Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sorry it's a problem for you.

The question is simple: Are certain human behaviors sinful.

Its telling you don't have an answer to it.
And the point you refuse to see is that it is not a matter of specific behavior that makes something a "sin," it is a matter of motivation. Laws themselves can only reflect well or poorly the governing principle and they ARE (or should be) subject to that concern for EVERYone that IS the basic principle of community and justice.

Citing a specific behavior that YOU think is against the rules without justifying that idea according to this principle is against what Jesus taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 11:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the point you refuse to see is that it is not a matter of specific behavior that makes something a "sin," it is a matter of motivation.
Seriously? Is raping a child OK, if done with proper motivation?

No, such behavior is always sinful.

Seems obvious you are simply looking for ways to justify your actions.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:49 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Behaviors that harm other people are what are wrong.

That someone compiled a list of what they thought God thought those behaviors were based on their norms and culture at the time does not automatically make them so.

The people that compiled that list were all men in a society run by males that was primarily concerned with bloodlines and property rights and tribal identification and the belief that men were superior to women. Those types of beliefs can indeed be, and have been, very, very harmful to others throughout history, particularly when it was declared that GOD said this is the way it is supposed to be.

Hence the clarification by Jesus that the prime directive on which to base behavior is to love one another.

Is murder harmful to another? Yes. Is stealing harmful to another? Yes. Is rape harmful to another? Yes.

Is two consenting adults having sex harmful to another? Not in and of itself, although it can be if by doing so a person is violating a commitment to another person not to have sex with someone else.

Is leaving a beaten man in a ditch because helping him might mean you aren't able to follow the rules to perform a ritual included in the aforementioned compiled list harmful? Yes.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-12-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 03:49 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:

Seems obvious you are simply looking for ways to justify your actions.
Please explain to me how raping a child CAN be properly motivated. Please incorporate into your explanation how rape demonstrates a concern for the child involved. Seriously, how oblivious ARE you?

Last edited by nateswift; 09-12-2018 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how raping a child CAN be properly motivated. Please incorporate into your explanation how rape demonstrates a concern for the child involved. Seriously, how oblivious ARE you?

No kidding. Too soon etc.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:22 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
He clearly has never thought about the implications of the requirement to consider the well-being of everyone concerned, Nate.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift
And the point you refuse to see is that it is not a matter of specific behavior that makes something a "sin," it is a matter of motivation.
Quote:

Quote:
Please explain to me how raping a child CAN be properly motivated.
Don't play dumb. I specifically said such behavior is always sinful. I asked you to explain your view, since you argue it is not matter of action, but motivation.

My point is that certain behaviors are ALWAYS sinful.

The original question was: "are certain human behaviors sinful", which the OP says is a core truth in Christianity This is something you (and others) to disagree with, and it looks like my example has you doubting your stance.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-13-2018 at 06:53 AM..

Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
I can't see that there's anything new age about dispensing with penal substitution or blood sacrifice, and especially when that is a foundational principle of the belief system. And by the way OP, they are 'tenets' of Christianity, not truths. A system of beliefs rooted in faith quickly becomes a cult when people refer to or have to accept them as "truths". Cults operate on fear - fear of rejection. One has to deal with that when the cognitive/emotional dissonance becomes too great. Better sooner than later.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
If you don't understand it, just say so. Don't say it is wrong because you cant understand it.

How about murder? Do you think God might consider it sinful?
As for murder, even Jesus sent the centurion back to wage war...

I said it is wrong because all you have done is say certain behaviors...

Is it wrong to steal food when you are hungry?

Seems there cannot be some universal claim that certain behaviors are wrong. It brings to mind the idea that whatever the powers to be decide are sinful, that will be the sin of the day.

If you believe all behaviors are sinful, just say so and I can sit back with the popcorn..

Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
As for murder, even Jesus sent the centurion back to wage war...

I said it is wrong because all you have done is say certain behaviors...

Is it wrong to steal food when you are hungry?

Seems there cannot be some universal claim that certain behaviors are wrong. It brings to mind the idea that whatever the powers to be decide are sinful, that will be the sin of the day.

If you believe all behaviors are sinful, just say so and I can sit back with the popcorn..
If you agree murder is sinful, then you agree certain behaviors are sinful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity