U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2018, 09:34 AM
 
Location: US
27,992 posts, read 15,074,605 times
Reputation: 1753

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
WHAT??????????


The Sabbath has everything to do with sin. That is when your supposed to rest from YOUR works. And Yours and my works ARE sin.
Nope, ya still got it wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 297,292 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Nope, ya still got it wrong...

It is legal in Judaism to ask Gentiles to do something on the Sabbath that is illegal for themselves to do, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 10:20 AM
 
4,422 posts, read 4,072,965 times
Reputation: 3569
What is so hard to understand about the Sabbath Command?


-DO NOT WORK (Ex 20:8-11)
-DO NOT HAVE OTHERS WORK FOR YOU (Ex 20:8-11)
-REST (Ex 20:8-11)
-HOLY CONVOCATION/SACRED ASSEMBLY IF YOU DESIRE (Lev 23:3, Is 66:23)



Done..It cat get anymore simple than that.

Last edited by SAAN; 09-25-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 10:49 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 297,292 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
What is so hard to understand about the Sabbath Command?


-DO NOT WORK (Ex 20:8-11)
-DO NOT HAVE OTHERS WORK FOR YOU (Ex 20:8-11)
-REST (Ex 20:8-11)
-HOLY CONVOCATION/SACRED ASSEMBLY IF YOU DESIRE (Lev 23:3, Is 66:23)



Done..It cat get anymore simply than that.

Good, thank you SAAN.


So work cannot be directed to be done ON the SABBATH.


So that tells us that the night of the 15th of Nissan couldn't be the Sabbath. Additionally, we know the tomb requested to be sealed during so that Jesus was not taken AT NIGHT. Therefore, the tomb was initially sealed then on the night of Nissan 15th that came after the FEAST DAY Period.



So for those would mean that those that believe the SABBATH starts at midnight to midnight or from sunrise to sunrise, it couldn't be so. That leaves to remaining options:


sunset to sunset

sunrise to sunset


Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
Mat 27:65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.
Mat 27:66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.





In the verses above the "next day, that followed the preparation" is actually referring to the FEAST OF UNLEAVENED BREAD. At this point Jesus is laying in the tomb and it has a stone rolled over the entrance and no work can be done during this "day" period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 10:54 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 297,292 times
Reputation: 55
So SAAN or RICHARD,


When does the SABBATH start? Does it start at NIGHT or when the EVENING HAS COME? And what would be defined as when the "evening has come"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 11:08 AM
 
4,422 posts, read 4,072,965 times
Reputation: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
So SAAN or RICHARD,


When does the SABBATH start? Does it start at NIGHT or when the EVENING HAS COME? And what would be defined as when the "evening has come"?

Per scriptures I would say evening.


ACTS 20:7
7 Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.


So the sun just set on Saturday and it is now the 1st day of the week and Paul spoke with them until midnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 12:18 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 297,292 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Per scriptures I would say evening.


ACTS 20:7
7 Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.


So the sun just set on Saturday and it is now the 1st day of the week and Paul spoke with them until midnight.



Just so I understand what your saying in the context of the verse. Your position is that the Sabbath would start at evening because, you believe the Breaking of Bread here would mean that evening had come?


Also, you believe therefore, that the "depart the next day" is still part of the same day?


I just want to understand your position on the verses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 12:28 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 297,292 times
Reputation: 55
Here is further proof that the DAY following the "night" is not part of the same day:


Joh 6:16 And when even was now come, his disciples went down unto the sea,
Joh 6:17 And entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.
Joh 6:18 And the sea arose by reason of a great wind that blew.
Joh 6:19 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid.
Joh 6:20 But he saith unto them, It is I; be not afraid.
Joh 6:21 Then they willingly received him into the ship: and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went.
I Am the Bread of Life
Joh 6:22 The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was none other boat there, save that one whereinto his disciples were entered, and that Jesus went not with his disciples into the boat, but that his disciples were gone away alone;
Joh 6:23 (Howbeit there came other boats from Tiberias nigh unto the place where they did eat bread, after that the Lord had given thanks
Joh 6:24 When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither his disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.
Joh 6:25 And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?



Therefore, the sabbath cannot begin at sunset and end at sunset. It would cross over into a new day that is apart from the previous day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Location: US
27,992 posts, read 15,074,605 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Here is further proof that the DAY following the "night" is not part of the same day:


Joh 6:16 And when even was now come, his disciples went down unto the sea,
Joh 6:17 And entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.
Joh 6:18 And the sea arose by reason of a great wind that blew.
Joh 6:19 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid.
Joh 6:20 But he saith unto them, It is I; be not afraid.
Joh 6:21 Then they willingly received him into the ship: and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went.
I Am the Bread of Life
Joh 6:22 The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was none other boat there, save that one whereinto his disciples were entered, and that Jesus went not with his disciples into the boat, but that his disciples were gone away alone;
Joh 6:23 (Howbeit there came other boats from Tiberias nigh unto the place where they did eat bread, after that the Lord had given thanks
Joh 6:24 When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither his disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.
Joh 6:25 And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?



Therefore, the sabbath cannot begin at sunset and end at sunset. It would cross over into a new day that is apart from the previous day.
Shabbat starts at sundown Friday which begins Saturday and ends at sundown Saturday which begins Sunday...It is a 24 hour period with a thirty minute buffer on either end which makes it a 25 hour period...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 12:58 PM
 
4,422 posts, read 4,072,965 times
Reputation: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Just so I understand what your saying in the context of the verse. Your position is that the Sabbath would start at evening because, you believe the Breaking of Bread here would mean that evening had come?


Also, you believe therefore, that the "depart the next day" is still part of the same day?


I just want to understand your position on the verses.
There sheer fact they wanted Jesus off the cross before the Sabbath (Feast of Unleavened Bread) began, shows they saw a new day starting at sunset.


Acts 20:7 is pretty clear. Paul came after sunset, which is now the 1st day of the week and spoke with them until midnight, which would have been about 6hrs and is actually realistic. If a new day was at sunrise, that would mean Paul came at 6am and then spoke with the people for 15 hrs unitl midnight, which is completely unrealistic.



Neh 13:19
When evening shadows fell on the gates of Jerusalem before the Sabbath, I ordered the doors to be shut and not opened until the Sabbath was over. I stationed some of my own men at the gates so that no load could be brought in on the Sabbath day.


Another example showing the Sabbath began at sunset.


Now as far as the command to rest on the Sabbath, that can be up for debate on wether you are supposed to rest the entire 24hr period or just from sunrise to sunset, seeing people probably were asleep when its dark anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top