U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:07 AM

27,953 posts, read 15,039,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Hannibal, refute me from the scriptures. Mike did a good job with quoting Leviticus and I gave him notice that he did so. Do you think I'm here to promote me or God? Show me the Truth, don't just say I'm wrong. I know the error of wanting to "be right".
Iím a Jew and my Shabbat begins when three stars are visible in the night sky on Friday evening and ends when I see three stars in the night sky on Saturday evening...It has always been this way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Mike, I don't doubt many Jews and Jewish leaders believes that sunset is the start of the Sabbath. It doesn't make it so.

I also, can't believe your speculation about the LXX, but I don't doubt it either. I just wouldn't tell someone they were wrong about it since I KNOW there is NOT enough information to prove it.
Definition of Nightfall

While a day starts and ends at nightfall, the exact moment when night ó and the next calendar date ó begins is not clear.

The twilight period, from sunset ("shekiah") until three stars are visible in the sky ("tzeit hakochavim"), is an "iffy" time period, known as "bein hashmashot." Shabbat and all the holidays begin at sunset, the earliest possible definition of nightfall, and end when three stars appear in the sky the next evening, the latest definition of nightfall. - https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...Jewish-Day.htm

According to the Jewish calendar, not only Jewish holidays begin at nightfall, but every day does.

This is based on the story of creation in Genesis, where at the end of each day it says, "And it was evening, and it was morning; day one", "And it was evening, and it was morning; the second day" etc. By mentioning evening before morning, the Torah defines a day as beginning with the evening, followed by the morning. - https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...-nightfall.htm

Old 09-12-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
It was to teach of us resting from our works (works of sin) and is a type of the day that comes when Christ shall usher in His Reign on Earth and destroy sin.
You have that totally wrong...

Old 09-12-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
No I acknowledged that - THAT Sabbath began at sunset - The Day of Atonement. Again, Nehemiah is not showing that the Sabbath starts at sunset. Nehemiah is showing that the gates were closed at sunset in preparation for the Sabbath to keep the merchants from entering in.
Where does it say that it was the Day of Atonement?...

Old 09-12-2018, 03:34 AM

Quote:
For you that believe the Sabbath starts at sunset. Why did the people bring Jesus the sick after sunset had come:

Mar 1:32 And evening having come, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all who were ill, and who were demoniacs,
Where does it state that that was the Sabbath?...

Old 09-12-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
The women were going to the tomb at the rising of the sun. It should be clear to anyone that studied this that to go earlier would be futile since the tomb was still to be sealed until the day started as decreed.

It was still dark but it was also the point at which the sun was rising and therefore the first day of the week.

The Sabbath Day is the period of the Day in which the sun is rising to the point at which it is set.
Where do you see this?...

Old 09-12-2018, 05:40 AM

16,256 posts, read 7,644,495 times
Quote:
For you that believe the Sabbath starts at sunset. Why did the people bring Jesus the sick after sunset had come:

Mar 1:32 And evening having come, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all who were ill, and who were demoniacs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where does it state that that was the Sabbath?...
In verse 21 it says it was the Sabbath when he performed two healings, and what HeWillCome2040 is obviously missing is that the people waited until Sabbath was over at sunset to bring people to Jesus.

I notice he hasn't said why his trivial error is important.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
In verse 21 it says it was the Sabbath when he performed two healings, and what HeWillCome2040 is obviously missing is that the people waited until Sabbath was over at sunset to bring people to Jesus.

I notice he hasn't said why his trivial error is important.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 AM

1,259 posts, read 295,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Iím a Jew and my Shabbat begins when three stars are visible in the night sky on Friday evening and ends when I see three stars in the night sky on Saturday evening...It has always been this way...

Yes, I posted this thread in the Christianity forum since I'm referring to the Sabbath as it relates to Christianity and not trying to debate what Jews believe even though I believe they observed the same.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 AM

1,259 posts, read 295,523 times
the Sabbath Day is only the period from sunrise to sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or