U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2018, 04:24 PM
 
1,514 posts, read 1,000,952 times
Reputation: 2005

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
A person or someone in their blood line can open the door to demonic activity. I don't know about possession - I think that is probably very rare. But we can certainly give the demonic permission to harass us. Unrepented sin is a big open door. Dealings with the occult gives the demonic permission to affect a person's life. Yes, the demonic is very real.

^
Well said.


As a side note Father Malachi Martin based his book "Hostage to the Devil" on those concepts. True possession, as opposed to harassment, only occurs when an individual willfully invites the demonic in. It should be noted, however, that the "invitation" does not have to be direct and is also very difficult to retract.


In addition, Martin differentiated between Possession (very rare) and "Perfect Possession" (even more rare)when the individual is not only possessed, but is fully accepting of the possession. Such people are said to be in the active service of the demonic and are themselves, fully evil and cannot be excorcized (sp).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2018, 12:08 AM
 
20,419 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Christians can't be possessed by a demon because they have the Spirit in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
This "us" only mentality is absurd: The Spirit of life resides within all living creatures, not just Christians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The "us" mentality is what attracts many to that type of thinking, whether it's with religion or something else. I'm special, in the secret club, going to reap benefits that the others won't get--and looking forward with barely-concealed excitement to getting something that others won't get.

Without the "some go to hell and some go to heaven" framework, many of these types would not be attracted to their religion. "There are Us and there are Them" is a strong selling point, and sadly, it takes away from the reality of looking for that which connects us all.
True. I have found that religion makes people believe that some are better than others, which influences things like pride, hatred, misdirected jealousy, envy, scorn, lies, and deceitfulness that divide and separate people. And, it is used as a scapegoat to persecute others of a different faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 07:57 AM
 
1,078 posts, read 771,459 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How any intelligent, compassionate or loving person could condemn others to an infinite place of pain and suffering is beyond me; that thought could only come from an evil spirit, which holds that person in bondage to the fear of their own mortality.
Who said anything about it being infinite? What if God gives a soul a 'time-out'? I believe there is suffering in the afterlife due to remorse..that is my definition of hell. It is not permanent by any means but it does exist. Only sociopaths, liars, murderers, etc need to worry though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM
 
10,643 posts, read 2,720,219 times
Reputation: 7204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
^
Well said.


As a side note Father Malachi Martin based his book "Hostage to the Devil" on those concepts. True possession, as opposed to harassment, only occurs when an individual willfully invites the demonic in. It should be noted, however, that the "invitation" does not have to be direct and is also very difficult to retract.


In addition, Martin differentiated between Possession (very rare) and "Perfect Possession" (even more rare)when the individual is not only possessed, but is fully accepting of the possession. Such people are said to be in the active service of the demonic and are themselves, fully evil and cannot be excorcized (sp).
Ive read some other things of Malachi Martins, certain things he said are very frightening if true, and the church didnt like that he was talking about these things either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 AM
 
5,965 posts, read 1,706,554 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
This "us" only mentality is absurd: The Spirit of life resides within all living creatures, not just Christians.
Your attempts to hijack this conversation aside, this isn't a question of that. Do you have an issue with sticking to the topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 AM
 
5,965 posts, read 1,706,554 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The "us" mentality is what attracts many to that type of thinking, whether it's with religion or something else. I'm special, in the secret club, going to reap benefits that the others won't get--and looking forward with barely-concealed excitement to getting something that others won't get.

Without the "some go to hell and some go to heaven" framework, many of these types would not be attracted to their religion. "There are Us and there are Them" is a strong selling point, and sadly, it takes away from the reality of looking for that which connects us all.
Actually, the question that the poster made was an attempt to hijack the thread. It would be nice if you didn't engage in it, as well. This isn't the question of "us versus them". It wasn't my point. It was so far from the topic, it's incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,117 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Reputation: 66508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, the question that the poster made was an attempt to hijack the thread. It would be nice if you didn't engage in it, as well. This isn't the question of "us versus them". It wasn't my point. It was so far from the topic, it's incredible.
I just looked back and the post to which I responded does not appear to be an attempt to hijack the thread at all. It was a direct answer to a claim you made. If it wasn't your point that Christians are somehow special, then please clarify, because that's how I read it, too.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 AM
 
20,419 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
This "us" only mentality is absurd: The Spirit of life resides within all living creatures, not just Christians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Your attempts to hijack this conversation aside, this isn't a question of that. Do you have an issue with sticking to the topic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, the question that the poster made was an attempt to hijack the thread. It would be nice if you didn't engage in it, as well. This isn't the question of "us versus them". It wasn't my point. It was so far from the topic, it's incredible.
Oppression is a process of dehumanization, you might say it's a demon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 AM
 
20,419 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just looked back and the post to which I responded does not appear to be an attempt to hijack the thread at all. It was a direct answer to a claim you made. If it wasn't your point that Christians are somehow special, then please clarify, because that's how I read it, too.
Some people like to scream "wolf."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 PM
 
5,965 posts, read 1,706,554 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just looked back and the post to which I responded does not appear to be an attempt to hijack the thread at all. It was a direct answer to a claim you made. If it wasn't your point that Christians are somehow special, then please clarify, because that's how I read it, too.

Look again. It was completely off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top