U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2018, 04:38 AM
 
Location: knoxville, Tn.
4,723 posts, read 1,220,259 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
It was a comparison.

It was not a comparison. You stuck it in like it was part of the verse. Those not familiar with theBible would think it is part of the verse.


Quote:
You said god hates and I quoted your god and it feelings for its human creation it screwed up with.

I said God thate what Esau represents, not Esau. God does hate what should be hated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2018, 02:02 PM
 
435 posts, read 117,248 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I do not believe God ever ordered ANY of the barbarity in the Bible but Sum Tingy and other Fundies DO. They consider everything in the Bible to be the infallible and inerrant truth from the mouth of God which is preposterous. There is no way flawed humans could receive and interpret inspirations flawlessly. The Bible CONTAINS inspirations from God but not everything in it. We have the "mind of Christ" to know what is and what is not from God.
You are certainly entitled to your opinions. Are you a Christian mystic? Do you have a statement of faith, e.g.: https://forum.evangelicaluniversalis...lease-read/120

Again, though, i would point out that God allows worse things every day than what you read in the OT. How do you explain that.

You seem to think taking a life (e.g. fire bombing Sodom) is barbarity. Life is a gift of God which no one deserves, everyone is going to lose (tick tock) sooner or later & it is therefore His right to end it when He wishes to, especially in the case of the wicked, which is usually the case in the Scriptures, & which is good for the rest of humanity. Killing, whether its the wicked or not, is not barbarity, & does not end the killed but sends them to another realm where they experience a postmortem existence (e.g. Lk.16:19-31).

Such is a common belief among Christians (EO, RC, Protestants, etc) since the beginnings of the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 PM
 
40,100 posts, read 26,767,323 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinions. Are you a Christian mystic? Do you have a statement of faith, e.g.: https://forum.evangelicaluniversalis...lease-read/120

Again, though, i would point out that God allows worse things every day than what you read in the OT. How do you explain that.

You seem to think taking a life (e.g. fire bombing Sodom) is barbarity. Life is a gift of God which no one deserves, everyone is going to lose (tick tock) sooner or later & it is therefore His right to end it when He wishes to, especially in the case of the wicked, which is usually the case in the Scriptures, & which is good for the rest of humanity. Killing, whether its the wicked or not, is not barbarity, & does not end the killed but sends them to another realm where they experience a postmortem existence (e.g. Lk.16:19-31).

Such is a common belief among Christians (EO, RC, Protestants, etc) since the beginnings of the church.
I follow Christ and so in this forum I am a Christian. But I have an alternate view of Christ and the True Nature of God based on my experience in deep meditation. I reject ALL evil and barbarity such as an eternal torment Hell or blood sacrifices of innocents to appease God that are attributed to God. The consciousness I encountered that matches perfectly the descriptions of the Holy Spirit and the "mind of Christ" would NOT abide any such evil and barbarity for ANY reason. You can continue to maintain the contradictory nature of God embedded in the primitive scriptures but I do not. The Holy Spirit as described in 1st Cor 13, The Sermon on the Mount and Galatians 5 is unambiguous. It provides a perfect standard against which to test the spirit of ANYTHING attributed to God or Jesus. Anything that contradicts or is incompatible with the descriptions of the Holy Spirit can NOT be from God or Jesus, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Status: "An English arse is stalking me." (set 20 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,372 posts, read 8,910,346 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I follow Christ and so in this forum I am a Christian. But I have an alternate view of Christ and the True Nature of God based on my experience in deep meditation. I reject ALL evil and barbarity such as an eternal torment Hell or blood sacrifices of innocents to appease God that are attributed to God. The consciousness I encountered that matches perfectly the descriptions of the Holy Spirit and the "mind of Christ" would NOT abide any such evil and barbarity for ANY reason. You can continue to maintain the contradictory nature of God embedded in the primitive scriptures but I do not. The Holy Spirit as described in 1st Cor 13, The Sermon on the Mount and Galatians 5 is unambiguous. It provides a perfect standard against which to test the spirit of ANYTHING attributed to God or Jesus. Anything that contradicts or is incompatible with the descriptions of the Holy Spirit can NOT be from God or Jesus, period.
You follow Christ but you donít believe everything He said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 06:32 PM
 
40,100 posts, read 26,767,323 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You follow Christ but you donít believe everything He said.
I believe everything He said that is compatible with the Holy Spirit He described and demonstrated so unambiguously, Jimmie. You refuse to test the spirit of everything attributed to Him by primitive men under the veil of ignorance over reading the OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 PM
 
Location: New England
32,248 posts, read 21,127,372 times
Reputation: 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You follow Christ but you donít believe everything He said.
He taught the foundation of our lives that should BE HIS sayings,i'm sure those sayings are in your bible too in Matt 5. These saying Jesus said are what we were to build our lives upon.... To be saved to the heaven fundamentalists hope in? no and a thousand times no, but that here on this earthly plain the kingdom of God made manifest in us too, just like it was in Jesus. As he is so are we in this world.

Can you point me to what Jesus said that we must believe in. He never taught us to believe anything other than believe him concerning how to live the abundant life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 07:15 PM
 
Location: South-Western USA , desert
493 posts, read 374,273 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Here's how a Calvinist "proved" that God doesn't love everyone . . .

The Creator of heavens & earth never said that he loves everyone.
In fact, He clearly states that he hates people who do certain things in opposition to his will!
So . . . why did he feel the need to prove it . . . ?


Notice the following excerpt from a commentary on a few verses from the Bible book of Proverbs:


"The intensification of a number by the next one higher is used many times by Bible writers.
(Job 5:19; 33:29; Prov. 30:15, 16, 18, 19, 21-31; Isa. 17:6; Amos 1:3, 6, 9, 11, 13; 2:1, 4, 6)

"At Proverbs 6:16-19, the numbers are not to be understood literally,
as if to say that God hates only six or seven things. The seven categories cover all types of wrongful acts.

"The first six focus on three categories of wrongdoing
​—in thought (“lofty eyes,” “a heart fabricating hurtful schemes”),
—in word (“a false tongue,” “a false witness that launches forth lies”), and,
in deed (“hands that are shedding innocent blood,” “feet that are in a hurry to run to badness”).

"Especially hateful is the seventh type of individual mentioned.
He takes keen delight in kindling strife among persons who otherwise would dwell together peacefully.

"The increase from six to seven [things that God hates] suggests that humans keep multiplying their evil deeds.

"When a person comes to appreciate that the Creator views pride, scheming and lying on a level with bloodshed and other violent acts, he should be moved to make vital changes within himself. The consequence will be improved relationships with others and greater joy in everyday life. . . ."

Source:

"The Book of Proverbs​
—Abundant Wisdom in Few Words"
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1980126


One of several other indications of God's hate for such things
is what God's Word says happens to people who knowingly & willfully practice such a life course:

"For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth,
there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left." (Hebrews 10:26)

[All] the transgressors will be destroyed;
The future of wicked people will be cut off."---Psalm 37:38


God knows his own mind, and he has stated his true feelings on the matter.
Therefore, there is no need to try to prove it in any other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Status: "An English arse is stalking me." (set 20 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,372 posts, read 8,910,346 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I believe everything He said that is compatible with the Holy Spirit He described and demonstrated so unambiguously, Jimmie. You refuse to test the spirit of everything attributed to Him by primitive men under the veil of ignorance over reading the OT.
You donít believe Jesus, even though the prophets before Him and the Apostles after Him said the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 PM
 
40,100 posts, read 26,767,323 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You donít believe Jesus, even though the prophets before Him and the Apostles after Him said the same thing.
I believe Jesus, Jimmie. so stop saying I don't. It is the prophets and apostles saying the same things our primitive ancestors said under the veil of ignorance from reading the OT that I reject. Jesus said many times, "you have been told . . . but I say." Jesus was limited to providing "carnal milk" and NOT "solid food" to His apostles and followers. We were supposed to discern the "solid food" when we matured spiritually enough. Instead, the leaders of the churches stagnated their understanding to the "carnal milk" as a sign of faith in God and perpetuated it to this day. It is a travesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Status: "An English arse is stalking me." (set 20 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,372 posts, read 8,910,346 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I believe Jesus, Jimmie. so stop saying I don't. It is the prophets and apostles saying the same things our primitive ancestors said under the veil of ignorance from reading the OT that I reject. Jesus said many times, "you have been told . . . but I say." Jesus was limited to providing "carnal milk" and NOT "solid food" to His apostles and followers. We were supposed to discern the "solid food" when we matured spiritually enough. Instead, the leaders of the churches stagnated their understanding to the "carnal milk" as a sign of faith in God and perpetuated it to this day. It is a travesty.
Jesus corrected the leaders, not the scripture.

No, you donít believe Jesus. You canít say you do and then turn around and put His words to the test. His words match the prophets before Him and the Apostles after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top