U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 AM

6,019 posts, read 1,720,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
I commonly see posts or other statements made by Evangelical Christians questioning whether those in Mainline denominations such as the Presbyterian Church, the Episcopal Church, the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America), the Methodist Church, or the United Church of Christ are truly Christians or saved. There is often an implication that these churches have strayed far from Biblical teaching and doctrine and Christian Orthodoxy and that these churches preach an overly watered down Christianity which speaks more about doing good things within a culturally/politically correct context. I attend a Presbyterian Church and have evangelical leanings myself but see these critiques of mainline denominations as missing the mark as the Presbyterian and Methodist services I have attended preach the Gospel in its full, unfiltered form. Do Evangelicals view these those in Mainline Protestant denominations as saved if they have professed faith in Christ, and if not, what do they feel these churches are doing wrong?
Some are. It's about the person and their relationship with Christ, not the church. The question is...do they consider THEMSELVES saved?

By the way, for what it's worth, a Presbyterian Pastor, D. James Kennedy, created an excellent method of sharing the Gospel, Evangelism Explosion. He certainly saw a need for evangelism, and I'm sure he's now in the presence of Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Status: "Welcome, to the Haunted Mansion..." (set 8 hours ago)

16,401 posts, read 8,932,397 times
Quote:
Hey, Troutdude and Omega 2xx I know you guys don't agree with each other on anything but I intended this thread to be a forum for serious discussion so please stop wasting space on underhandedly slighting and insulting each other.
Troutdude is a cyber bully. Thatís why heís here, period. I urge you to ignore him.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:18 PM

6,019 posts, read 1,720,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Troutdude is a cyber bully. Thatís why heís here, period. I urge you to ignore him.
I second that. My time here is much more enjoyable once I realized that.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:14 PM

25,958 posts, read 13,487,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Troutdude is a cyber bully. That’s why he’s here, period. I urge you to ignore him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I second that. My time here is much more enjoyable once I realized that.

I understand that the truth hurts both of you and hence you shy from it. But just because you two are afraid of me doesn't mean others are.

(Sorry for the further derail OP, but the cowards required a response.)

Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM

987 posts, read 358,850 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's a sin to troll and tell outright laws on this board about a seminary experience you never had. I'm Arab, and my father is an Arab Muslim, so nice try with the anti-BDS argument though.
The purpose of a scoffer, be they religious or atheist, is to deny the truth and call one who speaks it a liar. It's always been that way. Apparently nothing has changed.

My seminary experience is the truth.

I don't expect an Arab to believe it. Christians don't. Why should you?

It is, however, a rather harsh example of how debauched the church has become. It has betrayed the gospel of Jesus Christ and none of its members seem to care. It is really that bad. Don't you read the newspapers? What do they say? Tell me, please. The church is no longer holy - in the eyes of God or man. THAT sir, is the truth. My testimony is a rather small one, but it is mine nonetheless.

As far as anti-BDS is concerned:

You don't want to admit the Holy Qur'an has something specific to say about the subject or that the Prophet [PBUH], the apostle of Allah, speaks truth. Muslims, like Christians and Jews, seem to only want to believe things they want to believe from their own holy books and teachers. The rest they ignore. This too is truth.

THE PROBLEM with a sincere search for truth is that it will be found. Once truth is discovered the seeker will learn that truth demands action that is usually uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous. This is why mankind prefers to live in the darkness of self-delusion. We deliberately cover our eyes with myths and slogans and buzz words and lies so as to justify our refusal to do that which truth demands of us. And so we die - victims of our own deceit and cowardice.

That being said, my post was to the church in America not to foreign religions and alien philosophies. The consequences of God's actions against the church as well as all those who oppose His purpose with regard to the State of Israel cannot be said any stronger than the words of the prophet Ezekiel 25.

6 For thus saith the Lord GOD;
Because thou hast clapped thine hands, and stamped with the feet, and rejoiced in heart with all thy spite against the land of Israel;

7 Behold, therefore I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and will deliver thee for a spoil to the heathen;
and I will cut thee off from the people, and I will cause thee to perish out of the countries:

I WILL DESTROY THEE;

and thou shalt know that I am the LORD.

This is a message to the American churches who have raised their voices against Israel by joining the BDS movement. Their judgment shall be in line with the judgment they've pronounced upon Israel;

What God has given to them will be taken away.

Watch and learn pilgrim. Write it down, scoffer, and read the words in the not too distant future. You will see it has happened even as it was described.

The American church has forgotten God. The fear of God is far from their considerations. They shall learn an expensive painful lesson.

It is time to repent of sin and rebellion against God and God's people. It is time to put away fetishes and wickedness. It is time to humbly seek peace in the Name of Jesus Christ.

REPENT.

God is not willing that any suffer or die, but many seem not to care.

It is time to start caring.....as in the old days when allegiance to Christ was first pledged.

It is time to REPENT.....again and for all time.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by Choir Loft; 09-20-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Do these 'Mainline Protestant Denominations' teach and preach Romans 10 : 9 - 10, Ephesians 2 : 8-9, John 3 : 16 - 19, John 14 : 6, all of 1 John, etc.?

I can't speak to anyone's salvation status
It's not 'salvation status' that's the issue.

You quote scripture and you do well, but most churches preach situational ethics - ethics that are in line with political correctness. You know what I'm referring to here don't you?

Many churches preach "happy talk to put butts in pews" as I actually heard one preacher admit during his sermon. You know what I mean here do you not?

Many churches preach the gospel of prosperity. You know about that too I assume. It's so bad that the American mission to foreign nations, especially Central and South America, has literally imploded - collapsed because promised prosperity hasn't arrived there.

Many churches and synagogues also preach "if it feels good, do it." This isn't strange to you either, but the idea it's so rampant and widespread is difficult to digest.

There is some sort of deadly fever that's attacked the churches and synagogues of America, and its end will not be a good one.

The church has betrayed the gospel.

How can one be saved if the gospel of Jesus Christ is kept under a bushel?

Please tell me. I want to know how this particular magic is accomplished.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Mainline Protestant groups place a great deal of emphasis on Salvation by Faith alone. It is one of the main reasons they rebelled against the Catholic Church (rejection of the sale of indulgences to escape Purgatory). All of the other verses, yes they are emphasized in the confessional statements of these Churches as all of them recite the Apostles Creed which essentially rephrases the above passages.
The main reason for the Protestant Reformation was a control issue.

Nationalism was sweeping back and forth across Europe. People were rising up against their monarchs. Religious leaders were in lock-step with the situation. They opposed the control of the Vatican - they wanted to wrest control of believers (and believer's pocket money) from the hands of the church of Rome. The God Business, you see, has always been quite profitable for those who know how to pull the strings - for those in control.

As it was then, so it is now.

Protestant churches are not any different from the Roman Catholic church, which today will tell you that salvation is by faith. Neither of them is markedly different from the massive congregations of the Orthodox communion either.

It's all about who has control.

The same is true in the Muslim world. Shiite vs. Sunny. It's all about who is in control of the religious mob.

That's it and that's all.

Oh yes, and did I mention that God has nothing to do with the subject. God or Jesus or Muhammad [pbuh] are all puppets on the stage of international religious control mechanisms. Nobody in the churches or mosques really cares about God or Allah. They all play follow-the-leader into whatever mischief the leaders determine.....funded of course by their followers.

The church was built and maintained by men who had one hand on the Bible and the other hand in someone else's pocket.

You know its true because that's what they want you to believe.

Nobody gives a damn about God or what God wants.

The ironic thing is that God has yet to be heard in the matter. Considering He has a rather big voice, perhaps we ought all of us to REPENT of our sins and beg His forgiveness.

[This message is provided free of charge.....]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or