Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:56 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
I commonly see posts or other statements made by Evangelical Christians questioning whether those in Mainline denominations such as the Presbyterian Church, the Episcopal Church, the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America), the Methodist Church, or the United Church of Christ are truly Christians or saved. There is often an implication that these churches have strayed far from Biblical teaching and doctrine and Christian Orthodoxy and that these churches preach an overly watered down Christianity which speaks more about doing good things within a culturally/politically correct context. I attend a Presbyterian Church and have evangelical leanings myself but see these critiques of mainline denominations as missing the mark as the Presbyterian and Methodist services I have attended preach the Gospel in its full, unfiltered form. Do Evangelicals view these those in Mainline Protestant denominations as saved if they have professed faith in Christ, and if not, what do they feel these churches are doing wrong?

I won't comment on if they are saved. Only God knows.

What they are doing wrong is denying the inspiration of Scripture, and only following he ones they agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Everything evangelicals say, believe and do should be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone seeking the reality of God would do well to avoid the beliefs system of the evangelicals, ignore this warning at your peril.

Those like you, who make up their own theology, much of which is not Biblical and reject inspiration, are the one in danger. How can anyone following the Scriptures be in peril?

Old 09-18-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I maintain that most of the people sitting in buildings every week are poorly taught and don't have a clue about the real gospel. You say "services I have attended preach the Gospel in its full, unfiltered form" so could you elaborate on that gospel that saves?

You comment doe snot app;y to conservative denominations.

before I say what the gospel that saves is,I would like you to tell me what it is, with supporting Scripture.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
As best I can articulate, when I say in its full unfiltered form, namely that mankind has been separated from God by sin, that God sent Jesus Christ as his only son to provide blood atonement for our Sins, that he was crucified by Pontius Pilate, died, was resurrected and ascended into heaven and is consubstantial with God the Father and will return to judge the living and the dead. That Jesus was both fully Human and Fully God. That we are saved only by faith in him. That we must repent our sins and live according to the principles of the infallible word of God found in the scriptures.

Repentance comes after salvation. The unsaved see no reason to repent.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,070 times
Quote:
Really? Can you prove that statement by referring to personal experience, study, or confessional statements by these denominations? Have you ever attended any of them? Or are you just repeating something that a minister told you because of their disagreements?

The Presbyterian Church uses the Westminister Confession of Faith as its standard which is pretty intensely Calvinist. All of the aforementioned churches have a history that dates back hundreds of years and are much closer in form to the Orthodox Standards of Christianity as presented in the first few centuries of its practice than any Evangelical group today which are often ego-driven and prone to fall apart as fast as they are formed (witness the rise and fall of Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church in Seattle). I am not knocking Evangelical Churches, for they have many positives. However, they owe a debt they are unwilling to acknowledge to what came before them. The Methodist Church and the ELCA (it's in the name of the denomination for goodness sakes) are fundamentally evangelical in outlook and are only grouped as mainline in comparison to the churches that exist now which lean to the right of them.

Think about what you say before you say it.
Why yes, I ca prove that the mention on many of the Organizations do have heretical teachings and are far removed from sound doctrine.

You can it look as well as I can on their belief on salvation, acceptance of deviancy in the leadership, belief in the Scriptures as infallible divinly guided by the Spirit, and multiple other unbiblical stances.

Interesting that you mix in some churches grounded in biblical teaching with other groups that are extremely progressive.

I suggest you rethink your stance. Willfull Ignorance does not garner any favors in heaven.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Only fundies require saving - saving from their blinkered ignorance.

Which is why I have offered my services so selflessly here for six years.

It is more than amusing, it is laughable to for one ignorant of the subject thinking they can help.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:14 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
It is more than amusing, it is laughable to for one ignorant of the subject thinking they can help.

I agree that you are beyond help. But there's hope for others. I will heroically continue to pursue my vocation.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Why yes, I ca prove that the mention on many of the Organizations do have heretical teachings and are far removed from sound doctrine.

You can it look as well as I can on their belief on salvation, acceptance of deviancy in the leadership, belief in the Scriptures as infallible divinly guided by the Spirit, and multiple other unbiblical stances.

Interesting that you mix in some churches grounded in biblical teaching with other groups that are extremely progressive.

I suggest you rethink your stance. Willfull Ignorance does not garner any favors in heaven.
What would be interesting would be whether you could name any organization that does NOT hold ideas that are not regarded as heretical by some other group very much like yours.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:43 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
As best I can articulate, when I say in its full unfiltered form, namely that mankind has been separated from God by sin, that God sent Jesus Christ as his only son to provide blood atonement for our Sins, that he was crucified by Pontius Pilate, died, was resurrected and ascended into heaven and is consubstantial with God the Father and will return to judge the living and the dead. That Jesus was both fully Human and Fully God. That we are saved only by faith in him. That we must repent our sins and live according to the principles of the infallible word of God found in the scriptures.

There is an actual gospel given to Paul that is rarely heard that ALL of the body of Christ should use.........

15 Now I would remind you, brothers,1 of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,

Nothing is to be added or subtracted from this gospel, and that is where almost all groups fail.....thinking they need to add their own useless traditions on to it. WRONG move........

Old 09-18-2018, 01:50 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
I won't comment on if they are saved. Only God knows.
What they are doing wrong is denying the inspiration of Scripture, and only following he ones they agree with.
We follow Jesus the Living Word of God under the New Covenant "written in our hearts" by God. You follow a book that tells us ABOUT Jesus and the Old Covenant "written in ink."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity