U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2018, 01:06 PM
 
Location: central Florida
981 posts, read 356,240 times
Reputation: 259

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You cannot be fruitful and multiply, if you are not motivated by love.
Love has nothing to do with it.

Ask a sailor.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 PM
 
Location: central Florida
981 posts, read 356,240 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Those like Mr. Jarber take everything literally, which doesn't leave room for growth and maturity.
Proper interpretation of scripture follows a pattern;

- The Bible interprets itself.
(External references are neither necessary nor appropriate.)

- A passage is to be taken literally unless otherwise indicated.
(The Bible means what it says and says what it means.)

- Exceptions to literal interpretation are:
Biblical poetry, parables, proverbs, object lessons and textual illustrations to name a few.

- Context is always important in interpreting the meaning of a passage of scripture.

What is context?

from Dictionary.com
1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect:

2. the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

Context is a tool for determining the interpretation of a passage in the same way a screwdriver is a tool for inserting a fastener.

Christians usually disagree about interpretation of a particular passage because;
1. they have inadequate knowledge of the Bible
2. they have never acquired study skills
3. they approach Biblical interpretation with subjective presuppositions

The unfortunate ailment that afflicts many today is post modernist philosophy taught by church leaders as well as the influence of secular society toward subjectivism.

Subjective thought rules today and it does not rule well. For instance, one of the Ten Commandments states that one ought not commit adultery. Yet movies books and private conversation are full of adulterous references if not overt performance of this violation of God's Law. Jesus said its a sin to even think about it.(*)

The Law to refrain from adultery is absolute, that which is generally defined as objective certainty or logic. Adultery is a sin. Society as well as debauched churches and synagogues approve of adultery. If it feels good do it, they say. Such an attitude is subjectively based upon personal perversity and passion, not respect for or obedience to God's Law.

The end result of subjective thought otherwise known as post modernism is licentiousness - a total absence of a standard of behavior. For instance, the Bible story of the wreck of Sodom & Gomorrah is an object lesson which teaches God's abhorrence of a licentious life style - one that denies the efficacy and value of Law.

The absence of objective values and knowledge is why Christians argue from a personal point of view. They simply have nowhere else to go to interpret scripture. Absence of knowledge breeds foolish words and erroneous attitudes.

This is why mountains are made of mole hills, why the minuscule is magnified and why sin is rampant among us. God's Law is thus ground under foot when everyone assumes he knows better than the Almighty.

This is why judgment stands at the door.

The time to repent of our sins and wickedness is now.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

(*)
John chapter 8 describes an example in Case Law; A woman was caught in adultery and brought before Jesus, who forgave her a sin that might otherwise result in public execution. BUT at the end of the narrative Jesus tells her to "go out and sin no more". He did NOT allow her to open a brothel. Post modernist subjective thinking would excuse her excess and give her license to sin again, but Jesus wouldn't allow it. Forgiveness is granted SO THAT one may live according to the Law. It is never a license to sin.

Last edited by Choir Loft; 09-21-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 02:08 PM
 
20,389 posts, read 9,825,009 times
Reputation: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You cannot be fruitful and multiply, if you are not motivated by love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Love has nothing to do with it.

Ask a sailor.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
So, they were told to have sex, gotcha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM
 
20,389 posts, read 9,825,009 times
Reputation: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Proper interpretation of scripture follows a pattern;

- The Bible interprets itself.
(External references are neither necessary nor appropriate.)

- A passage is to be taken literally unless otherwise indicated.
(The Bible means what it says and says what it means.)

- Exceptions to literal interpretation are:
Biblical poetry, parables, proverbs, object lessons and textual illustrations to name a few.

- Context is always important in interpreting the meaning of a passage of scripture.

What is context?

from Dictionary.com
1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect:

2. the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

Context is a tool for determining the interpretation of a passage in the same way a screwdriver is a tool for inserting a fastener.

Christians usually disagree about interpretation of a particular passage because;
1. they have inadequate knowledge of the Bible
2. they have never acquired study skills
3. they approach Biblical interpretation with subjective presuppositions

The unfortunate ailment that afflicts many today is post modernist philosophy taught by church leaders as well as the influence of secular society toward subjectivism.

Subjective thought rules today and it does not rule well. For instance, one of the Ten Commandments states that one ought not commit adultery. Yet movies books and private conversation are full of adulterous references if not overt performance of this violation of God's Law. Jesus said its a sin to even think about it.(*)

The Law to refrain from adultery is absolute, that which is generally defined as objective certainty or logic. Adultery is a sin. Society and debauched churches approve of adultery. If it feels good do it, they say. Such an attitude is subjectively based upon personal perversity and passion, not respect for or obedience to God's Law.

The end result of subjective thought otherwise known as post modernism is licentiousness - a total absence of a standard of behavior. For instance, the Bible story of the wreck of Sodom & Gomorrah is an object lesson which teaches God's abhorrence of a licentious life style - one that denies the efficacy and value of Law.

The absence of objective values and knowledge is why Christians argue from a personal point of view. They simply have nowhere else to go to interpret scripture. Absence of knowledge breeds foolish words and erroneous attitudes.

This is why mountains are made of mole hills, why the minuscule is magnified and why sin is rampant among us. God's Law is thus ground under foot when everyone assumes he knows better than the Almighty.

This is why judgment stands at the door.

The time to repent of our sins and wickedness is now.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
The plethora of religiosity is judgment. No doubt the result of the thought processes of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 02:20 PM
 
Location: New England
32,225 posts, read 21,104,768 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Those like Mr. Jarber take everything literally, which doesn't leave room for growth and maturity.
Taking everything literal is a colorless state of being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 10:41 PM
 
20,389 posts, read 9,825,009 times
Reputation: 1677
God is defined by love, which is the most fruitful branch of any tree. Love is what produces faithfulness and inspires growth. It gives humanity the reason for hope and nurtures those around us. What we can see from reading the Scriptures is that He wants more fruit from us, not bigger branches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,045 posts, read 34,328,004 times
Reputation: 10466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I am not held in bondage to your perceptions or the perceptions of others.
But I do find the ignorance of today more alarming than that of yesterday.
Is it so hard to give a straight answer to a simple question

Its like asking someone for the time, and getting a reply "the earth is round".

Finally you admitted you are not answering out of fear of being entrapped. Are you kidding me?

Fine. Hide. Don't answer.

The verse in question refers to the fruit of the womb. What I find strange is people who regard OT as writings of ignorant savages are suddenly taking genesis for Gospel. Make up your minds folks.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-22-2018 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,045 posts, read 34,328,004 times
Reputation: 10466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Those like Mr. Jarber take everything literally, which doesn't leave room for growth and maturity.
Sure, be creative and invent a whole new meaning to replace the obvious

“Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” = The Cleveland Browns will defeat the New York Jets on Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 AM
 
Location: US
27,963 posts, read 15,050,737 times
Reputation: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
"be fruitful and multiply?" is from Genesis where God told Adam and Eve to have children.

"you love one another as I have loved you" is from John 13 where Jesus tells his disciples to love each other. He continued: "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another".

These were his parting instructions to the disciples.
And G-d had told them to be fruitful and multiply while they were still in Gan Eden...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,169,155 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
So, they were told to have sex, gotcha!
Because if we hadnít been commanded to, no human would ever have sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top