U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:55 AM

27,991 posts, read 15,070,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, as I often say, the message of Jesus was the culmination of developing thought in the Jewish community. If Hillel had been right and the idea recognized at the time all that would have been needed would have been the recognition that it should be applied to the whole world.

AND such things as stoning and genocide would not have been tolerated
How many people were stoned?...

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...n-One-Foot.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 07:59 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,177,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Did you read my post at all?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir

You seem to have great opinion. Answer me this; which of the Ten Commandments is evil wrong and bad?
I said nothing about those laws being bad, so the rest of your post is pointless. I said the way some Christians use the Law is bad. Trying to shame people into thinking they are dirty and unacceptable and therefore need to accept Christian dogma in order to be shielded from the wrath of an angry God is a way to control people. Itís a way to set your organization up as the way through which everyone must approach God and therefore assures loyalty to that organization.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:08 AM

16,293 posts, read 7,664,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The attempt to apply modern standards to Bronze Age mentality is entirely specious, the idea is simply barbaric.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:21 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,177,909 times
Quote:
The purpose of the Law, if one bothers to follow it, is to make one a better human being...Even your own Paul says to practice righteousness...
I think the Law* is a picture (although I’d argue it’s certainly not a perfect or complete one) of what it’s like for a person when they are walking in the reality of how God sees them.

*Referring to the “Ten Commandments” per the thread title.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 AM

27,991 posts, read 15,070,149 times
Quote:
The attempt to apply modern standards to Bronze Age mentality is entirely specious, the idea is simply barbaric.
That doesnít answer the question...

Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
That doesn’t answer the question...
Is every action of the general populace recorded? tell me how many people are stoned to death in populations where it is a mandated practice even today.

The fact that the only stoning and attempt to have someone stoned in Jewish culture are reported in the New Testament does not disprove the fact that it was a cultural norm.

As I said, a spurious attempt to justify a barbaric practice.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:45 AM

3,036 posts, read 1,058,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
There IS no new commandment that I know of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
This one, it fullfills the whole law.

ďI give a new commandment to you: 'Love one another; just as I have loved you, you should also love one another.'
Actually, this wasn't a new commandment. Jesus was just quoting the Torah.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Actually, this wasn't a new commandment. Jesus was just quoting the Torah.
to reiterate a previous post: "To scotch the objection that it's not new, the "new" is that it is now the basis for the New Covenant instituted by Christ"

Peter mentioned the fact that the commandment in itself is not new. The point of the name is that it is the single "commandment" that is the "new" foundation of the "New Covenant" rather than the 10 which are the foundation of the Mosaic Covenant.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:24 PM

40,099 posts, read 26,761,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes.
I said nothing about those laws being bad, so the rest of your post is pointless. I said the way some Christians use the Law is bad. Trying to shame people into thinking they are dirty and unacceptable and therefore need to accept Christian dogma in order to be shielded from the wrath of an angry God is a way to control people. Itís a way to set your organization up as the way through which everyone must approach God and therefore assures loyalty to that organization.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:26 PM

40,099 posts, read 26,761,498 times
Quote:
I am constantly amazed that so many of us are accepting of such barbarity even in this day and age of enlightenment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or