U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 7,648,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So you interpret my actions regardless of my stated view. gotcha.
"By their fruits you shall know them." καρπῶν, fruits genitive masculine plural
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 12:46 PM

56,026 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
There is a thread saying that Christians hate homosexuals. While the thread title may not say that in so many words, many have said that in the thread. I have explicitly stated we don't, but it keeps getting repeated.

That is bigotry to take what is said and ignore it, instead telling us what we believe.

As for TroutDude? I honestly don't care what that guy says. He's as bigoted as anyone. If actions are so important, you'd think he would be called out on it. But he gets ignored and gets a free pass to act the way he does.

I've even correct YOU personally on it and you continue to spout this lie. Please just stop it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/53013913-post1290.html
That link doesn't help you make your case at all.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:57 PM

25,791 posts, read 13,404,281 times
Apparently, BF's definition of bigotry is anyone who challenges him.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM

5,937 posts, read 1,698,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That link doesn't help you make your case at all.
Actually, it shows you posting the definition of bigotry to include the very same thing you did. Please. Just stop it. it's not nice.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Actually, it shows you posting the definition of bigotry to include the very same thing you did. Please. Just stop it. it's not nice.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:05 PM

32,427 posts, read 17,761,797 times
A Baptist Fundie told us there will be no catholics in heaven. Only Baptists. And not all Baptists, only Free Will Baptists.

Nope! No bigotry there! Just good old fashioned self righteous posturing.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
A Baptist Fundie told us there will be no catholics in heaven. Only Baptists. And not all Baptists, only Free Will Baptists.

Nope! No bigotry there! Just good old fashioned self righteous posturing.

Hypocrites never recognize themselves. They're too busy being holier-than-thou.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:11 PM

56,026 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't. Read the definition. It refers to intolerance of people because of who they are as a group. How could I be bigoted against Christians when I am Christian? As a matter of fact, that is exactly why I am so outspoken about bigotry by SOME Christians against certain groups because I know for a fact it is not Christian behavior, but rather people hiding behind Christianity as an excuse to display their personal intolerance. That is a general statement, not directly at you personally, just to be clear.

I want Christians to stop doing that because a) it's wrong, harms others, and goes against the core directive that Jesus taught, and b) other people who are not Christian paint all of us with the same brush when they see Christians displaying intolerant behavior. None of us are perfect, but we have to try to be better.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,400,927 times
Quote:
So you interpret my actions regardless of my stated view. gotcha.
Arenít actions important? If I kill somebody in a cold, premeditated manner, but then I say I didnít have any malice towards them and I am safe to be in society, are you going to put more weight on my actions or my words?

I object to the phrasing of your thread title. I donít think people lie about Christians. They may voice an opinion about Christians that is not complimentary to the group, but that isnít the same as a lie.

The big controversial issues of the day make great examples.

Many Christians are opposed to gay marriage, other gay rights, sex education, science education, equality for other religions, etc. Christians may not think of this as hateful, but if I am a member of a group that suffers because of it, would I be wrong in using that language?

If I am a woman who wants or needs birth control, isnít it reasonable to resent Christians who make it difficult to obtain it? Wouldnít it be reasonable to say that Christians hate a womanís ability to have control over her own body?

If I am part of a gay couple that wants to adopt, donít you think it reasonable for me to resent people who try and prevent me from doing this, casting aspersions that homosexuality is the equivalent of pedophilia? Isnít that restriction on my life choices a form of hate?

If I am an atheist and I need to attend public meetings, and I am forced to sit through a Christian prayer, isnít that disrespectful to my views? Arenít Christians imoly8nh that they are better than I am? Isnít it reasonable to describe their avti9ns as hateful to my freedom of association?

Old 09-19-2018, 01:16 PM

5,937 posts, read 1,698,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, it doesn't. Read the definition. It refers to intolerance of people because of who they are as a group. How could I be bigoted against Christians when I am Christian? As a matter of fact, that is exactly why I am so outspoken about bigotry by SOME Christians against certain groups because I know for a fact it is not Christian behavior, but rather people hiding behind Christianity as an excuse to display their personal intolerance. That is a general statement, not directly at you personally, just to be clear.

I want Christians to stop doing that because a) it's wrong, harms others, and goes against the core directive that Jesus taught, and b) other people who are not Christian paint all of us with the same brush when they see Christians displaying intolerant behavior. None of us are perfect, but we have to try to be better.
Read the definition again. To intolerantly state what we believe, despite us claiming otherwise, is intolerant bigotry.

Please stop it.

In any event, I can see that we'll just have to agree to disagree. You're not going to admit wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity