U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2018, 02:14 PM
 
Location: New England
32,302 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Reputation: 2293

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are projecting their own inner feelings on others. It is a psychological defense mechanism. There is a lot of anger and resentment towards Christians on this board.
There is a lot of judgement, anger and resentment by bible fundamentalists towards sinners, especially gays and anyone who is vocal about disagreeing with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,029 posts, read 8,447,613 times
Reputation: 15643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LGBT is brought up (four times already on this thread) all the time because many do not agree with the Biblical view of it. If you agree with the Biblical view, then you are accused of being a bigot and hater, and the only way to avoid these accusations is to reject what the Bible says. Is that fair? It's militant to force people to reject what they believe, and instead agree with you on political issues. That's intolerance and bigotry on steroids.
I understand you view LGBT people and issues the way you do because of the Bible. I am not disputing that.

The source of your dislike is irrelevant though. If you dislike and oppose people just for being who they are, that is bigotry. Some Christians take a live and let live approach to LGBT and other issues, and I do not consider them to be bigots. However, if you take an active opposition to LGBT people and rights (or any other group), then you are in fact a bigot.

Am I bigoted because I have this opinion towards the subset of Christians who act in bigoted manners? I don’t think so. The Christian is the person taking initial action against another human being. The Christian does not need to take this action, or act to impede another individual in any way. Yet they choose to do so rather than keeping their beliefs private.

This is the core difference. I don’t go into churches and tell people what to believe, and I expect you not to enter my private social areas and place restrictions upon me either. The conflict arises in the public sphere. We all have to share the government and economy, and it should be viewpoint neutral. When you take action to pass laws restricting another’s personal life, then you have taken action. That action may be bigoted, and my reaction to that is only in the interest of restoring neutrality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,203 posts, read 34,429,291 times
Reputation: 10521
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I understand you view LGBT people and issues the way you do because of the Bible. I am not disputing that.
The way I do? What do you mean by that?

Quote:
The source of your dislike is irrelevant though. If you dislike and oppose people just for being who they are, that is bigotry.
I do not 'dislike and oppose' people.

Quote:
This is the core difference. I don’t go into churches and tell people what to believe, and I expect you not to enter my private social areas and place restrictions upon me either.
Why would I? Do people actually enter your private social areas?

People come here all the time to tell me my God is a monster and anyone who believes Him is insane. I don't do that to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,301 posts, read 7,680,345 times
Reputation: 1728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Bigotry = intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Many posters are openly intolerant of many Christian views. As a matter of fact, they go as far as saying that unless you reject those views, then you are a hater/bigot.
That is one wrong definition of bigotry out of many that actually DO include the necessary element of "without valid reason." MQ supplied the valid reasons for being intolerant of harmful views.

You have been told this, but you continue to use that bad definition because it supports your lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,029 posts, read 8,447,613 times
Reputation: 15643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The way I do? What do you mean by that?
I don’t frequent the Christianity sub forum, because I don’t care about intra-christian debates and issues. The title of this thread caught my eye, and it seemed like something that an atheist could legitimately contribute to.

I base my comment on your words:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
because many do not agree with the Biblical view of it. If you agree with the Biblical view, then you are accused of being a bigot and hater, and the only way to avoid these accusations is to reject what the Bible says. Is that fair?
I don’t know your views from other posts. I assume from this quote and the fact that you jumped on this particular topic that you are not an LGBT supporter.

Quote:
I do not 'dislike and oppose' people.
Good thing I didn’t accuse you of that then. I said “If you dislike and oppose people just for...”

Quote:
Why would I? Do people enter your private social areas?

People come here all the time to tell me my God is a monster and anyone who believes Him is insane. I don't do that to them.
I never said they did. I set that up specifically to differentiate public areas from private.

Are you trying to derail the thread by deliberately misquoting me? I am trying to explain why SOME Christians who speak and act in certain ways can legitimately be labeled bigots. If that doesn’t apply to you, then I applaud you for your courtesy and discretion.

You may also note that I didn’t call your god a monster, nor did I call you insane. I don’t believe what you do, but I have taken care to clearly state that SOME Christians can be viewed as bigots.

Not ALL, just SOME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,203 posts, read 34,429,291 times
Reputation: 10521
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
That is one wrong definition of bigotry out of many that actually DO include the necessary element of "without valid reason." MQ supplied the valid reasons for being intolerant of harmful views.

You have been told this, but you continue to use that bad definition because it supports your lies.
I am sorry you don't like definitions which do not support your agenda, but the definition is what it is.

Bigotry: intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Status: "Watching America made small." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,912 posts, read 13,469,145 times
Reputation: 11713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, I am not intolerant of them. I do not go around accusing them of hatred, or calling their god a monster. You, and your "tribe" does that to Christians.

To fundies. Get it right. Only a tiny percentage of Christians are fundies. Only a tinier one brags about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,203 posts, read 34,429,291 times
Reputation: 10521
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You may also note that I didn’t call your god a monster, nor did I call you insane. I don’t believe what you do, but I have taken care to clearly state that SOME Christians can be viewed as bigots.
I didn't say you did, I said people come here to do that. Not ALL, but SOME/MANY.

The point here is that Christian posters here get accused of hatred and bigotry simply for having Biblical view points. Read the issue in the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,203 posts, read 34,429,291 times
Reputation: 10521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
To fundies. Get it right. Only a tiny percentage of Christians are fundies.
Is that a fact? What makes a Christian a "fundi"?

Just for the record, I do not pester Muslims, Jews or Hindu or any kind (fundi, or not) because they do not agree with my views.

Live and let live!

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-19-2018 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 03:12 PM
 
Location: New England
32,302 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Reputation: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I didn't say you did, I said people come here to do that. Not ALL, but SOME/MANY.

The point here is that Christian posters here get accused of hatred and bigotry simply for having Biblical view points. Read the issue in the OP.
So someone else who claims they have biblical views that differ from yours, what do you have to say to them?. This " hold to biblical views" is just another way of saying i am right you are wrong. God does not give a you know what about your biblical views, his son never taught to hold to biblical views like your life depends upon it, he taught build your life upon his sayings, and his sayings were/are a way of life, not a belief system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top