Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:29 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Read the definition again. To intolerantly state what we believe, despite us claiming otherwise, is intolerant bigotry.

Please stop it.

In any event, I can see that we'll just have to agree to disagree. You're not going to admit wrong.
Perhaps I misunderstood who you are referring to as "we". I thought by the thread title you meant "Christians", and obviously that can't be. Further, this is not about anyone's beliefs but about the disconnect between what some claim to believe and the actions that belie that belief.

But I'm not wrong. Your definition above doesn't fit the definition of bigotry, but I am starting to think that maybe you honestly just cannot grasp these concepts.

I will stop posting on this thread because it's become apparent that its purpose was to set yourself up as a victim and provoke responses that will prove you right.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-19-2018 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Apparently, BF's definition of bigotry is anyone who challenges him.
Bigotry = intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Many posters are openly intolerant of many Christian views. As a matter of fact, they go as far as saying that unless you reject those views, then you are a hater/bigot.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Many posters are openly intolerant of many Christian views. As a matter of fact, they go as far as saying that unless you reject those views, then you are a hater/bigot.

That's because many Christians hold intolerant views. And I, for instance, am intolerant of intolerance.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
That's because many Christians hold intolerant views.
You do not agree with Biblical views, so you are bigoted against those who do.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:52 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Isn’t this how some (<<<note my emphasis on some) Christians act? Don’t we see some Christians talking and legislating against birth control, abortion, or same sex relationships?

Quote:
Doesn’t that depend on the view? I happen to think that teaching creationism in the classroom is wrong, but I wouldn’t call Christians who support this bigoted. I also think that LGBT people should have fully equal rights and privileges as everybody else, including the right to marry the person of their choice. I think that people who oppose this are bigoted.

I don’t want to turn this into an LGBT discussion. I realize we won’t see eye to eye. I only want to use the topic as an example of why Christians can be viewed as bigoted, depending upon their actions, and that view isn’t necessarily a lie. I concede that stating it bluntly like that isn’t very diplomatic either.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:57 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood who you are referring to as "we". I thought by the thread title you meant "Christians", and obviously that can't be. Further, this is not about anyone's beliefs but about the disconnect between what some claim to believe and the actions that belie that belief.

But I'm not wrong. Your definition above doesn't fit the definition of bigotry, but I am starting to think that maybe you honestly just cannot grasp these concepts.

I will stop posting on this thread because it's become apparent that its purpose was to set yourself up as a victim and provoke responses that will prove you right.
I posted the definition from Merriam Webster. I'm sorry if you disagree.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
You do not agree with Biblical views, so you are bigoted against those who do.
That's pretty sophomoric, Finny. Do you agree with Islamic views? Jewish? Hindu?

If not, I guess that makes you bigoted against Muslims, Jews and Hindus.

Or do you perhaps just disagree with some of the things they believe?

I don't believe in any Abrahamic religion but I get along fine with 90% of their adherents. But I do not with fundies. Fundies are bigots, plain and simple. (And most of them are indeed simple.)

Old 09-19-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I don’t want to turn this into an LGBT discussion. I realize we won’t see eye to eye. I only want to use the topic as an example of why Christians can be viewed as bigoted, depending upon their actions, and that view isn’t necessarily a lie. I concede that stating it bluntly like that isn’t very diplomatic either.
LGBT is brought up (four times already on this thread) all the time because many do not agree with the Biblical view of it. If you agree with the Biblical view, then you are accused of being a bigot and hater, and the only way to avoid these accusations is to reject what the Bible says. Is that fair? It's militant to force people to reject what they believe, and instead agree with you on political issues. That's intolerance and bigotry on steroids.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Is this thread about Christians in general or about you, specifically? Are you a Christian who insists that God considers homosexuality, and by extension those who are homosexual, an abomination and that homosexuals are destined for hell if they don’t deny their sexuality? Are you a Christian who thinks it’s okay to deny rights and service to people who are homosexual? If those things don’t apply to you then, in those instances at least, you are not demonstrating hate. But there are Christians who do.
An honest answer would settle the matter, but you may not get one!

Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
That's pretty sophomoric, Finny. Do you agree with Islamic views? Jewish? Hindu?

If not, I guess that makes you bigoted against Muslims, Jews and Hindus.
No, I am not intolerant of them. I do not go around accusing them of hatred, or calling their god a monster. You, and your "tribe" does that to Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity