U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2018, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,266 posts, read 7,654,495 times
Reputation: 1718

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I LOVE adopted pagan holidays and traditions.

Like Christmas, Easter and Halloween.
I miss Mayday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2018, 01:48 PM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,181 posts, read 10,999,497 times
Reputation: 7419
You know, Halloween is one of the best days of the year in our neighborhood. All the neighbors come and and wait for the kids to come by. We walk next door or across the street and chat with the neighbors. It's usually the only time everybody is outside at the same time. We see parents reminding their children to be careful, take turns, and say thank you. We see 6 year old kids helping the 3 year old kids up the stairs. We see toddlers all dressed up and some really clever costumes on some of the older kids.

These children will grow up with good memories of Halloween night on our street when they had fun and felt safe because everybody looked out for everybody else. They will remember that the grown up were all nice and spoke to each other, even if they didn't know each other. Nobody even shies away from speakiing to strangers, just for that one evening.

Of course, I can't be absolutely certain, but I've seen no evidence to make me believe there are any actual demons or goblins living here. Just a variety of people living their lives. If any of them are demon possessed, they have kept it well concealed.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Reputation: 66445
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I LOVE adopted pagan holidays and traditions.

Like Christmas, Easter and Halloween.
Me, too! I'm glad they weren't given up totally when the Christians came in. Well, some tried, even in this country, like the Puritans, but they weren't successful. Thank God the Church of Englanders knew how to incorporate Pagan celebrations and rituals into Christianity. People by nature want to celebrate and party. Later when the Anglicans in the USA became the Episcopalians, they kept that attitude.

The first day I set foot into the parish I am part of now, it was Halloween and the kid in front of me was dressed like a zombie. The priest brought him to the front of the church and told us to look up Saint somebody, whose name I didn't catch, because he looked just like that boy. That's one of the reasons I came back. Halloween and humor were both OK there.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Booth Texas
14,818 posts, read 4,970,941 times
Reputation: 1509
Scariest Halloween I ever had was in Juarez Mexico, we were at my cousin's house in El Paso and everyone was talking about the haunted house in Juarez across the river. It was like 1974 when I was about 13. Our whole family loaded up and went, about ten of us. OMG, we got in there and this Frankenstein started chasing us and even my dad was afraid, and my cousin told him to back off and it irritated whoever Frankenstein was and he came all the more. My cousin knocked Frankenstein smooth out and there we were lost in a house IN MEXICO. It was like a scene in a movie with my whole family making haste to run out and leave Mexico, we didn't know if my cousin had killed Frankenstein or not, we were all in shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 03:47 PM
 
4,226 posts, read 2,593,362 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Scariest Halloween I ever had was in Juarez Mexico, we were at my cousin's house in El Paso and everyone was talking about the haunted house in Juarez across the river. It was like 1974 when I was about 13. Our whole family loaded up and went, about ten of us. OMG, we got in there and this Frankenstein started chasing us and even my dad was afraid, and my cousin told him to back off and it irritated whoever Frankenstein was and he came all the more. My cousin knocked Frankenstein smooth out and there we were lost in a house IN MEXICO. It was like a scene in a movie with my whole family making haste to run out and leave Mexico, we didn't know if my cousin had killed Frankenstein or not, we were all in shock.
Good grief! You guys out chevied Chevy Chase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Reputation: 66445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
All Hallows Eve was traditionally a Christian remembrance of the dead - dead relatives, dead comrades in arms, dead friends and so on. It is similar to the Jewish Kadish prayer for the dead except that the Christian observance was only once a year.

Secular society has captured the idea and subverted it into an occult holiday replete with witches demons beggars and thievery.

During the last days of October we teach our children that it is proper to demand treats from strangers or threaten them with destruction of their property - trick or treat. It is a form of extortion albeit on a childish level.

It is not Christian by any stretch of the imagination, yet cash strapped churches take advantage of the market demand for icons of evil and sell inedible pumpkins by the truck load. Debauched Christian leadership thus encourages demonic lore among their congregations.

and when the kiddies grow up they will remember that satan rewards extortion and religious hypocrisy.

Their parents will wonder what has happened to the next generation even as they use their plastic to buy costumes candy and decorations reminiscent of hell and death itself.

It is time to repent of sin, not play games with the devil's toys.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
You were never a child? Your description bolded above is far from what Halloween is or ever was. In fact, it's downright bizarre.

This is not some new, dark, evil thing that has come around. We who are in our 7th or 8th decades grew up trick-or-treating on Halloween, and none of us felt as if we were extorting anybody or ever threatened to destroy their property. Geez Louise. What's next on your agenda, ripping a kid's stuffed animal open with a machete because it's a graven image?

I think you need to get out of that choir loft asap. There's a gas leak or something in the air up there.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 04:20 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,888 posts, read 3,974,996 times
Reputation: 4137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You know, Halloween is one of the best days of the year in our neighborhood. All the neighbors come and and wait for the kids to come by. We walk next door or across the street and chat with the neighbors. It's usually the only time everybody is outside at the same time. We see parents reminding their children to be careful, take turns, and say thank you. We see 6 year old kids helping the 3 year old kids up the stairs. We see toddlers all dressed up and some really clever costumes on some of the older kids.

These children will grow up with good memories of Halloween night on our street when they had fun and felt safe because everybody looked out for everybody else. They will remember that the grown up were all nice and spoke to each other, even if they didn't know each other. Nobody even shies away from speakiing to strangers, just for that one evening.

Of course, I can't be absolutely certain, but I've seen no evidence to make me believe there are any actual demons or goblins living here. Just a variety of people living their lives. If any of them are demon possessed, they have kept it well concealed.
Same here. They have already been asking me if we can do a block party, (like they need permission?) ( i think they want me to make tacos)
Most everyone sits out in the driveways and hands out candy from there, keeps the flow of traffic moving and since we will have a huge outdoor display, we need to be outside to warn the little ones about the scary parts.we just bought a new animatronic clown and it will be back in the "scary zone"

We want every child who comes to our house to have fond memories and to enjoy the treats we have.

Now if I could just find some more plush pokemons really cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 05:37 PM
 
Location: USA
3,435 posts, read 1,258,211 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Well I was glad to see Alex Jones kicked off of Twitter. He is a disgrace.
Alex Jones wouldn't be a problem if there weren't so many utter idiots out there that actually believe the stuff he is saying. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were running a child slavery and pornogrophy operation out of the basement of the Comet Ping Pong pizza parlor? The only thing more stupid than the claim, is discovering that there are people stupid enough to actually believe the story. Stupidity on this level is both funny and tragic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Panama City, FL
3,139 posts, read 939,100 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You know, Halloween is one of the best days of the year in our neighborhood. All the neighbors come and and wait for the kids to come by. We walk next door or across the street and chat with the neighbors. It's usually the only time everybody is outside at the same time. We see parents reminding their children to be careful, take turns, and say thank you. We see 6 year old kids helping the 3 year old kids up the stairs. We see toddlers all dressed up and some really clever costumes on some of the older kids.

These children will grow up with good memories of Halloween night on our street when they had fun and felt safe because everybody looked out for everybody else. They will remember that the grown up were all nice and spoke to each other, even if they didn't know each other. Nobody even shies away from speakiing to strangers, just for that one evening.

Of course, I can't be absolutely certain, but I've seen no evidence to make me believe there are any actual demons or goblins living here. Just a variety of people living their lives. If any of them are demon possessed, they have kept it well concealed.
That is a beautiful scene you have shared.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Panama City, FL
3,139 posts, read 939,100 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You were never a child? Your description bolded above is far from what Halloween is or ever was. In fact, it's downright bizarre.

This is not some new, dark, evil thing that has come around. We who are in our 7th or 8th decades grew up trick-or-treating on Halloween, and none of us felt as if we were extorting anybody or ever threatened to destroy their property. Geez Louise. What's next on your agenda, ripping a kid's stuffed animal open with a machete because it's a graven image?

I think you need to get out of that choir loft asap. There's a gas leak or something in the air up there.
Dat's funny.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top