U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:12 PM

2,304 posts, read 626,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A person is saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus. How you express that faith in response to the gospel message may vary. It is certainly valid to express your faith in the form of a prayer. There is no set formula prayer that you must pray. The exact wording of that prayer may vary, but God recognizes the faith behind the words. And whether you say it out loud or silently think it is irrelevant.
Mike your thoughts after perusing the following verses.......Paul says we will be judged by his gospel (1Cor 15: 1-4) and admonishes anyone from using any other "gospel".........does that preclude our own or somebody elses "sinners prayers" ??

Romans 2:16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

No Other Gospel

Gal 1:6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

The Resurrection of Christ

1Cor15 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,234,029 times
This and the manipulative, arm twisting altar call is a product of Charles Finney's American Revivalism. They are based on the idea that people must have their wills manipulated to make an emotional decision, and they are not based in scripture. There are no scriptural examples of a man or woman 'making a decision for Christ'. This idea gives credit to the notion that man plays a significant role in his salvation. The ONLY thing that you and I bring to the event is the sin that makes it necessary.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:40 AM

63,052 posts, read 34,335,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
This and the manipulative, arm twisting altar call is a product of Charles Finney's American Revivalism. They are based on the idea that people must have their wills manipulated to make an emotional decision, and they are not based in scripture. There are no scriptural examples of a man or woman 'making a decision for Christ'. This idea gives credit to the notion that man plays a significant role in his salvation. The ONLY thing that you and I bring to the event is the sin that makes it necessary.
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.

Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him

Large crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him.

Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”

Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,234,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.

Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him

Large crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him.

Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”
Exactly. HE chose them.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:59 AM

63,052 posts, read 34,335,398 times
Quote:
Exactly. HE chose them.
He asked them to follow, and they did. He asked them to spread the Gospel, and they did, and people still do, and people listen and follow.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Again, I thought forgiveness was granted via BELIEF in Christ and not through works (isn't prayer a type of works?)
Absolutely right......it's simple belief through faith that saves today in the age of grace......no works wanted or needed

Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Excellent

Old 09-25-2018, 10:07 AM

32,225 posts, read 21,107,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

You really believe that it literally played out like that ?. It's as stupid as believing two men will be driving their combine harvesters through their hay fields and one will be taken and another left behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc

Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 AM

21,857 posts, read 16,691,085 times
Quote:
A person is saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus. How you express that faith in response to the gospel message may vary. It is certainly valid to express your faith in the form of a prayer. There is no set formula prayer that you must pray. The exact wording of that prayer may vary, but God recognizes the faith behind the words. And whether you say it out loud or silently think it is irrelevant.
Quote:
Eternal salvation is through faith in Christ. Expressing that faith to God through a prayer, for example, ''Father, I am believing in Jesus Christ for eternal life,'' is not working for salvation. It is simply expressing your faith to God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Mike your thoughts after perusing the following verses.......Paul says we will be judged by his gospel (1Cor 15: 1-4) and admonishes anyone from using any other "gospel".........does that preclude our own or somebody elses "sinners prayers" ??

Romans 2:16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

No Other Gospel

Gal 1:6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

The Resurrection of Christ

1Cor15 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,
Quote:
Absolutely right......it's simple belief through faith that saves today in the age of grace......no works wanted or needed
You seem to be equating the ''sinners prayer'' with another gospel...with works. But expressing your faith to God in prayer is not works. Saying to God something along the lines of ''I know that I am a sinner and in need of salvation and I believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose again'' is a prayer of faith. That is not works, but is a positive faith response to the gospel message.

From Gotquestions.com
The sinner's prayer is a prayer a person prays to God when they understand that they are a sinner and in need of a Savior. Saying a sinner's prayer will not accomplish anything on its own. A true sinner's prayer only represents what a person knows, understands, and believes about their sinfulness and need for salvation. . . Saying the sinner's prayer is simply a way of declaring to God that you are relying on Jesus Christ as your Savior. There are no "magical" words that result in salvation. It is only faith in Jesus' death and resurrection that can save us. If you understand that you are a sinner and in need of salvation through Jesus Christ, here is a sinner's prayer you can pray to God: "God, I know that I am a sinner. I know that I deserve the consequences of my sin. However, I am trusting in Jesus Christ as my Savior. I believe that His death and resurrection provided for my forgiveness. I trust in Jesus and Jesus alone as my personal Lord and Savior. Thank you Lord, for saving me and forgiving me! Amen!"

https://www.gotquestions.org/sinners-prayer.html
As long as a person understands the issue involved in salvation, that Jesus died for our sins and that he rose again, and that eternal salvation is by grace through faith in Christ Jesus, expressing that faith in prayer addressed to God is perfectly valid.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 AM

5,963 posts, read 1,702,308 times
Quote:
All across the fruited plain Pastors after a fiery sermon ask for people to come forward and repeat a flowery "sinners prayer" that supposedly ushers them into a salvation experience, but does it really? the fact is it isn't biblical at all...........
Nope. We don't get saved by reciting a prayer. It expresses what is in our hearts, yes. But sometimes inviting people to come forward really gives a false understanding of salvation. It's not about the 1 time prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity