U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 PM

10,523 posts, read 12,733,337 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this Bible?

Published in 1917, it became one of the best-selling Bibles of all time. I heard somewhere that they used to give it to religious students for free. There were two in my house growing up as it was very popular with Southern Baptists.

The controversy is that it contains so many footnotes that if you open any given page, sometimes the entire lower half of it is notes. But it's been the basis of modern Christian fundamentalism with it's Premillenial teachings, Creationist teachings, Literalist teachings, etc. It seems like this became such a standard and acceptable Bible that no one ever questioned it. "It was at grandma and grandpa's house, and they *must* have read it, so the teachings must be good because they are my grandparents". I actually thought a "normal" Bible was composed of 50% footnotes.

Doesn't anyone see a problem with this kind of thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM

20,355 posts, read 9,819,192 times
I have twenty two different Bibles, but the one that is full of notes is the one I wrote in myself.
However, I am not a fan of Scofield, but I am sure that John Hagee must love the hell out of it.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:49 PM

16,257 posts, read 7,648,523 times
If you want to control people get on the ground floor.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If you want to control people get on the ground floor.
This particular Bible represents the TRUTH to most Christian Americans, I believe.

They grew up hearing its teachings, never once questioning any of them. That continues to this day. It doesn't matter that these particular teachings didn't even exist prior to the 1800's.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 AM

16,464 posts, read 20,755,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This particular Bible represents the TRUTH to most Christian Americans, I believe.
It does not.

The Scofield Bible is popular among evangelical fundamentalists and some full gospel / charismatic churches --- neither of which represent "most" American Christians. As a very rough estimate, that accounts for about 25% of American Christians. Hardly "most."

Mainline Protestants (15% of American Christians) largely think Scofield was a kook. Roman Catholics and Orthodox Christians (around 22% of American Christians) know he was.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:49 AM

5,931 posts, read 1,697,435 times
Quote:
What do you think of this Bible?

Published in 1917, it became one of the best-selling Bibles of all time. I heard somewhere that they used to give it to religious students for free. There were two in my house growing up as it was very popular with Southern Baptists.

The controversy is that it contains so many footnotes that if you open any given page, sometimes the entire lower half of it is notes. But it's been the basis of modern Christian fundamentalism with it's Premillenial teachings, Creationist teachings, Literalist teachings, etc. It seems like this became such a standard and acceptable Bible that no one ever questioned it. "It was at grandma and grandpa's house, and they *must* have read it, so the teachings must be good because they are my grandparents". I actually thought a "normal" Bible was composed of 50% footnotes.

Doesn't anyone see a problem with this kind of thinking?
Is there a specific issue you have with it? While the Bible is inspired and infallible, the notes in it may not be. It's certainly possible to disagree with the editors in regards to any of those ideas and not be in error.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:51 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,233,294 times
Not a fan, but then again I am not a dispensational premillenialist.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Is there a specific issue you have with it? While the Bible is inspired and infallible, the notes in it may not be. It's certainly possible to disagree with the editors in regards to any of those ideas and not be in error.
The main issue I have is the "divide and conquer" mentality this causes many religious people to have. They think they can use a study guide to hop around from one passage to another. In reality, they SHOULD be reading an entire book within the Bible all at once, then go back and read the same book again if they don't understand it.

This fragmented approach to studying the Bible is wrong and evil. The true message of the Bible to anyone who reads it properly is Love. Nothing more. Nothing less. But people would rather extinguish that message completely, and will look for anything to replace it with by any means necessary.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:05 PM

21,814 posts, read 16,678,731 times
Quote:
The main issue I have is the "divide and conquer" mentality this causes many religious people to have. They think they can use a study guide to hop around from one passage to another. In reality, they SHOULD be reading an entire book within the Bible all at once, then go back and read the same book again if they don't understand it.

This fragmented approach to studying the Bible is wrong and evil. The true message of the Bible to anyone who reads it properly is Love. Nothing more. Nothing less. But people would rather extinguish that message completely, and will look for anything to replace it with by any means necessary.
I disagree with your views.

First, reading the Bible is not studying the Bible. And there is nothing evil or wrong about a particular way in which the Bible is studied. And in studying a particular subject or doctrine it is often necessary to 'hop around from one passage to another' in order to get the overall context of the Bible concerning a particular doctrine.

Secondly, there is more to the Bible's message than 'love.'

Thirdly, the Scofield Bible contains many good notes by Scofield.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 AM

16,464 posts, read 20,755,351 times
Quote:

Yup.

People like Scofield make the common mistake that the Bible is "a book." It isn't. The Bible is library of many books of many different genres. You don't approach Genesis the same way you approach Daniel or the Proverbs. The Gospels are different than the epistles, all of which are very different from Revelation. And then you get the really odd stuff like Song of Solomon, Job, and Tobit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or