U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:23 PM

20,458 posts, read 9,867,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Jerwade, you guys are gonna think I am a hard nut to crack, ha.
The example above (loaves story) I didn't see as a test either...it was more like 'play' to me...
cuz as you said, Jesus knew what he was about to do...multiply the loaves for all those people.

I'm still not seeing that Jesus played the 'Test game', anywhere.
Are you getting frustrated, yet? Sorry.
I'm not frustrated, yet?
Words mean different things to different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:04 AM

15,539 posts, read 12,205,142 times
I just don't see Jesus' 'technique' as a 'testing method' of teaching.
Those that think Peter walking to him on water as a test...I see as a demonstration...
of the power
in a word, "Come"....and then the power of focused faith....and, then, what tiny waivering can do....sink you!

Old 09-29-2018, 11:02 AM

4,697 posts, read 1,229,008 times
but the word " to those who Overcome, I will " .. means some will not "overcome", it is a word of his testings. It will be a dividing of the sheep and the goats.. does the sheep follow hsi voice and goats are more like those who do their own things in their own ways.. their own way not his way ......maybe?

but that word "overcome/s" cannot be ignored. And it's truths has to be dealt with rightly if
any theology is to be found true.. because our salvation is by faith in the one who rose from the dead.. , like the faith of Abraham who was tried and found faithful when he was willing to offer up his most prized possession.. . we are no longer saved by the law.. but by faith in him who fulfilled the law and who overcame death for us. and he promises those who are faithful like Abraham Eternal life Like jesus verified Abraham, Isaac and Jacob Live.. He was alive..

Rom 3:4

God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
Rom 12:21

Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

1Jo 2:13

I write unto you, Fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.

why do they overcome? because he did it first. and their hope proves to be in him and through him.

Jhn 16:33

things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

1Jo 4:4

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Rev 2:7

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” '
Rev 2:11

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.” '
Rev 2:17

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” '
Rev 2:26

And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations
Rev 3:5

He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
Rev 3:12

He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.
Rev 3:21

To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

Rev 21:7

He who overcomes shall inherit all things,[fn] and I will be his God and he shall be My son.

there is alot of overcome and overcomes, for the gracie only camp .. lots of overcoming to overcome right there !!..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 09-29-2018 at 11:12 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 11:15 AM

3,671 posts, read 1,544,015 times
Quote:
Can i ask u guys?
On a Christian forum they are hung up on that when Peter got outta the boat and walked on water this was a "Test".
What test?
When a mom encourages her 9-12 month old to walk towards her ...is that a test?!
GINOLJC, to all.

First thanks for your response.

Peter walking on water had nothing to do with a TEST, but it was in his heart that the TEST was made. did he really believed that it was the Lord Jesus. let's examine the scriptures, Matthew 14:24 "But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.

Matthew 14:25 "And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.

Matthew 14:26 "And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

Matthew 14:27 "But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.

Matthew 14:28 "And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

Matthew 14:29 "And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

Matthew 14:30 "But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

Matthew 14:31 "And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?".

there are a few things to note here.

#1. the wind tossed the ship already in verse 24.

#2. the doubt or TEST was, "is it really you JESUS". that's the key, not walking on the water.

#3. the command was to come to him. now, notice, Peter could have gotten a little boat and rowed out to the Lord, or he could have swimmed out to the Lord Jesus. NO, but walked to Jesus. so no test there.

by walking on the water was not the Test, but the TRUST in who it was that commanded him, (discipleship making). notice verse 29 " he walked on the water". demons in human form could mimic, or as the apostle Paul said, transform themselves into an angel of LIGHT.

so again the test was not in the ability to walk on the water, which he did, but the trust of who commanded him. in verse 27 the Lord Assured them , but, but, but, Peter said, "IF, if, if, it be you". that was Peter TEST.

I'm Reminded when the Children was in Egypt and God sent Moses to confront Pharaoh, with Aaron his brother and Aaron Rod turned into a serpent, and Pharaoh magicians did the same. but the TEST was when Aaron Rod overcame Pharaoh Rods by swallowing up their Rods. listen,

Exodus 7:12 "For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods". did one see the revelation? the Rods became serpents, but God's Rod by Aarons swallowed up their rods. did one get it? listen the "ROD" swallowed up their rods, not the Serpent swallowed up the their Rods, but the Rod, the TRUE ROD, which vanquish their deception. the TRUE ONE was Revealed. just as the Lord Jesus is the TRUE one who saves. for Peter in verse 30 said, "SAVE me". ONLY Jesus can Save, not some spirit, or the mere appearance which deceives saves. only God SAVES.

so if there is a test for Peter, or us, it not walking on water, but who is the SAVIOUR of all men, "JESUS SAVES".

PICYJAG.

Last edited by 101c; 09-29-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 AM

Fascinating, never once did I see or was it ever mentioned to me before,
that Jesus himself on the water was the question.
Thanks 101c...

n..Xuipa...Overcoming is a great topic, don't get me wrong.
Not seeing how it fits in with the op..Did Jesus, personally, ever test anyone.
Have a great Fall Saturday.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 09-29-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I'm not frustrated, yet?
Words mean different things to different people.
Quote:
I just don't see Jesus' 'technique' as a 'testing method' of teaching. Those that think Peter walking to him on water as a test...I see as a demonstration...of the power in a word, "Come"....and then the power of focused faith....and, then, what tiny wavering can do....sink you!
Sort of like, don't blink.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:05 PM

63,237 posts, read 34,448,439 times
Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a multitude was coming to him, Jesus said to Philip, "How are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?" This he said to test him, for he himself knew what he would do. (John 6:5-6 RSV)

Old 09-29-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a multitude was coming to him, Jesus said to Philip, "How are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?" This he said to test him, for he himself knew what he would do. (John 6:5-6 RSV)
... deja vu

Old 09-29-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A test? Was he asked to kill his son?
Was he given boils?
I'm thinking test means something diff to each person.

But, I do like the effort!

Old 09-29-2018, 04:50 PM

63,237 posts, read 34,448,439 times
Quote:
A test? Was he asked to kill his son?
Was he given boils?
I'm thinking test means something diff to each person.

But, I do like the effort!
Jesus tested him, and yes, there are countless types of tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or