Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
Hi Miss H, tempting is a test,
G3985 πειράζω peirazo (pei-ra'-zō) v.
to test (objectively), i.e. endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline.
[from G3984]
KJV: assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt(-er), try
Root(s): G3984

Discipline: the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior,
using punishment to correct disobedience.

...see that word "prove" in verse 10 above, it's the Hebrew word, H974 בָּחַן bachan (baw-chan') v.
1. to test (especially metals).
2. (generally and figuratively) to investigate.
[a primitive root]
KJV: examine, prove, tempt, try (trial).
I love all this Greek information. Me? Personally, if I am disciplined by someone, don't know who that would be at my age...but say,as a teen...
I am grounded (disciplined) for smoking pot, now,That is not a test to ME....that is a form of loving punishment, to me... to protect me, teach me. Not a test.
If I am being scrutinized and enticed, tempted deliberately to test, say, my
honesty...that would be a test, for sure.

Jerwade, you guys are gonna think I am a hard nut to crack, ha.
The example above (loaves story) I didn't see as a test either...it was more like 'play' to me...
cuz as you said,
Jesus knew what he was about to do...multiply the loaves for all those people.

I'm still not seeing that Jesus played the 'Test game', anywhere.
Are you getting frustrated, yet? Sorry.

I also didn't see it as a test (esp on any scale like Abraham and his son)...Jesus saying straight fwd...
to the rich guy...Sell everything, if you want to follow me. There was no test ...it was a factual statement of a condition he set.
'You have to do this. No? Fine, then don't follow me, bye'...in other words he showed the guy what he had to do
and the guy saw he was not willing to do it. Is that a test? Hmm, I just don't see it.
It was a standard to meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 08:11 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I love all this Greek information. Me? Personally, if I am disciplined by someone, don't know who that would be at my age...but say,as a teen...
I am grounded (disciplined) for smoking pot, now,That is not a test to ME....that is a form of loving punishment, to me... to protect me, teach me. Not a test.
If I am being scrutinized and enticed, tempted deliberately to test, say, my
honesty...that would be a test, for sure.

Jerwade, you guys are gonna think I am a hard nut to crack, ha.
The example above (loaves story) I didn't see as a test either...it was more like 'play' to me...
cuz as you said,
Jesus knew what he was about to do...multiply the loaves for all those people.

I'm still not seeing that Jesus played the 'Test game', anywhere.
Are you getting frustrated, yet? Sorry.

I also didn't see it as a test (esp on any scale like Abraham and his son)...Jesus saying straight fwd...
to the rich guy...Sell everything, if you want to follow me. There was no test ...it was a factual statement of a condition he set.
'You have to do this. No? Fine, then don't follow me, bye'...in other words he showed the guy what he had to do
and the guy saw he was not willing to do it. Is that a test? Hmm, I just don't see it.
It was a standard to meet.
Miss H. question, John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments".

is this a test?.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Miss H. question, John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments".
is this a test?.
Not at all. Is it to you?

It is advice, or a directive, a clue how to love Jesus. If you do think it is a test...could you explain why you think that? I mean, if you do.Thanks, 101.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Not at all. Is it to you?

It is advice, or a directive, a clue how to love Jesus. If you do think it is a test...could you explain why you think that? I mean, if you do.Thanks, 101.
(Smile),.......
Miss H. you said, “I am grounded (disciplined) for smoking pot, now,That is not a test to ME....that is a form of loving punishment, to me... to protect me, teach me. Not a test”.

who that was .... "to me", ... ok,

What if you smoked again?. listen,

once more, what do discipline means? Discipline: the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior,

Now this, John 21:15 "So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
John 21:16 "He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
John 21:17 "He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep”.

in every instance in "ASKING" Peter, do he Love him who didn't KNOW?. a TEACHER "TEST" their student to see if they KNOW.

PICYJAG.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
listen,
once more, what does discipline mean? Discipline: the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior,

Now this, John 21:15 "So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
John 21:16 "He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
John 21:17 "He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep”.

in every instance in "ASKING" Peter, do he Love him who didn't KNOW?. a TEACHER "TEST" their student to see if they KNOW.

PICYJAG.
You and I are a pair...will we ever see this the same? Lol (Btw, I love that story.)
If I say, "Honey, if you love me, make me a martini, dry?"
Is that a test?
He either makes it or he doesn't...he loves me or he doesn't....am I testing him...no.

(how come we are bringing up discipline so much, anyway?)

Old 09-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
You and I are a pair...will we ever see this the same? Lol (Btw, I love that story.)
If I say, "Honey, if you love me, make me a martini, dry?"
Is that a test?
He either makes it or he doesn't...he loves me or he doesn't....am I testing him...no.

(how come we are bringing up discipline so much, anyway?)
Now, now, now....... that's not a good example. question "how many people know how to make a martini..dry.

it have nothing to do with the Love the person has or not for U, but KNOWLEDGE in making the martini. so that want fly, try something else... think before you write....

PICYJAG

Old 09-28-2018, 06:50 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
I am only talking about Jesus personally.
Did he not do only the Father's Will?

I can't find one time he personally tested anyone.

There are verses in the letters speaking of tests, yes,
so any quoting of those would not matter,
nor the many verses in the Old Testament.
Why?
Because they are not about Jesus personally testing anyone.
Did I miss any?
Thanks
Does this qualify?

Matthew 22
41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”“The son of David,” they replied. 43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says, 44 “ ‘The Lord said to my Lord:“Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.” ’ 45 If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Jesus tested them because He didn't like their teaching. Many times He used vile words against them calling them harsh names. So Jesus was no angel, so to speak.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Does this qualify?

Matthew 22
41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”“The son of David,” they replied. 43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says, 44 “ ‘The Lord said to my Lord:“Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.” ’ 45 If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Jesus tested them because He didn't like their teaching. Many times He used vile words against them calling them harsh names. So Jesus was no angel, so to speak.
GINOLJC, to all.

first that's a good passage of test, but I never recall our Lord calling the Pharisees any vile words or names.

I know he called some, vipers, which was true, (figurative) as well as an Evil generation. hypocrites, liars, and being Ignorant of the scriptures. but all this is TRUE.

I know one thing, he might not would make it on some forums.

PICYJAG

Old 09-28-2018, 07:56 PM

Can i ask u guys?
On a Christian forum they are hung up on that when Peter got outta the boat and walked on water this was a "Test".
What test?
When a mom encourages her 9-12 month old to walk towards her ...is that a test?!

Old 09-28-2018, 08:12 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
GINOLJC, to all.

first that's a good passage of test, but I never recall our Lord calling the Pharisees any vile words or names.

I know he called some, vipers, which was true, (figurative) as well as an Evil generation. hypocrites, liars, and being Ignorant of the scriptures. but all this is TRUE.

I know one thing, he might not would make it on some forums.

PICYJAG
It is true to those who viewed them that way but not to most of the Jews at that time or even today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity