Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:18 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times

Advertisements

Sort of a HUGE problem in today's society, don't you think?

I had always learned, that, any sex before being married was considered a sin, also sexual acts upon oneself (sorry.) That, if not within marriage, were considered a sin in the eyes of the Lord.

Now, if the goal of a Christian life is to not sin, and honor God.. This has ALWAYS created great conflict for me.

I may be in this category because even if I have not had sex, I cannot say I am innocent of.

If I am saved, (and I am, just backsliding. I also accept Christ back in every time I hear Joel Osteen or go to a service.. I have been Water Baptized one time,) then I am not sure if these things even matter.

Can anyone with Christian background help me out? I'm not really interested in the "There is no God" thing because I know that there is, and that his name is Jesus, son of the Father, who sits on the throne. The three in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 09:06 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Let's go back to the stated goal, Creamer; you got it wrong. That is what is uppermost in the minds of the sin-conscious who can't see past that to what love really means. It's not a matter of stopping something you may desire, but of growing in that concern for others that causes you to want to express that positively.

Change your focus: go from victory to victory.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

I had always learned, that, any sex before being married was considered a sin, also sexual acts upon oneself (sorry.) That, if not within marriage, were considered a sin in the eyes of the Lord.

Now, if the goal of a Christian life is to not sin, and honor God.. This has ALWAYS created great conflict for me.

I may be in this category because even if I have not had sex, I cannot say I am innocent of.

If I am saved, (and I am, just backsliding. I also accept Christ back in every time I hear Joel Osteen or go to a service.. I have been Water Baptized one time,) then I am not sure if these things even matter.

Can anyone with Christian background help me out? I'm not really interested in the "There is no God" thing because I know that there is, and that his name is Jesus, son of the Father, who sits on the throne. The three in one.
If I was a regular watcher of Joel Osteen, it wouldn't be sex that I would be worried about, Joel Osteen's God is money and if anyone should doubt this, they should go and look at what he owns. To rationalize how wealthy he is, he teaches his followers that it is all about money.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:58 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,164,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

Yours is simply the mental state of confusion that is rife in christianity today......it should not be, but considering the different denominational teaching out there today where their traditions count more than the bible it is understandable.

Most people give lip service to "Jesus died for the sins of the whole world and took them away" and then immediately begin worrying about it a few minutes later. Either He took them away or the Bible is a liar. It's not both ways.

The goal of the christian life is NOT to defeat sinning because ultimately all good christians live IN a FLESHLY BODY OF SIN that could care less about the law or grace, that's just a fact. Once you are saved you have a DUAL nature of a perfect Godly Spirit living in your body of sinful flesh, this exists until you die or you get a glorified body in the rapture. The glorified body will be just like Jesus had, but the difference will be no blood and it will be powered for eternity by the Holy Spirit.

That gives no one a license to sin or give up on Holy living, to bring us closer to God and holy living will be the job of the Holy Spirit living within us all........so the real question is how do we get the Holy Spirit?

We get the HOly Spirit from a force and a being Jesus OUTSIDE of us......we are NOT able to save ourselves. The law was given to establish that exact fact, we can't keep it we need a merciful Savior who can forgive and pay for our sins FOREVER.

There is no backsliding, you are either saved or you are not.

Water baptism doesn't save anyone, in fact in this age of grace there is no water in baptisms mentioned, we are BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST (no water) a Spiritual baptism only.......

There is only one group of true believers in the universe today.......those in the "body of Christ" with Jesus the head. No denomination or other group that you belong to can save you, it is an individual thing that Jesus works for salvation.

So now we come to the real nitty gritty.......what to believe? you would think the Bible would have the wishes of the Lord explained in black and white and indeed it does, it even tells you believing the gospel saves you. So where is it?

Right here........ 1Co 15:1 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand,
1Co 15:2 and by which you are being SAVED, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,
1Co 15:4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,

The odds are if you're in the typical group you've never heard of this verse in your life, I hadn't either until some wonderful teachers came along. Your salvation will be the most important event in your life and God gives us 4 short sentences to believe with all our heart, it's just too simple for most people to believe. And that's the point.....most think they live lives good enough to get them into heaven on their own, they don't. You can now assure yourself of heaven right where you're at.......believe that Gospel and trust in Christ that HE has miraculously changed you from lost to saved because HE has.

You don't deserve heaven on your merits because we have all fallen short, you will see heaven based on Christ's works FOR YOU in your place.....HE is perfect we are not..........

Any questions feel free to PM me and I can get you started with some much better teachers than I on the Tube......I have no denomination, don't care for any of the cults, and ignore the prosperity teachers....they will be in a very dark corner of hell. The book says eternal life for a reason, if it was temporary or you could lose it, it would tell you.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If I was a regular watcher of Joel Osteen, it wouldn't be sex that I would be worried about, Joel Osteen's God is money and if anyone should doubt this, they should go and look at what he owns. To rationalize how wealthy he is, he teaches his followers that it is all about money.
People that fall for the lie, that worship the 'golden calf' generally cannot recognize what it is, that they are actually doing.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:37 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Let's go back to the stated goal, Creamer; you got it wrong. That is what is uppermost in the minds of the sin-conscious who can't see past that to what love really means. It's not a matter of stopping something you may desire, but of growing in that concern for others that causes you to want to express that positively.

Change your focus: go from victory to victory.
This. It’s the only response to your question that matters. (If listening to anyone is uplifting to you, don’t worry what others say. I’ve only heard Osteen speak a time or two. I never got the sense that the focus of his message was on money, but rather on joy and trusting God. Whether or not he heeds his own message is between him and his own conscience.)

Old 09-30-2018, 01:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Sex before marriage?

Why does it always come across as saving the virgins?
It has always struck me as a fundamentalist point of view.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:09 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,938,423 times
sex before marriage is not a sin

Leviticus 18 lists all the sexual sins and none of them mentioned sex before marriage

Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Not an issue at all.
I recommend that couples live together before marriage. It is the only way to truly know someone.

Sex is not a sin. Priests engage in it all the time.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:07 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Yours is simply the mental state of confusion that is rife in christianity today......it should not be, but considering the different denominational teaching out there today where their traditions count more than the bible it is understandable.

Most people give lip service to "Jesus died for the sins of the whole world and took them away" and then immediately begin worrying about it a few minutes later. Either He took them away or the Bible is a liar. It's not both ways.

The goal of the christian life is NOT to defeat sinning because ultimately all good christians live IN a FLESHLY BODY OF SIN that could care less about the law or grace, that's just a fact. Once you are saved you have a DUAL nature of a perfect Godly Spirit living in your body of sinful flesh, this exists until you die or you get a glorified body in the rapture. The glorified body will be just like Jesus had, but the difference will be no blood and it will be powered for eternity by the Holy Spirit.

That gives no one a license to sin or give up on Holy living, to bring us closer to God and holy living will be the job of the Holy Spirit living within us all........so the real question is how do we get the Holy Spirit?

We get the HOly Spirit from a force and a being Jesus OUTSIDE of us......we are NOT able to save ourselves. The law was given to establish that exact fact, we can't keep it we need a merciful Savior who can forgive and pay for our sins FOREVER.

There is no backsliding, you are either saved or you are not.

Water baptism doesn't save anyone, in fact in this age of grace there is no water in baptisms mentioned, we are BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST (no water) a Spiritual baptism only.......

There is only one group of true believers in the universe today.......those in the "body of Christ" with Jesus the head. No denomination or other group that you belong to can save you, it is an individual thing that Jesus works for salvation.

So now we come to the real nitty gritty.......what to believe? you would think the Bible would have the wishes of the Lord explained in black and white and indeed it does, it even tells you believing the gospel saves you. So where is it?

Right here........ 1Co 15:1 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand,
1Co 15:2 and by which you are being SAVED, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,
1Co 15:4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,

The odds are if you're in the typical group you've never heard of this verse in your life, I hadn't either until some wonderful teachers came along. Your salvation will be the most important event in your life and God gives us 4 short sentences to believe with all our heart, it's just too simple for most people to believe. And that's the point.....most think they live lives good enough to get them into heaven on their own, they don't. You can now assure yourself of heaven right where you're at.......believe that Gospel and trust in Christ that HE has miraculously changed you from lost to saved because HE has.

You don't deserve heaven on your merits because we have all fallen short, you will see heaven based on Christ's works FOR YOU in your place.....HE is perfect we are not..........

Any questions feel free to PM me and I can get you started with some much better teachers than I on the Tube......I have no denomination, don't care for any of the cults, and ignore the prosperity teachers....they will be in a very dark corner of hell. The book says eternal life for a reason, if it was temporary or you could lose it, it would tell you.

There are some GREAT responses in this thread, but I am going to re-read this one!

Great thread so far!

SO! To have sex with someone.. NOT sin ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity