U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2018, 05:55 PM
 
2,935 posts, read 8,143,919 times
Reputation: 1850

Advertisements

Is it really true that earthly treasures such as wealth, popularity, earthly things (cars, boats, motorcycles, houses, clothing, furniture, electronics) are things of Satan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2018, 06:34 PM
 
20,385 posts, read 9,825,009 times
Reputation: 1677
Depends if someone is feeling jealous or envious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,806 posts, read 13,413,199 times
Reputation: 11674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Is it really true that earthly treasures such as wealth, popularity, earthly things (cars, boats, motorcycles, houses, clothing, furniture, electronics) are things of Satan?

If those are considered things of Satan, then Satan is okay by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 PM
 
21,839 posts, read 16,687,197 times
Reputation: 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Is it really true that earthly treasures such as wealth, popularity, earthly things (cars, boats, motorcycles, houses, clothing, furniture, electronics) are things of Satan?
Material possessions in and of themselves are neither good nor bad. It's what you do with them, and your attitude regarding material wealth that makes the difference. If you put material possessions before God, then that's bad. If God is first in your scale of values then everything else falls into place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2018, 07:48 PM
 
2,935 posts, read 8,143,919 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Material possessions in and of themselves are neither good nor bad. It's what you do with them, and your attitude regarding material wealth that makes the difference. If you put material possessions before God, then that's bad. If God is first in your scale of values then everything else falls into place.
I always felt it's our hearts and attitudes regarding material wealth that makes the difference, I do notice some people are very quick to judge those who have a lot in life and I don't like that, I feel if that's what brings them joy in life then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 PM
 
954 posts, read 242,028 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Is it really true that earthly treasures such as wealth, popularity, earthly things (cars, boats, motorcycles, houses, clothing, furniture, electronics) are things of Satan?
It is the love of money (greed) that is the root of evil, not money itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 03:12 AM
 
8,102 posts, read 7,071,630 times
Reputation: 1433
Only when people make their possession idols of a substitute for God , where as when you can chew gum and walk at the same time you can get a pass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 AM
 
10,569 posts, read 2,702,109 times
Reputation: 7174
Satan is said to be much more intelligent and cunning than any humans, so why would anyone think it would be so easy to recognize some of his tricks/ tactics?

Besides that, I dont think its possible to be a wealthy person (material possession wise) in the world today AND NOT let it become your idol at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Booth Texas
14,802 posts, read 4,968,434 times
Reputation: 1502
Why don't real idols mean anything? I see Christians wearing idols, bringing idols inside they house, going to church to look at a big fat idol during prayer, involving themselves in pagan practices bringing Christmas trees into their houses that represent a tree cut down that now lives, and is an idol, why isn't this sort of idolatry brought up by Christians when they look and make everything an idol except for the idol they have around their neck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 PM
 
40,054 posts, read 26,735,309 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Why don't real idols mean anything? I see Christians wearing idols, bringing idols inside they house, going to church to look at a big fat idol during prayer, involving themselves in pagan practices bringing Christmas trees into their houses that represent a tree cut down that now lives, and is an idol, why isn't this sort of idolatry brought up by Christians when they look and make everything an idol except for the idol they have around their neck?
NOTHING is an IDOL if it is NOT idolized, Hanni. The state of mind of idolizing determines what is being idolized NOT any specific things. You cannot idolize anything you do not INTEND to idolize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top