U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-03-2018, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,976 posts, read 22,156,685 times
Reputation: 10716

Advertisements

"Problem #10: Universalism leads to religious and moral indifference. If everyone gets saved no matter how they act, then why act morally, why perform good deeds, why strive to be just or compassionate? The Universalist’s motto could be, 'Do what thou wilt.'"

If this is the case, then why are so many universalists genuinely good people who care about their fellow human beings? It's not fear of punishment that motivates most people. It may be what motivates fundamentalist Christians and Bible literalists, but it certainly isn't what motivates me. That's really about all I have to say about this "problem." It's not a problem at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2018, 04:54 PM
 
20,435 posts, read 9,853,392 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I love that statement, Jerwade. There really is no other way to receive truth, is there?
It's the only way I know of when you have an open heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 05:14 PM
 
954 posts, read 243,371 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, there is. But you'd undoubtedly disagree with my interpretation of certain verses. And I'm sure you wouldn't be interested in any 1st and 2nd century writings that corroborate my beliefs.

Okay, are you telling me that you're not interested in anything else I have to say on the contents of the article in your link? Because if you're not, I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to share my opinion. I await your invitation to either continue or to move on to other threads.
I am interested in what the Scriptures says as it is the final authority over all additional writings. 2nd 3rd century writings are opinions that may mirror the Word or could be false doctrine which much of it is repeated on this board. And, many mislead others by taking those opinions out of context.

Jesus spoke on the afterlife quite a bit. There absolutely nothing that He said that even suggests that heaven or hell are temporary. But He does mention eternal separation.

Don’t ignore the Truth. Oprah and Rob Bell are poor spiritual leaders and should not be mimicked
6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 05:24 PM
 
20,435 posts, read 9,853,392 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I am interested in what the Scriptures says as it is the final authority over all additional writings.
Yet, you began this thread to condemn others without a second thought by using what another person had written?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Status: "Unfailing Love Exceeding Grace" (set 20 hours ago)
 
Location: the Kingdom of His dear Son
3,331 posts, read 907,499 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Jesus spoke on the after life quite a bit. There absolutely nothing that He said that even suggests that heaven or hell are temporary. But He does mention eternal separation.
Search= Eternal Torment=

"Your search query for 'eternal torment' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Eternal Separation=

"Your search query for 'eternal separation' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Eternal Hell=

"Your search query for 'eternal hell' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Everlasting Hell=

"Your search query for 'everlasting hell' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Everlasting death=

"Your search query for 'everlasting death' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Eternal death=

"Your search query for 'eternal death' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Everlasting Punishment =

1 entry found Matt. 25.46

Search= Everlasting Destruction=

1 entry found 2 Thess 1.9

Are our broadest hopes broad enough? Shall there be a nook or abyss, in all the universe of God, finally unlightened by the Cross? Shall there be a sin, or sorrow, or pain unhealed? Is the very universe, is creation in all its extent, a field wide enough for the Son of God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,976 posts, read 22,156,685 times
Reputation: 10716
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I am interested in what the Scriptures says as it is the final authority over all additional writings. 2nd 3rd century writings are opinions that may mirror the Word or could be false doctrine which much of it is repeated on this board. And, many mislead others by taking those opinions out of context.

Jesus spoke on the afterlife quite a bit. There absolutely nothing that He said that even suggests that heaven or hell are temporary. But He does mention eternal separation.

Don’t ignore the Truth. Oprah and Rob Bell are poor spiritual leaders and should not be mimicked
6
Okay, well, thanks for your input. I really don't care much about what Oprah and Rob Bell have to say, so I'll make a point on not mimicking them. I do care greatly about truth, though, even though my understanding of the scriptures may be different from yours. At any rate, whether you're interested in what I have to say or not, a couple of people appear to find my thoughts worth considering, so I'll probably continue to post until I've covered all 13 "problems" your website mentions. (By the way, I'm a woman, not a man.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,976 posts, read 22,156,685 times
Reputation: 10716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Search= Eternal Torment=

"Your search query for 'eternal torment' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Eternal Separation=

"Your search query for 'eternal separation' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Eternal Hell=

"Your search query for 'eternal hell' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Everlasting Hell=

"Your search query for 'everlasting hell' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Everlasting death=

"Your search query for 'everlasting death' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Eternal death=

"Your search query for 'eternal death' did not return any results. Please modify your search query and try again."

Search= Everlasting Punishment =

1 entry found Matt. 25.46

Search= Everlasting Destruction=

1 entry found 2 Thess 1.9

Are our broadest hopes broad enough? Shall there be a nook or abyss, in all the universe of God, finally unlightened by the Cross? Shall there be a sin, or sorrow, or pain unhealed? Is the very universe, is creation in all its extent, a field wide enough for the Son of God?
Nice work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM
 
20,435 posts, read 9,853,392 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Yet, you began this thread to condemn others without a second thought by using what another person had written?
Moderator cut: Quoted post removed. Highly offensive.

So, you can speak, instead of talking through a second party? Well done.
Although you are mistaken to believe you are in any position of authority.

It doesn't matter what he said, as I have already mentioned:
When you begin with a false premise, your conclusions will also be false.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-04-2018 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: 2nd quoted post removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 06:27 PM
 
20,435 posts, read 9,853,392 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, well, thanks for your input. I really don't care much about what Oprah and Rob Bell have to say, so I'll make a point on not mimicking them. I do care greatly about truth, though, even though my understanding of the scriptures may be different from yours. At any rate, whether you're interested in what I have to say or not, a couple of people appear to find my thoughts worth considering, so I'll probably continue to post until I've covered all 13 "problems" your website mentions. (By the way, I'm a woman, not a man.)
I also thought he was talking about you being a man, but I believe he was referencing the blogger?
But by all means continue, as I have always enjoyed what you have to say with great respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,163 posts, read 34,407,807 times
Reputation: 10505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I may agree or disagree with some people herein, but I don't follow the crowd.
And I have studied enough to know what it is I believe and what I don't.
I am just returning your own words back to you, because they didn't make any sense to me either.

You are better off speaking about your own beliefs as opposed to explain things about other people, which you dont seem to know much about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top