U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 05:14 PM

20,402 posts, read 9,828,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
No debating, but I had to inform a pastor that he was not my teacher. He asked, "Then, what am I?" I thought he was a friend and told him so, but that turned out not to be true. He was more interested in his own status and how he appeared to others. He was also the one who brought my daughter who I call "Army Girl" to tears as she stood her ground against him, the youth pastor and several parents when she was a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Your post is Completely off-topic. But I'd suggest you do find a pastor that can teach you.
I wasn't debating, just giving a different perception as people are not always who you believe them to be.
And, I do not need someone to teach me, although it might be what you need seeing how you mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 05:22 PM

40,065 posts, read 26,739,576 times
Quote:
Your post is Completely off-topic. But I'd suggest you do find a pastor that can teach you.
Why do you NOT believe the New Covenant instituted by Jesus, BF? We ALL have a teacher - the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." Why do you seek some man to teach you?

John 16:7-14 King James Version (KJV)
7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)
27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)
2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Status: "Trump 2020-Making America Great Again" (set 4 hours ago)

16,353 posts, read 8,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why do you NOT believe the New Covenant instituted by Jesus, BF? We ALL have a teacher - the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." Why do you seek some man to teach you?

John 16:7-14 King James Version (KJV)
7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)
27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)
2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
Isn’t it ironic that the same person who wrote that 2 Cor. passage also wrote that “...he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ...”

Eph. 4

Old 10-03-2018, 05:42 PM

5,963 posts, read 1,702,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Isn’t it ironic that the same person who wrote that 2 Cor. passage also wrote that “...he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ...”

Eph. 4
I can imagine wheels spinning furiously in his head trying to figure out how to mesh those. I'm sure the answer will be that Ephesians 4 is not to be believed.

In any event, folks, hug your pastor and thank him for his service.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Eph. 4
Quote:
I can imagine wheels spinning furiously in his head trying to figure out how to mesh those. I'm sure the answer will be that Ephesians 4 is not to be believed.

Nowhere, does it say to appoint yourself? Or, that any should follow you?

Old 10-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
If that is something you want to do, then you should follow through with it.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 PM

25,820 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If that is something you want to do, then you should follow through with it.

But totally a bro-hug, not actually touching. Like a Hollywood air-kiss. Totally non-gay.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:11 PM

28,488 posts, read 15,447,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Puts me in mind of our dear, departed, self-proclaimed pastor Vizio. I hope wherever he ended up, he had a soft landing.

As an animist, I have no pastor in my life. But I did serve with several Catholic priests whom I admired and respected during my altar boy days.
Being more off than on in this thread lately, I had not heard about Vizio.

People disappear from the thread for various reasons.

Hopefully I can catch up with him in my next stage of life.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 PM

25,820 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Being more off than on in this thread lately, I had not heard about Vizio.

People disappear from the thread for various reasons.

Hopefully I can catch up with him in my next stage of life.

I have little doubt your hope will be rewarded. Perhaps sooner than you think.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:45 AM

11,182 posts, read 10,999,497 times
The only ordained minister that I can think of that posts regularly these days is revrandy. the riding rev.

Hats off to you, pastor. Your posts here are always appropriate, on topic, insightful, and helpful. Your sense of humor adds to the pleasure of having you here showing us how you interact with your congregation.

Thanks for your contributions, rev.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or