U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 05:06 PM

435 posts, read 117,369 times

Advertisements

See my full post here:

https://www.christianforums.com/thre...#post-73242795

Which begins with:

"Let's say a criminal whose punishment according to God's law of justice is to be stoned to death & he "shall not be pardoned" (i.e. "not be let off" the hook for this crime's punishment), so the people stone him to death. Just because the criminal was "not pardoned" (let off) from the due punishment of stoning and his crime was, in that sense, "unpardonable", that does not mean Love Omnipotent, i.e. God, ceased to love him or was incapable of - forgiving - the criminal for his - sin - postmortem if he confessed & repented."

and ends with:

"What is the consequence that will not be pardoned (or “let off”) for blaspheming the Holy Spirit? Could it be death, whether in “this age or in the age to come” (Mt.12:32), e.g. the millennium? Perhaps an imminent or immediate death, and or divinely sanctioned capital punishment. A death that ends their opportunity for salvation by grace in their mortal life & ships them off to corrective punishment, such as in a place the rich man (Luke 16:19-31) went to? For as long as it takes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 11:50 PM

14 posts, read 3,133 times
so, do you think you committed this sin?

Old 01-28-2019, 03:21 AM

16,293 posts, read 7,672,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotmyname View Post
so, do you think you committed this sin?
No, the question is, "what could the author of that passage have in mind?" It is a contradiction in terms.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 PM

51 posts, read 6,765 times
Hi Clement of Alexandria,

I don't understand your question. Are you asking what happens to a person who blasphemes the Holy Spirit?

I don't think Jesus was speaking literally of a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. He was talking more about people who harden their hearts when their conscience tells them to do good things. Hitler is a good example. He started off killing a few Jews. His conscience must have pricked him but he ignored it. He continued to kill more people. His conscience again told him it was an evil act. But he ignored it and went on to kill 6 million Jews. A person who has rebelled against his conscience repeatedly is one who has 'blasphemed the Holy Spirit'. The function of the Holy Spirit is to tell us to do good things. When you rebel against that, you are effectively blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I suppose it is hard for one who has done that repeatedly (e.g. Hitler) from ever turning over a new leaf. But of course if he can, he should. But Jesus is talking about the hardened sinner who won't ever mend his evil ways.

Not sure if I have answered your question which I may have misunderstood in the first place.

Cheerio!

Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 AM

15,441 posts, read 12,170,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithon View Post
A person who has rebelled against his conscience repeatedly
is one who has 'blasphemed the Holy Spirit'.

The function of the Holy Spirit is to tell us to do good things.
When you rebel against that, you are effectively blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Well, I'll be darned....that is the first time anyone ever explained to me
what that means...I have asked before.
Thank you! And of course, that makes perfect sense!!!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM

2,323 posts, read 631,299 times
What is the consequence that will not be pardoned (or “let off”)

The unpardonable sin has always been unbelief.........

Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must BELIEVE that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 AM

25,886 posts, read 13,451,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
What is the consequence that will not be pardoned (or “let off”)

The unpardonable sin has always been unbelief.........

Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must BELIEVE that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
That's simply silly.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,183,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That's simply silly.
Since I do believe that God is love, for me the essence of that passage is the understanding that loving others is a reward in itself.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:42 AM

25,886 posts, read 13,451,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Since I do believe that God is love, for me the essence of that passage is the understanding that loving others is a reward in itself.
The silly bit was that lack of belief is an unpardonable sin.

And I could have used much more colourful and accurate language....

Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,183,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The silly bit was that lack of belief is an unpardonable sin.

And I could have used much more colourful and accurate language....
Oh I know. I agree that it is silly. Just sharing my own thoughts on the passage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or