U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:58 AM

40,084 posts, read 26,750,404 times

Advertisements

If you are judging, you are NOT loving. If you are NOT loving, God is NOT with you. When we love, we are born of God and know God. I make it a point to always focus on love so that I remain close to God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 11:02 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,174,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I ask because of another thread...it looks like people think we are not to judge anything...
"This cake is bad compared to that one."
"Oooo, you're judging...that's a judgment! Oooo bad.."
See what I mean?
I see it often over the years.

Ex: "He's a bad Christian....you're judging....well, he steals from the neighbor, so he's a bad Christian!....You're still judging!!!

There is confusion over discernment, observations, preferences, opinions, choices,
likes and dislikes, perceptions, assessments....etc.

So what do you think was meant by Do not judge..
Thanks.
Are you talking about this passage?...

“Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.”

I take that to mean if you want to judge go ahead, but be prepared to be judged in the same way and for the same reasons in return. What goes around comes around. That might give one pause about their motivation for judging as well as how they deliver those judgments.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:12 AM

63,070 posts, read 34,350,819 times
Quote:
I ask because of another thread...it looks like people think we are not to judge anything...
See what I mean?

Ex: "He's a bad Christian....you're judging....well, he steals from the neighbor, so he's a bad Christian!....You're still judging!!!

There is confusion over discernment, observations, preferences, opinions, choices,

Thanks.
Jesus instructs to not judge hypocritically. If you have a habit of judging how "loving", or "unloving" other people are, then you better have a good track record of loving words and actions, or else you are guilty of hypocritical judgment.

He continues by saying: "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

Aka, don't waste your time with people who are hostile towards your message.

In order to determine who is a dog / pig requires judgment /discernment based on what that person has said and done.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:35 AM

25,829 posts, read 13,426,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Jesus instructs to not judge hypocritically. If you have a habit of judging how "loving", or "unloving" other people are, then you better have a good track record of loving words and actions, or else you are guilty of hypocritical judgment.

...snip....

Hmmm...

Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 PM

20,412 posts, read 9,834,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
... don't waste your time with people who are hostile towards your message.
This is priceless.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:09 PM

40,084 posts, read 26,750,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Are you talking about this passage?...

“Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.”

I take that to mean if you want to judge go ahead, but be prepared to be judged in the same way and for the same reasons in return. What goes around comes around. That might give one pause about their motivation for judging as well as how they deliver those judgments.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:47 PM

15,389 posts, read 12,143,677 times
Again, there is passing judgment...and then there is just seeing 'what is'.

If a guy is a drunk...and you see and know he is a drunk...are you judging? No....
When you think, "He is a drunk and a worthless piece of dirt..."

That is judging.

"I am better then him." ("...because he is a drunk...") Shhh...

It's so simple, isn't it?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:21 PM

32,228 posts, read 21,115,456 times
Quote:
See what I mean?

Thanks.
Because you do what you judge. Judging not by appearance we are judging how things ought to be instead of how they appear.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:09 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,631,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
To me, it means:
  • Don't play God
  • Don't act as though we have all necessary information to render a fair and complete judgement
  • Don't act as though we can read others' minds
  • Don't make assumptions and jump to conclusions
  • Avoid tearing people down
  • Avoid lifting ourselves up as though we are special or superior
  • Recognize that we are all equal (including pastors and self-appointed types), and God is way above us all

A person doesn't even need a full Bible for that. Look at Jesus' life, and open your eyes to what helps others and improves life, versus what takes away.

Also, "judging" involves perspective, not just action or inaction. It's not a simplistic matter of 'doing this' or 'not doing that'; it's about having a mindset and perspective to helps us - perhaps subconsciously or automatically - have better control over our actions and words.

I like this a lot Thoreau. If we're busy judging, we're not busy making things better...and we're going to be terrible judges so don't.

When I started out, I was an auditor. Basically, I'm judging financial statements or datasets all day long. I could pass judgements about the past, and perhaps set expectations on the future or things to look for to correct errors. I could run tests to make sure I had the full story, and there were still countless times when the understanding would change the deeper I went.

I could find problems and help educate for future development....but nothing I did changed the past.

I spent 10 years critiquing journal entries before making my first one. That's when I stopped "bayonetting the dead" as auditors sometimes get hacked for doing.

Judging souls and actions...that's God's job. God knows our own basis for making decisions. If I give cash to someone I thought was in need and they took said cash and bought a gun to shoot someone...God will judge if I did so knowing this would occur or not. Further, God gives us free will, so we can't judge the future. Predict or guess, but not judge. Which means I guess we're only left with the present....and what we're doing right now and what everyone around us is doing....so I guess we better make that part great.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:18 AM

10,626 posts, read 2,714,882 times
Doesnt it also say Christians are supposed to have NO direct or indirect connection to sin or immorality? How would this be possible without judging?

Example...If I find out govt has been using tax money for something sinful or immoral, and I choose to NOT pay my taxes anymore due to this, I have basically judged those responsible for spending my tax money...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or