U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:30 PM

20,350 posts, read 9,815,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Love is greater than faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
without faith it is impossible to please God

But of course it does not have to be one or the other, because faith helps bring forth fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I understand the sentiment and Jesus commands us to love. But John 3:16 talks salvation and required belief in Jesus as Lord. The faith encompasses believing Jesus as God and His command, love, and turning away from sin
You can believe all you want but without love your faith means nothing, even your demons believe and tremble.

It's no wonder you preach a fearmongering gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 12:39 PM

62,983 posts, read 34,302,543 times
Quote:
You can believe all you want but without love your faith means nothing, even your demons believe and tremble. It's no wonder you preach a fear mongering gospel.
Demons do not have faith in Christ being their savior. You have completely misunderstood what faith means when it comes to relationship with Christ, which explains your above comment.

The thief on the cross had nothing but faith, and he was saved, so to say faith means nothing is pure nonsense.

Like I said, faith brings forth fruits of the Spirit, including love, so you should probably abandon the either/or mentality.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Status: "Trump 2020-make liberals cry again" (set 3 days ago)

16,347 posts, read 8,890,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I understand the sentiment and Jesus commands us to love. But John 3:16 talks salvation and required belief in Jesus as Lord. The faith encompasses believing Jesus as God and His command, love, and turning away from sin

Quote:
Demons do not have faith in Christ being their savior. You have completely misunderstood what faith means when it comes to relationship with Christ, which explains your above comment.

The thief on the cross had nothing but faith, and he was saved, so to say faith means nothing is pure nonsense.

Like I said, faith brings forth fruits of the Spirit, including love, so you should probably abandon the either/or mentality.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
You can believe all you want but without love your faith means nothing, even your demons believe and tremble.

It's no wonder you preach a fearmongering gospel.
Quote:

Faith is built on the foundation of love, whether you like that or not.
And you cannot have the one without the other as a foundation.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

He never commanded anyone to have faith without love.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Faith is built on the foundation of love, whether you like that or not.
And you cannot have the one without the other as a foundation.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

He never commanded anyone to have faith without love.
Thanks for sharing your personal take on it, but clearly you have misunderstood what faith is, and what it does.

The thief on the cross had faith, and he was saved. Had he lived longer, his faith would have brought forth fruits of the Spirit, but since died soon after, the only thing he had was faith, and it was all Jesus wanted from him.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Do you honestly believe that the thief did not exemplify that of loving Christ?
How about the thumbs-up choir, do you care to answer the question for Mr. Jarber?

Old 10-06-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your personal take on it, but clearly you have misunderstood what faith is, and what it does.

The thief on the cross had faith, and he was saved. Had he lived longer, his faith would have brought forth fruits of the Spirit, but since died soon after, the only thing he had was faith, and it was all Jesus wanted from him.
It is you who relies on his personal take because you do not comprehend the power of love.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
It is you who relies on his personal take because you do not comprehend the power of love.
I comprehend it just fine. I explained my point regarding faith, so there is no point in repeating it. Feel free to disagree.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I comprehend it just fine. I explained my point regarding faith, so there is no point in repeating it. Feel free to disagree.
My children trust and have faith because of our love for one-another.
It is you who disagrees and that isn't a problem for me.

I would lay my life down for them - and they know it.

"Faith is not believing; it's knowing the love of the father."

Old 10-06-2018, 02:13 PM

16,256 posts, read 7,646,560 times
As those "demons" know, faith is not just acknowledgement of the nature and position of the Christ, it is a commitment to His purpose, which IS love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or