Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:31 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Word games?
No answer?
Where do you get the idea you are saved by anything you do?
"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not by works, lest any man should boast."
Love typically manifests itself in actions (it is the motivator of actions), but I guess you can just 'love' and not manifest it in any way, and just keep it to yourself. In that sense, it is a feeling, even if it bares no fruit. It's like a schoolboy who is in love with a girl, but she doesn't know it because he is too shy to bring it up or do anything about it.
Nothing more clearly manifests your carnal-mindedness than this post. What we DO is always carnal. WHY we DO is always spiritual and THAT is what matters to God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 04:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Love typically manifests itself in actions (it is the motivator of actions), but I guess you can just 'love' and not manifest it in any way, and just keep it to yourself. In that sense it is a feeling, even if it bares no fruit. Its like a schoolboy who is in love with a girl, but she doesn't know it because he is too shy to bring it up, or do anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nothing more clearly manifests your carnal-mindedness than this post. What we DO is always carnal. WHY we DO is always spiritual and THAT is what matters to God.
So nice of you to say that. Very loving

Not that it makes any sense.....

I take it this means you disagree about love being a motivator of good actions. I think most people would agree with me. If you are not motivated by love, then what are you motivated by?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-06-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
So nice of you to say that. Very loving

Not that it makes any sense.....

I take it this means you disagree about love being a motivator of good actions. I think most people would agree with me. If you are not motivated by love, then what are you motivated by?
You make the most confused inferences, Finn. I am entirely motivated by love as much and as often as possible often despite extreme provocation because THAT is the measure of us that God is taking - our state of mind in agape love. You remain mired in confusion over specific actions irrespective of the state of mind behind them. The wrong state of mind is one that THINKS you are doing things in the name of God (despite their negative or evil effects) when God IS agape love so you should be doing things in the name of agape love.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-06-2018 at 06:08 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You make the most confused inferences, Finn. I am entirely motivated by love as much and as often as possible often despite extreme provocation because THAT is the measure of us that God is taking - our state of mind in agape love. Your remain mired in confusion over specific actions irrespective of the state of mind behind them. The wrong state of mind is one that THINKS you are doing things in the name of God (despite their negative or evil effects) when God IS agape love so you should be doing things in the name of agape love.
I said love is a motivator for good actions, and you replied by saying "Nothing more clearly manifests your carnal-mindedness than this post".

Like i said, it did not make any sense, and still doesn't. Maybe you just felt compelled to disagree without even knowing what you were disagreeing with.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Finn is just trying to distract from the point I made about commitment being a part of saving faith by claiming I am saying that the works that demonstrate that commitment IN that faith are what saves. It's a familiar dodge.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
You make the most confused inferences, Finn. I am entirely motivated by love as much and as often as possible often despite extreme provocation because THAT is the measure of us that God is taking - our state of mind in agape love. You remain mired in confusion over specific actions irrespective of the state of mind behind them. The wrong state of mind is one that THINKS you are doing things in the name of God (despite their negative or evil effects) when God IS agape love so you should be doing things in the name of agape love.
Quote:
I said love is a motivator for good actions, and you replied by saying "Nothing more clearly manifests your carnal-mindedness than this post".
Like I said, it did not make any sense and still doesn't. Maybe you just felt compelled to disagree without even knowing what you were disagreeing with.
No, Finn, you made a point of saying that it is what you DO that shows love especially with your example of a boy who loves a girl but never shows it or tells her. Stop being coy. God is concerned with our state of mind in love, period. ALL our motivations should proceed from agape love for all concerned.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:33 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The thief on the cross ACTED on his commitment by explaining the situation to the other thief.
Truth. He confessed his sin and asked Jesus to remember him, thereby putting his faith in Christ. He recognized that Jesus was the Christ.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
No, Finn, you made a point of saying that it is what you DO that shows love especially with your example of a boy who loves a girl but never shows it or tells her. Stop being coy. God is concerned with our state of mind in love, period. ALL our motivations should proceed from agape love for all concerned.
No, that was not my point at all. My point was very clear: love motivates good actions. Period.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You can believe all you want but without love your faith means nothing, even your demons believe and tremble.

It's no wonder you preach a fearmongering gospel.
Inspired to believe out of fear of eternal torment.

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment(in the mind of the fundy, eternal hell)

Old 10-06-2018, 09:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Finn is just trying to distract from the point I made about commitment being a part of saving faith by claiming I am saying that the works that demonstrate that commitment IN that faith are what saves. It's a familiar dodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity