U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 02:03 PM

21,839 posts, read 16,687,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
That basically means you need to take an ancient history course in order to understand the bible.
The bible should thus be instructing readers to do this, before embarking on reading it.
Maybe the biblical scholars should have put a disclaimer on it, and instructed those to do an old English course for those reading the 1611 King James Version as well. (which is most of the Evangelicals)
I believe in most of the New Testament, but a lot of the Old is storytelling and parables imo.
Actually, seminaries should be teaching these things to their students, who then as pastors should be teaching these things to their congregations. But you are right in so far as that a study of ancient history, at least as it relates to the ancient near East, Rome, and Greek culture should be a part of every serious Bible students study.

Old Testament scholar Michael S. Heiser titled the first chapter of his book, 'The Bible Unfiltered' as 'Serious Bible Study Isn't for Sissies.' And he's right. Reading the Bible is not studying the Bible. Studying the Bible is hard work and takes a great deal of time. Paying attention to historical, cultural, and literary context is an important aspect of serious Bible study. And only by doing so can the serious student of the Bible hope to get into the mind of the ancient Biblical writers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 03:32 PM
sub

788 posts, read 408,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
That basically means you need to take an ancient history course in order to understand the bible.
The bible should thus be instructing readers to do this, before embarking on reading it.
Maybe the biblical scholars should have put a disclaimer on it, and instructed those to do an old English course for those reading the 1611 King James Version as well. (which is most of the Evangelicals)
I believe in most of the New Testament, but a lot of the Old is storytelling and parables imo.
Mostly, I think it shows just how far removed we are from ancient Christianity.
Not that it's hidden, unknown, or no longer exists. It isn't and it does, I believe.
Eastern Orthodoxy has answered questions and completed thoughts in ways I never understood before.
Shockingly, it generally doesn't contradict anything I believed before even though it seems vastly different at first glance. They call it the fullness of the faith, and I certainly knew something was missing before so that statement resonates with me in a special way.
The mental gymnastics required to make sense of the Bible on it's own with no external understanding was incredibly frustrating and almost caused me to give up entirely.
So much time is spent studying it to pick it apart in order to argue someone's case to defend their angle of the gospel that they, we all, forget to simply live out the faith.

Studying isn't bad, nor should we just leave the heavy thinking to the professionals. Perhaps being a little bit of a historian would be beneficial to help detox and appreciate what has always existed before so much was lost during the reformation. Rome needed reforming, no doubt, but they threw the baby out with the bath water, I think.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:44 PM

17,563 posts, read 10,620,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Paul recommends Phoebe to the church of Rome, describe her previous tenure as a deacon at Cenchreae And in the oldest texts found for Romans, the word he uses, diakonos, is the same he uses in Timothy.
A deacon in scripture is neither an elder/pastor/bishop or what Deacons are today.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:47 PM

17,563 posts, read 10,620,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
With all respect, I don't think your comfort has much to do with it.

The feminine version of diakonos does not appear in Greek until the 5th Century. In Acts, the four daughters of Phillip are described as having the gift of prophecy so, evidently, men listened to women of the period when it came to spiritual teaching.
The word prophet and prophecy do not always mean foretelling the future or authority. It basically means repeating the word of God and can include the already written word. So any woman today who speaks to a person about the Bible and repeats the words of scripture, is acting as a prophet or prophesying.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:01 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,139,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, seminaries should be teaching these things to their students, who then as pastors should be teaching these things to their congregations. But you are right in so far as that a study of ancient history, at least as it relates to the ancient near East, Rome, and Greek culture should be a part of every serious Bible students study.

Old Testament scholar Michael S. Heiser titled the first chapter of his book, 'The Bible Unfiltered' as 'Serious Bible Study Isn't for Sissies.' And he's right. Reading the Bible is not studying the Bible. Studying the Bible is hard work and takes a great deal of time. Paying attention to historical, cultural, and literary context is an important aspect of serious Bible study. And only by doing so can the serious student of the Bible hope to get into the mind of the ancient Biblical writers.

I'm sorry I cannot take anyone associated to Liberty University as a scholar. If they truly were a scholar then they would be with an accredited seminary or theological college.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:46 PM

8,671 posts, read 3,104,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I'm sorry I cannot take anyone associated to Liberty University as a scholar. If they truly were a scholar then they would be with an accredited seminary or theological college.
Would you be so kind as to provide a list of qualified schools of thought that are more accredited?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:03 PM

939 posts, read 144,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The word prophet and prophecy do not always mean foretelling the future or authority. It basically means repeating the word of God and can include the already written word. So any woman today who speaks to a person about the Bible and repeats the words of scripture, is acting as a prophet or prophesying.
Well said. That is if it is the word of God.

"When the lion roars who will not fear it. When the Lord God speaks who will not prophesy." Amos 3:8

Old 10-07-2018, 10:07 PM

178 posts, read 31,016 times
"It is easier for a Camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven".

Define RICH, so that everyone will agree on the same definition. You cant?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:13 PM

8,671 posts, read 3,104,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
"It is easier for a Camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven".

Define RICH, so that everyone will agree on the same definition. You cant?
A man with ten camels?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:16 PM

178 posts, read 31,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
A man with ten camels?
Could be by a nomad's standard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity