U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 AM

5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
The reason I'm in church is because my teacher kept telling me to try it out. And there just might be a God. But even if there is, how do I know that it's the Christian God out of all the other religions? Sometimes I feel like asking people there.. ''How do you know?'' I understand the bible says so, but how do you know it's accurate? Because it says so?

And my teacher sometimes says in order to get different results you gotta try different things. But so many people pray for themselves when many times there are others is more need. Sometimes I feel like people are just using religion for themselves instead of praying for sick kids, etc.. When I hear people say they couldn't have won the game without God, it seems like they're insinuating that God is playing favorites. God shouldn't care about your team winning, he should be assisting those with serious problems.

I don't seriously believe that people believed all those miracles happened in the book. If they happened in front of their eyes right now, they wouldn't believe it. If someone told them they were Jesus and could Walk on Water, no way would they believe it, even though it could be him.
First of all....your teacher? Do you mean your school teacher? College? Church? Just trying to understand.

Second...yes, sometimes people just use religion. Sometimes people like to simply belong to the church CULTURE and they have friends, relatives, etc in a church, so it's what they know. I have a huge extended family that all belongs to a particular denomination. When they are raised up in it, it's just how they identify and it's what they are. They don't really think about it..it's just assumed.

But how do I know it's Jesus and not some other deity? Because he called me and changed my heart as a young man. That sounds subjective, and I suppose it is. I am saved because God saved me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 09:38 AM

16,256 posts, read 7,644,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Why are you so concerned with what others are doing? Focus on yourself. Read the Bible, starting with the gospels and maybe Romans. Pray to God and ask Him to reveal Himself to you. If you’re not feeling it, move on. Focusing on the behavior of others will just make you bitter.

Search this website for answers to your questions about God and the Bible.

https://www.gotquestions.org
All propaganda that OP has alreafy seen through. Nice try, though.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:50 AM

21,804 posts, read 16,674,400 times
Quote:
The reason I'm in church is because my teacher kept telling me to try it out. And there just might be a God. But even if there is, how do I know that it's the Christian God out of all the other religions? Sometimes I feel like asking people there.. ''How do you know?'' I understand the bible says so, but how do you know it's accurate? Because it says so?

And my teacher sometimes says in order to get different results you gotta try different things. But so many people pray for themselves when many times there are others is more need. Sometimes I feel like people are just using religion for themselves instead of praying for sick kids, etc.. When I hear people say they couldn't have won the game without God, it seems like they're insinuating that God is playing favorites. God shouldn't care about your team winning, he should be assisting those with serious problems.

I don't seriously believe that people believed all those miracles happened in the book. If they happened in front of their eyes right now, they wouldn't believe it. If someone told them they were Jesus and could Walk on Water, no way would they believe it, even though it could be him.
The Christian faith is a historical faith. It is based on real events that occurred in real time and space. Historians know that the man Jesus existed and that he was crucified during the reign of the Roman emperor Tiberius when Pontius Pilate was the governor of Judea. Historian Paula Fredriksen says,
We have facts. Facts about Jesus, and facts about the movement that formed after his crucifixion. . . The single most solid fact about Jesus' life is his death: he was executed by the Roman prefect Pilate, on or around Passover, in the manner Rome reserved particularly for political insurrectionists, namely crucifixion.

Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, Fredriksen, pp. 7-8.
Fredriksen, by the way is not an apologist.

The question is whether Jesus was resurrected. If he was, then he is who he claimed to be and Christianity is true. His disciples claimed to be eyewitnesses to Jesus' resurrection, and many even skeptical scholars recognize that the disciples believed that they saw the risen Jesus even though they (the skeptical scholars) don't themselves know what it was that the disciples actually saw. Some put it down to hallucinations. But the issue is what is the best explanation for what the disciples saw. If naturalistic explanations such as hallucinations, the swoon theory in which it is claimed that Jesus only appeared to die, but later recovered, mistaken identity in which it is claimed that Jesus had a long lost identical twin that suddenly appeared after Jesus' death and was mistaken for Jesus, the conspiracy theory in which the disciples lied abut seeing Jesus alive after his crucifixion, if these explanations can be ruled out, then the only thing that has explanatory power is that the disciples actually did see the resurrected Jesus.

If you're interested, listen to these videos concerning the evidence for Jesus' resurrection.

2. The Resurrection of Jesus (The Historical Evidence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0iDNLxmWVM

The Resurrection Argument That Changed a Generation of Scholars - Gary Habermas at UCSB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay_Db4RwZ_M

You owe it to yourself to investigate and examine the evidence.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:51 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,892,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Why are you so concerned with what others are doing? Focus on yourself. Read the Bible, starting with the gospels and maybe Romans. Pray to God and ask Him to reveal Himself to you. If you’re not feeling it, move on. Focusing on the behavior of others will just make you bitter.

Search this website for answers to your questions about God and the Bible.

https://www.gotquestions.org
Why r evangelicals so concerned? Focus on their own issues and let society live..

Old 10-05-2018, 11:14 AM

3,139 posts, read 936,737 times
I would recommend that you not join a church, but read the New Testament and ask God to open the scriptures to you so that you can understand the message. If you approach the bible with fear, you will be in bondage for a long time. If you are bound by serious inclinations toward sin (lying, cheating, stealing, deceiving others, love of money and things, etc.) you need to ask God to forgive you and free you from all the things that bind us spiritually. Anytime you get a thought in your mind telling you that God does not want to help you or that he will not answer, you need to reject the negative thoughts like that. The best way to get to know God is to try to walk with him in this way and it takes time to grow and time to understand spiritual things.

There are some good churches out there, but there are a lot of really confused and harmful ones as well and since you are new to having the desire to find God, it's best that you not have to travel through all the churches in Babylon only to realize so many of them had no clue what God is saying and doing.

Know that God is Spirit and pure Agape Love and lives within us and it is IN HIM that we live and move and have our BEING. God is a living spirit.

If you know a person who actually is very spiritually mature, perhaps you should form some friendships with those people.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:55 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
You might learn a lot more, and have less interference from man / religion / churchiness, if you studied the Bible at home. Things are dire out there now in churches, with lots of politics and power-plays going on that Jesus would have never approved of.

In the end, belief is a spiritual matter between a person (esp. his/her soul) and the higher power (or God). Other people (especially in churches these days) - whether intentionally or unintentionally - introduce a "middleman" issues and confusion. Better to do the reading yourself, and let your mind and soul work with God directly for the best information and understanding.

Beware of mankind, the biggest stumbling block in spirituality...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-05-2018 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 12:32 PM

5,654 posts, read 4,875,766 times
Jesus said , Blessed are they that DO hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.
My experience has proven that those that just want to soothe their ego are not likely to experience any thing but knowledge men trade .
However , the desperate are a different breed and the more desperate=hungry you are for God's intervention the more likely you can receive Him .
Jesus provided His believers the Holy Spirit they can receive to know God's will in their life .
The scriptures are guidelines but not the hard line to God's will . the Holy Spirit is .
The first step is repentance, turning away from your old life, to God's influence, this by Asking Jesus into your life .
Doing house cleaning(in your life) is another, and needing Him to baptize you in the Holy Spirit is the next .
Having God's influence over that of others is the most important issue, because all of us will be giving account individually, and for the things we say and do.
Know the things Jesus said ,more than any other teacher, biblical or otherwise .
Don't let your hunger for God become complacent. Weak luke warm believers filled with mens misinformation tend to belittle those whom are more serious than them selves.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:54 PM

3,139 posts, read 936,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus said , Blessed are they that DO hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.
My experience has proven that those that just want to soothe their ego are not likely to experience any thing but knowledge men trade .
However , the desperate are a different breed and the more desperate=hungry you are for God's intervention the more likely you can receive Him .
Jesus provided His believers the Holy Spirit they can receive to know God's will in their life .
The scriptures are guidelines but not the hard line to God's will . the Holy Spirit is .
The first step is repentance, turning away from your old life, to God's influence, this by Asking Jesus into your life .
Doing house cleaning(in your life) is another, and needing Him to baptize you in the Holy Spirit is the next .
Having God's influence over that of others is the most important issue, because all of us will be giving account individually, and for the things we say and do.
Know the things Jesus said ,more than any other teacher, biblical or otherwise .
Don't let your hunger for God become complacent. Weak luke warm believers filled with mens misinformation tend to belittle those whom are more serious than them selves.
I would add to this that it is okay to ASK GOD to help you to turn toward him and away from the world and all it's sin. If you are led to believe that you have to clean yourself up before you can walk with God and talk to him, you'll never come. That is why many have said truthfully to "come as you are". We humans have the capacity to be in deep bondage to this world system and the lusts of our flesh. We cannot take the bindings off in our own strength. God wants to be your deliverer, to take any bondage away from you as you wait for him. He really does want children who will return to him who are needy, hungry, broken, at the end of what this world and our short lives have to offer. Many people in the churches might try to convince you that you are separated from God because of various types of sin you are struggling with. That is the reason some churches do so much more damage to people because they take it upon themselves (after hearing the pastor) that it's okay to condemn certain kinds of sinners. They are especially hard on homosexuals, people who don't enjoy the church scene, liberal thinkers, and a sordid list of others. In this way, they compare themselves to others and feel that makes them more holy or more spiritual instead of measuring themselves to the Standard of Jesus Christ who forgave even his enemies and died for the entire human family to bring us back to God. Christ draws... people push. Love draws ... religion pushes people from God.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM

20,342 posts, read 9,813,292 times
Quote:
If someone told them they were Jesus and could Walk on Water, no way would they believe it, even though it could be him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree with the OP, if Jesus himself descended into Times Square on New Years eve, surrounded by angels and trumpets blasting, majority of people would not believe it was real, they would say it was a hoax or drugs in the water, etc.
Religious fanaticism would condemn him as most never know who they are talking to, and they have a tendency to make a lot of presumptions about people in general with their condemnation theologies. More than likely, they would see him as the anti-Christ or call him a heretic because he spoke more on love, mercy, forgiveness and heaven than he did anything else.

The concept of brotherly love or agape love is seriously lacking with this "us" and "them" mentality.

Last edited by Jerwade; 10-05-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 02:48 PM

40,039 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Religious fanaticism would condemn him as most never know who they are talking to, and they have a tendency to make a lot of presumptions about people in general with their condemnation theologies. More than likely, they would see him as the anti-Christ or call him a heretic because he spoke more on love, mercy, forgiveness and heaven than he did anything else.

The concept of brotherly love or agape love is seriously lacking with this "us" and "them" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or