U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2018, 01:37 AM
 
466 posts, read 140,656 times
Reputation: 373

Advertisements

The reason I'm in church is because my teacher kept telling me to try it out. And there just might be a God. But even if there is, how do I know that it's the Christian God out of all the other religions? Sometimes I feel like asking people there.. ''How do you know?'' I understand the bible says so, but how do you know it's accurate? Because it says so?

And my teacher sometimes says in order to get different results you gotta try different things. But so many people pray for themselves when many times there are others is more need. Sometimes I feel like people are just using religion for themselves instead of praying for sick kids, etc.. When I hear people say they couldn't have won the game without God, it seems like they're insinuating that God is playing favorites. God shouldn't care about your team winning, he should be assisting those with serious problems.

I don't seriously believe that people believed all those miracles happened in the book. If they happened in front of their eyes right now, they wouldn't believe it. If someone told them they were Jesus and could Walk on Water, no way would they believe it, even though it could be him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2018, 02:54 AM
 
8,101 posts, read 7,068,811 times
Reputation: 1433
God hears everything that you say , so talk to God as often as you can , and when you do the things which Jesus told us to do . God will communicate back to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 02:58 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,899,704 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
The reason I'm in church is because my teacher kept telling me to try it out. And there just might be a God. But even if there is, how do I know that it's the Christian God out of all the other religions? Sometimes I feel like asking people there.. ''How do you know?'' I understand the bible says so, but how do you know it's accurate? Because it says so?

And my teacher sometimes says in order to get different results you gotta try different things. But so many people pray for themselves when many times there are others is more need. Sometimes I feel like people are just using religion for themselves instead of praying for sick kids, etc.. When I hear people say they couldn't have won the game without God, it seems like they're insinuating that God is playing favorites. God shouldn't care about your team winning, he should be assisting those with serious problems.

I don't seriously believe that people believed all those miracles happened in the book. If they happened in front of their eyes right now, they wouldn't believe it. If someone told them they were Jesus and could Walk on Water, no way would they believe it, even though it could be him.
Decisions based on personal experiences are always best. Accepting another person's belief or idea simply because they said so usually leads to misgivings..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 03:00 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,899,704 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God hears everything that you say , so talk to God as often as you can , and when you do the things which Jesus told us to do . God will communicate back to you
wow...I so agree with this idea...GO straight to the source and meditate....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,257 posts, read 7,648,523 times
Reputation: 1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
The reason I'm in church is because my teacher kept telling me to try it out. And there just might be a God. But even if there is, how do I know that it's the Christian God out of all the other religions? Sometimes I feel like asking people there.. ''How do you know?'' I understand the bible says so, but how do you know it's accurate? Because it says so?

And my teacher sometimes says in order to get different results you gotta try different things. But so many people pray for themselves when many times there are others is more need. Sometimes I feel like people are just using religion for themselves instead of praying for sick kids, etc.. When I hear people say they couldn't have won the game without God, it seems like they're insinuating that God is playing favorites. God shouldn't care about your team winning, he should be assisting those with serious problems.

I don't seriously believe that people believed all those miracles happened in the book. If they happened in front of their eyes right now, they wouldn't believe it. If someone told them they were Jesus and could Walk on Water, no way would they believe it, even though it could be him.
Clearly THAT church is not for you. When and if you find a GOOD reason to see what Christian faith really means, try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,355 posts, read 12,119,741 times
Reputation: 16598
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Decisions based on personal experiences are always best.
Accepting another person's belief or idea simply because they said so usually leads to misgivings..
Great 2 sentences. You too, hljc.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-05-2018 at 04:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 06:17 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,899,704 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
The reason I'm in church is because my teacher kept telling me to try it out. And there just might be a God. But even if there is, how do I know that it's the Christian God out of all the other religions? Sometimes I feel like asking people there.. ''How do you know?'' I understand the bible says so, but how do you know it's accurate? Because it says so?

And my teacher sometimes says in order to get different results you gotta try different things. But so many people pray for themselves when many times there are others is more need. Sometimes I feel like people are just using religion for themselves instead of praying for sick kids, etc.. When I hear people say they couldn't have won the game without God, it seems like they're insinuating that God is playing favorites. God shouldn't care about your team winning, he should be assisting those with serious problems.

I don't seriously believe that people believed all those miracles happened in the book. If they happened in front of their eyes right now, they wouldn't believe it. If someone told them they were Jesus and could Walk on Water, no way would they believe it, even though it could be him.
You are at a great starting point! Continue in the direction you have started and I believe you will "find" the answers you do not currently have...though you have already answered the most important ones in bold...

IMHO, the world needs more THINKERS like you....they become role models for the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Status: "Trump 2020-make liberals cry again" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
16,347 posts, read 8,892,691 times
Reputation: 1652
Why are you so concerned with what others are doing? Focus on yourself. Read the Bible, starting with the gospels and maybe Romans. Pray to God and ask Him to reveal Himself to you. If you’re not feeling it, move on. Focusing on the behavior of others will just make you bitter.

Search this website for answers to your questions about God and the Bible.

https://www.gotquestions.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 07:08 AM
 
10,534 posts, read 2,692,185 times
Reputation: 7154
I agree with the OP, if Jesus himself descended into Times Square on New Years eve, surrounded by angels and trumpets blasting, majority of people would not believe it was real, they would say it was a hoax or drugs in the water, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 AM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 22 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,775 posts, read 13,404,281 times
Reputation: 11668
What kind of "teacher" is telling you to try church? Are you a student? What denomination does your teacher belong to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top