U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:07 PM

960 posts, read 631,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Note:Posted before i was done...title should get fixed by our great unpaid Mods! Wish we could fix our own Subjects when our fingers mistype

Watching new TV "God Friended Me", CBS..since I was 19...when an 80 yr old famous artist I was introduced to
complained to me, during our visit over tea, about God and how HE let a 5 yr old
be sick or something...
I have wondered WHY do people blame God for these things and THEN lose all or any faith
they may have had...
built on concepts of what they expected from this image of God*?
Then, express anger and sometimes turn to not believing in 'Him', Who has no gender?

My sister is one cuz she and her hubby of 48 yrs were super good people and her hubby
died suddenly of Sepis last yr....she has lost her faith in Him.
But, I'm not allowed to bring it up with her.
So, here I am.

*Or did I just ans my own question...
Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do bad people seem to flourish at times while the good suffer?

It's no wonder that some lose faith because religious leaders themselves dont offer satisfying answers. Saying its part of God's mysterious plan doesn't help:

https://www.theage.com.au/world/pope...29-ge2eth.html

God is blamed for tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, wars, famines, floods, sickness. Yet we thank him for the bounty of crops, natural wonders, our wonderfully made bodies. if God is love he wouldn't promote both good and bad at the same time. It's a contradiction.

Some people will leave it at that. A contradiction. When tragedy strikes, faith built on a weak foundation will fail. Without knowledge they don't have much to sustain them through the challenge. Others will be more prepared and they'll know not to blame God.The death of a loved one or a catastrophic illness will not be part of God's "mysterious plan." They'll have a sure hope that his plan is to resurrect the dead and make all things new.

God's Word is mocked but it really does provide answers where religious leaders fail:

Sometimes we are in the wrong place at the wrong time. An earthquake happens, tsunami,etc and as a consequence people die.

Ecclesiastes 9:11, "... time and unexpected events overtake them all."

Many of the world's struggles stem from envy and greed.

Ecclesiastes 8:9, "...man dominates man to his own injury."

1 John 3:10-12

God does have a plan but it's no mystery:

Revelation 21:4, "‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 08:45 AM

12,887 posts, read 15,466,599 times
Quote:
My take: The Creator is like a Landlord, ha...you rent a place, sure he owns it...but he is not allowed to just drop by..or walk around and do any work there... I used to rent so I know this...he can only come over if you ask him.
It may sound silly, but its all I got!

Personanlly , I believe..."Seeing is believing".
p
yes...seeing is believing.

If there is a Creator, he couldn't be "like a landlord", because we humans on earth can't put rules and regulations that HE must follow....no one can tell Him what He's "allowed" to do or not do.

In the hopes of having some belief I have asked HIM repeatedly to "come over"...to show me that He's not just a myth....so far...nothing...

Old 10-15-2018, 09:36 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,081,007 times
I would think when believers always see all this scripture stating if you are Gods child, you will be blessed beyond your imagination, a child of God is supposed will be blessed and all that stuff you see pushed by prosperity Gospels or in general reading scriptures on how following God will bless you.

The the Examples you hear and see in real life:

-You have the most devout believers who cant have children or it takes them 10-15 yrs to have 1, while their unbelieving friends sneeze and have them left and right, or some of the worst people who dont want kids and wont take care of the ones they have, some how end up with 5+ kids.
-A church bus can be coming back from a trip and a drunk driver hits that church bus head on vs hitting any other car on the road, or simply just driving off in a ditch and somehow the drunk driver survives.

-Mass shooter walks in a church and starts gunning people down.
-A healthy person gets cancer at 40-50 and their unhealthy friend/relative smokes and lives to be 90-100yrs old

When I see these examples, I can see why some people might have questions, as it seems being a believer doesn't equal the benefits you see in scriptures of God blessing you and protecting his own. Still cant see why it would cause some to walk away all together though, unless they just had salvation as a Get Out Of Hell Card.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:20 PM

15,517 posts, read 12,198,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
yes...seeing is believing.

If there is a Creator, he couldn't be "like a landlord", because we humans on earth can't put rules and regulations that HE must follow....no one can tell Him what He's "allowed" to do or not do.

In the hopes of having some belief I have asked HIM repeatedly to "come over"...to show me that He's not just a myth....so far...nothing...
It is just the law...a landlord cant just go onto your property without hm
nforming you..you dont tell the landlord the rules it's in his lease to you...the lease he wrote up, btw.

There is a story, Mr. Human A mother is busy and her little boy cries...she stops washing dishes and gives him a toy and he stops.
Soon he cries again and she gives him a cookie and he stops..this goes on...until nothing will satisfy him...
she sees the only thing he wants is her. Now she stops.

It is exactly the same with this Creator/ God.
Persistence counts big time....and so does preparing a place for Him...if you want to have someone be your guest,
you prepare a place that is inviting...I can tell you what He likes...He loves stillness...wait.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 AM

No He doesn't.....I live with a LOT of stillness....quietness, and peace.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
No He doesn't.....I live with a LOT of stillness....quietness, and peace.
You mean, No, He hasn't yet to you.
I am not here to convince you, unless you want me to... if that is your attitude or belief.." No, He doesn't"....then you are correct...nothing will come about.

If anyone reading this would like help or guidance in how to feel, experience a 'God exp'....I can certainly help.
You have to make the effort, tho.
There is asking, sincerely, waiting, sitting with a still mind...steadfastness, eagerness and expectation like a child,
A belief that He will come in some way, (doubt and forget about it), openness, acceptance and allowing an experience to happen.
All of these things are key.
I already talked a little about preparing a place.

Could you play the Lottery each week for 5 years for 2 million? Or quit? Give up?

This is personal...but God Himself doesn't reveal Himself to me inside sometimes til I have sat in medtation for 3 hours.
That may seem a long time...I sit much longer...is that something you could do?
Sit and reach a point of a stillness almost unimagineable, your breath so slow you almost aren't breathing?

Oh, He comes, up close and personal, alright...but there is a Formula.
( Unless you are showered suddenly by Grace....sigh....those times are quite life changing!)

And I still believe in the premise that seeing is believing...hahaha, it helps to be looking.
Each person can be as close to 'this God' as they want to.
It depends on how much time they want to put into it.

A hint: Purity of heart and mind...and an empty cup knowing it can be filled....and waiting.
That's like giving you a summary you can refer to.

And don't listen to anyone unless they can say, I have seen God...He visits me... this is what I did.
Speculation and reciting platitudes doesn't cut it.

Will this post irritate some people, of course it will.
Some may have things they can add...welcome them.
( But, no drugs...lol)

Old 10-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
A belief that He will come in some way, (doubt and forget about it), openness, acceptance and allowing an experience to happen.

Oh, He comes, up close and personal, alright...but there is a Formula.

Each person can be as close to 'this God' as they want to.
It depends on how much time they want to put into it.

A hint: Purity of heart and mind...and an empty cup knowing it can be filled....and waiting.
That's like giving you a summary you can refer to.

Yeh...I get it...."a belief that He will come in some way"....so basically if you don't believe first, (too bad if you can't, too bad if there's no proof)...you're out of luck....nothings changed.
It all boils down to blind trust and faith...once again.

How could I possibly be of pure heart and mind when I don't believe....[not]

.THAT blind belief is the real "key" obviously.
I am a very solitary person most hours...I walk through old forests with my entourage of animals following....I sit and meditate surrounded by my furry friends...I am at peace with the nature around me....yet nothing I've done can satisfy a God/Goddess enough for them to give me reason to believe they are real.

I'm glad though that you are happy with your beliefs.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yeh...I get it...."a belief that He will come in some way"....so basically if you don't believe first, (too bad if you can't, too bad if there's no proof)...you're out of luck....nothings changed.
It all boils down to blind trust and faith...once again.

How could I possibly be of pure heart and mind when I don't believe....[not]

.THAT blind belief is the real "key" obviously.
I am a very solitary person most hours...I walk through old forests with my entourage of animals following....I sit and meditate surrounded by my furry friends...I am at peace with the nature around me....yet nothing I've done can satisfy a God/Goddess enough for them to give me reason to believe they are real.

I'm glad though that you are happy with your beliefs.
They aren't beliefs, tho.
I know that the chair I will sit down on will hold me because I have looked at the chair....I don't believe it will...to explain...
blind faith in the chair and belief compared to knowing from experience and checkimg something out previously are diff from.

I do sit in many chairs however with blind faith. Ha, we all do...and sometimes we get a surprise!

Anyone can muster up the faith as little as a teeny mustard seed, just because logically...we couldn't possibly know everything, right?
So, "maybe" what many people have said "could" have some truth to it. So what that nothing you have done "so far" has not met the right conditions to receive some exp of this God.
God is like a women you are trying to court...get used to it. Hope springs eternal for them, right? They can
be worth the wait and the hunt and cleaning up your house and cooking dinner for.

Push doubt aside for a bit, focus on the 'slim possibility' that if you were to sit in complete stillness...pets content
in another room,
that like soil you are preparing to receive a seed. That's 'pure' enough....temporarily pushing doubt aside.

Sure, it could be subtle at first...but do this regularly, (suspending doubt for awhile) and meditating and that subtle teeny seed of some lovely experience can grow.
It's a start...to greater things....it is shocking to me how a small apple seed holds the invisible power of a tree AND then
a 100 apples year after year.

Babysteps at first, purehuman....babies don't give up...they keep perfecting being able to stand up, even...why?
Because they see that others are doing it and they desire it..they want to.

Desire for this mystical, unseen "thing" is important.
If you really don't want what many have spoken of...well, then...that's another story...and nothing I will say will change that.

Be happy and content without this exp of some all pervading, loving, blissful "invisible thing".
Who says you need to exp "It'' ?

Not me. If ur fine, I'm fine, too.
I'll move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or