Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 393 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a query for Christians.

My friend who is a Christian has NO desire to look for work; he finds it boring, and would much rather play video games all day and do anything but consider working.

His sisters are running the house after his mother went into a mental hospital for six months. She's back and beginning to re-settle, but neither sister or mother encourage him to look for work. Right now, I feel like I'm the only one who will say anything, but even then I can't get through to him. He says his mother needs him, which is completely untrue since one sister works only two days, so there's plenty of time to look for work.

He says there's no chance since everyone wants someone with experience in a job, so I've pointed him in the direction of volunteering. He shrugs it off.

I want to throw Bible verses at him if I'm absolutely honest - I want to point the finger and tell him if he's a real believer, he'd go out to look for work just as the Bible says. The thing stopping me is I don't want to sound condemning. I shouldn't point the finger; I know I should put in more effort then I have. I just don't know how.

I know about ex-communication, at least I am aware of the verse that tells of it. Is this something I could warn him of? I have a small job and seeking to volunteer, but I do get worried that his lazy attitude might wear off on me. Except if I do that, I'd feel awful.

I'm considering sitting down with him away from the games and the computer and just talking. But where would I begin without sounding condemning?

Any help is appreciated greatly.

P.S Apologies for the title being "Christ" I forgot to change that, and don't know how to edit the title.

Last edited by peterhill160; 10-05-2018 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 05:40 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhill160 View Post
Hello,

My friend who is a Christian has NO desire to look for work; he finds it boring, and would much rather play video games all day and do anything but consider working.

His sisters are running the house after his mother went into a mental hospital for six months. She's back and beginning to re-settle, but neither sister or mother encourage him to look for work. Right now, I feel like I'm the only one who will say anything, but even then I can't get through to him. He says his mother needs him, which is completely untrue since one sister works only two days, so there's plenty of time to look for work.

He says there's no chance since everyone wants someone with experience in a job, so I've pointed him in the direction of volunteering. He shrugs it off.

I want to throw Bible verses at him if I'm absolutely honest - I want to point the finger and tell him if he's a real believer, he'd go out to look for work just as the Bible says. The thing stopping me is I don't want to sound condemning. I shouldn't point the finger; I know I should put in more effort then I have. I just don't know how.

I know about ex-communication, at least I am aware of the verse that tells of it. Is this something I could warn him of? I have a small job and seeking to volunteer, but I do get worried that his lazy attitude might wear off on me. Except if I do that, I'd feel awful.

I'm considering sitting down with him away from the games and the computer, and just talking. But where would I begin?

It begins with prayer.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,242,854 times
Hi peterhill160, Christ is the correct title. you say he's a Christian for how long?. second, before I answer, it's your friend, but may I ask, where is the man or the husband of the house?.

PICYJAG.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:16 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Changed the thread title.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Hello,

I'm considering sitting down with him away from the games and the computer and just talking. But where would I begin without sounding condemning?

P.S Apologies for the title being "Christ" I forgot to change that, and don't know how to edit the title.
How have you considered helping your mentally deficient phisacally inept friend find a job?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
How have you considered helping your mentally deficient phisacally inept friend find a job?
Are those the new PC terms for "lazy?"

Old 10-05-2018, 09:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Hello,

Consider minding your own business.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:24 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
What does this have to do with Christianity?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What does this have to do with Christianity?
Beat me to it.

The OP's friend is a lazy guy who plays video games. Those things have nothing to do with his religion.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:52 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Are those the new PC terms for "lazy?"
What?

I think you've completely disregarded what I've shared as testimony.
My friends Ben, and peace are disabled and have now been accomudated with work. Regardless of your opinion of their status I love them very much. Ben has gone on to work at chichfilla. And peace had an interview with Panera.
After working with her at the church I mentioned she could easily work for a library. Peace has mild autism and yet is so sharp with memory.

My little brother Ben has physical issues that stunted his mental capacity. After a few surgeries he has improved.
Which reminds me. I need to go visit him at work.
I miss his laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity