Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 10:53 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So you were saved by listening to someone who had read scripture or heard from someone who had.
How about all those first century Christians that didn't have a Bible? Were they not saved?

If they were, it is solid evidence that the Bible is not necessary for salvation.

As I previously pointed out, Paul appears to agree:
Quote:
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Romans 1:20
Or do they have your excuse that they had no Bible and therefore could not be saved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Of course they had scriptures. They were grafted into the Jews, which is why they were given 4 things in the law to obey immediately and which means they attended synagogues right along with the ones to whom the scriptures were entrusted to be preserved, and right along with the thousands of Jews who believed in Acts and were said to be even MORE zealous of the law even after believing in Him. Blessings....
Not even the Jewish Torah was evidence of Jesus until AFTER the publication of the gospels. It was at least 20-30 years before even the letters of Paul began to circulate. Jesus was not the subject of the OT. Ask Richard1965 who is a Jew.

Even my daughter-in-law, who is Jewish, agrees that Jesus was never EVER the subject of the Jewish Torah. It was Christians who reinterpreted Scripture to put Jesus into the OT--and that was after the resurrection and principally by Matthew.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 10-24-2018 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
To you who brag of being a Pharisee like Paul---read what Paul wrote about BEING a Pharisee:

Quote:
If anyone else thinks he has grounds for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin; a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, persecuting the church; as to righteousness under the Law, faultless; circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin. But whatever was an asset to me I count as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things as loss compared to the surpassing excellence of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ---
Philippians 4b-8

You brag about something Paul determined was rubbish.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:50 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
How about all those first century Christians that didn't have a Bible? Were they not saved?

If they were, it is solid evidence that the Bible is not necessary for salvation.

As I previously pointed out, Paul appears to agree:
Romans 1:20
Or do they have your excuse that they had no Bible and therefore could not be saved?
The first century Christians were saved by the message of Christ, given to them by the apostles teaching or someone who had heard them.

Yes, we can know God by observation of the universe, but we cannot know specifically about Jesus and His mission without the Bible or someone who has read it.

*What translation are you using for Rom. 1 above cause that one is barely the same message as the NASB/NIV/NKJV?

Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Not even the Jewish Torah was evidence of Jesus until AFTER the publication of the gospels. It was at least 20-30 years before even the letters of Paul began to circulate. Jesus was not the subject of the OT. Ask Richard1965 who is a Jew.

Even my daughter-in-law, who is Jewish, agrees that Jesus was never EVER the subject of the Jewish Torah. It was Christians who reinterpreted Scripture to put Jesus into the OT--and that was after the resurrection and principally by Matthew.
So this is false?

Luke 24

25 And He (Jesus) said to them, “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?” 27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:30 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
The first century Christians were saved by the message of Christ, given to them by the apostles teaching or someone who had heard them.

Yes, we can know God by observation of the universe, but we cannot know specifically about Jesus and His mission without the Bible or someone who has read it.

*What translation are you using for Rom. 1 above cause that one is barely the same message as the NASB/NIV/NKJV?
How do you know that his translation isn’t in fact the correct one?...

Old 10-25-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:

I used the Living Bible, I think. I have numerous bible translations because every single one of them has problems. Generally, I think the NRSV is better.

Read Acts, the first four chapters. There was an excitement among the 500 or so who had seen Jesus after the resurrection. It was all they could talk about. Why did Luke write his gospel----about which he had no idea that it would 300 years later be called Scripture? Why did John write his?

Both writers indicate that others were giving accounts of Jesus as well. By the time of John's writing there may have been one of Paul's letters with one group, or a partial copy of Mark with another. But it was the witnessing about Jesus that converted people, not the reading of Scripture.

In Acts 4 Peter and John are warned by the Saduccees to shut up. But what do they say?
Quote:
18 Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! 20 As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”

Old 10-25-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I used the Living Bible, I think. I have numerous bible translations because every single one of them has problems. Generally, I think the NRSV is better.

Read Acts, the first four chapters. There was an excitement among the 500 or so who had seen Jesus after the resurrection. It was all they could talk about. Why did Luke write his gospel----about which he had no idea that it would 300 years later be called Scripture? Why did John write his?

Both writers indicate that others were giving accounts of Jesus as well. By the time of John's writing there may have been one of Paul's letters with one group, or a partial copy of Mark with another. But it was the witnessing about Jesus that converted people, not the reading of Scripture.

In Acts 4 Peter and John are warned by the Saduccees to shut up. But what do they say?

[/b]
And those people are no longer with us, so we rely on their writings for the specifics about Jesus.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:30 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
And those people are no longer with us, so we rely on their writings for the specifics about Jesus.
Shame Jesus couldn't do that himself. I will say it again, bible fundamementalists when they say they have a relationship with Jesus, what they really mean is a relationship with the bible.

Know you not that Jesus Christ(The Living Word of God) is in you?.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
So god is incapable of telling each of us the TRUTH?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity