Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Try to understand that Paul knew that following Christ was NOT about religion, he was not telling the Jews that they should not observe their religious practices, he was telling the gentile followers they did not HAVE to in order to follow Christ. If a Jew realized that what he got out of his religion what he put into it, fine. "To the Jew, I became as a Jew" only means that he expressed the simple message of Christ from the standpoint of a religious Jew in order to have him see what was REALLY important in relationship with God and man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 11:45 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Try to understand that Paul knew that following Christ was NOT about religion, he was not telling the Jews that they should not observe their religious practices, he was telling the gentile followers they did not HAVE to in order to follow Christ. If a Jew realized that what he got out of his religion what he put into it, fine. "To the Jew I became as a Jew" only means that he expressed the simple message of Christ from the standpoint of a religious Jew in order to have him see what was REALLY important in relationship with God and man.
What I do appreciate about Hanni’s biblical studies is that he does relate it all to a personal journey rather than to separating people into groups of “saved” and “damned”.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What I do appreciate about Hanni’s biblical studies is that he does relate it all to a personal journey rather than to separating people into groups of “saved” and “damned”.
But we cannot always equate things to one religious group as being the end all of everything. To me, God did not create religion, it's about accepting and loving others for who they are, as long as they are not injurious or harmful to others. Diversity should help us to enjoy and love the differences in people.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But we cannot always equate things to one religious group as being the end all of everything. To me, God did not create religion, it's about accepting and loving others for who they are, as long as they are not injurious or harmful to others. Diversity should help us to enjoy and love the differences in people.
I agree, of course. There's a whole lot that Hanni and I are at odds about when it comes to religion, but he's got a good and kind heart and doesn't have the desire to injure anyone. He's explained before in some of his posts that he suffers from some physical brain "imbalances" (paraphrasing here because I don't remember precisely what he's dealing with) and that studying the feasts and such, and then also writing about it, helps him keep on a more even keel, so I try not to argue that with him too much anymore. I don't think he minds the arguing, of course, so I'm not telling anyone else not to. I'm just saying that I do appreciate Hanni for his heart.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
I agree, of course. There's a whole lot that Hanni and I are at odds about when it comes to religion, but he's got a good and kind heart and doesn't have the desire to injure anyone. He's explained before in some of his posts that he suffers from some physical brain "imbalances" (paraphrasing here because I don't remember precisely what he's dealing with) and that studying the feasts and such, and then also writing about it, helps him keep on a more even keel, so I try not to argue that with him too much anymore. I don't think he minds the arguing, of course, so I'm not telling anyone else not to. I'm just saying that I do appreciate Hanni for his heart.
And I would concur, it's the heart that should be our focus.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:26 PM

23,156 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Sweet.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:56 PM

23,156 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
I take nate very seriously, based on the wisdom of his many posts over the years I’ve “known” him.

And I don’t think nate has ever claimed to “follow” Paul.
You caught that huh? I deleted right after but it don't matter..

Nate is cool, but he picks and chooses the words of Paul to even contradict the words of Jesus. Anyone reading Act 21 should admit what they are reading, unfortunately, people begin with the assumption that Christianity was not a sect of Judaism. Christians can debate why Gentiles left Judaism after Paul died(for good reasons), but they can't change the fact of what was. Paul proved he never left Judaism. Liars were telling lies against Paul just as it was done with Stephen, and Paul had to prove these lies and rumors to be lies under threat of death....

People claiming that Paul was teaching Jews not to keep the laws of Moses, and they were telling lies that Paul had left Judaism when Paul never left Judaism, neither did those thousands of thousands of Jewish believers, they became even more zealous to keep the law in Acts 21, and we can show Paul and all the disciples walking in Judaism.

This modern form of Christianity did not exist until 100 years after Jesus died.

Christians didn't separate from Jews in Judaism till the great synagogue was burned and blamed on Gentile converts around 125 A.D.

Pretending Christianity wasn't in Judaism renders the reader helpless to understand the New Testament.......

Old 10-30-2018, 04:48 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
And I would concur, it's the heart that should be our focus.
If one's ' heart ' should be our focus then I wonder why Jeremiah 17:9 wrote the heart is treacherous.
Any thoughts about Matthew 15:19 ______

Our heart is treacherous because it can act like a 'traito'r within us.
The heart urges us to do something, then after we have done it, the heart gives us all the reasons why we should Not have done what we just did in the first place.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:00 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If one's ' heart ' should be our focus then I wonder why Jeremiah 17:9 wrote the heart is treacherous.
Any thoughts about Matthew 15:19 ______

Our heart is treacherous because it can act like a 'traito'r within us.
The heart urges us to do something, then after we have done it, the heart gives us all the reasons why we should Not have done what we just did in the first place.
As a man thinks in his heart so is he.

Because that is how he saw himself
(how you see yourself you tend to see the world that is seemingly outside of you). He said it not God. God said his word is in our heart, so how can it be treacherous?.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:02 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
How about all those first century Christians that didn't have a Bible? Were they not saved?
If they were, it is solid evidence that the Bible is not necessary for salvation.
As I previously pointed out, Paul appears to agree:
Romans 1:20
Or do they have your excuse that they had no Bible and therefore could not be saved?
The 1st-century Christians 'did have' the old Hebrew Scriptures read at the synagogues.
Jesus explained or tied the old in with the new for them and us.

Those who died before Jesus are ' saved ' from death via resurrection, then those who never had the opportunity to hear or learn about Jesus will have that opportunity to gain ' everlasting life on Earth ' after they are resurrected during Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth begins.- Rev. 1:18

Because Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is proclaimed on an international scale today, people are told they have the choice found at 2nd Peter 3:9 to ' repent ' if they do not wish to ' perish ' ( be destroyed ).
So, living people on Earth at the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 have the opportunity to now choose to be a figurative humble ' sheep ' or be a haughty ' goat '.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity