U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 09:34 AM

277 posts, read 98,565 times

Advertisements

I am Catholic and I am going to read the 66 book Protestant Bible. As you may or may not know the Catholic Bible has additional books.

I have finished reading the first 10 books but have 56 to go until I finish. The Ethiopian bible is the longest of all bibles. The Ethiopian Orthodox bible has 81 books. Someday, I would like the read the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox bible that 50+ million Christians call their Holy Book.

I have recently read the English Quran completely, all 114 chapters. I also have a Hindu Vedas, the Hindu scripture.

Have any of you read the bible in it's entirety? If you have, what did you take from it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 09:46 AM

5,948 posts, read 1,701,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I am Catholic and I am going to read the 66 book Protestant Bible. As you may or may not know the Catholic Bible has additional books.

I have finished reading the first 10 books but have 56 to go until I finish. The Ethiopian bible is the longest of all bibles. The Ethiopian Orthodox bible has 81 books. Someday, I would like the read the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox bible that 50+ million Christians call their Holy Book.

I have recently read the English Quran completely, all 114 chapters. I also have a Hindu Vedas, the Hindu scripture.

Have any of you read the bible in it's entirety? If you have, what did you take from it?
Yes. It's amazing when you really read through the OT, it tends to open up and help one understand the NT. The NT really does reference the OT a LOT.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 AM

277 posts, read 98,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. It's amazing when you really read through the OT, it tends to open up and help one understand the NT. The NT really does reference the OT a LOT.
I thought it was so cool when Saul summoned Samuel from the grave. Even if your not religious that stuff is great!

Old 10-09-2018, 10:12 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,592,723 times
Quote:

For some the Bible appears fragmented. In order to gather the full picture one must cross-reference with other Biblical literature...including the accepted and non-accepted (canonized) text...i.e. who was Enoch? Melchizedek?...

Old 10-09-2018, 10:52 AM

238 posts, read 88,316 times
Quote:

Using 'scott hahn & jeff cavins Our Father's Plan' as a guide really helped me 'piece it all together' as the beautiful Plan for Salvation that Our Father gives us!

Old 10-09-2018, 11:10 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,907,294 times
Quote:

early n in my ex-fundamentalist life, I read through the bible 3-5 times a year for 7 or 10 years...

It now sits in a closet somewhere in my house. I no longer feel the written word is valid. I have since realized this all important FACT---

Old 10-09-2018, 11:46 AM

15,375 posts, read 12,129,606 times
This is what I got Jan 2006...an ex Catholic with no Bible in my family's home...
Like a dawning, mouth dropping realization given to me....in the middle of the New Testament....

'Why, there's a theme here!" Still makes people laugh when I say that.
But, when you really get it with your mouth dropped it is a 'moment'!
Spoiler
The theme is: Do not worry, Be anxious for nothing, Cast your cares, Give God your burdens, Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart, (but by the time you delight in Him your desire is only for more of Him, of course. Acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will make straight your path, focus on the things above and not the things on the earth, have no doubt, have no fear, and if you must boast boast of this, that you know and understand Him, believe, God has a place for us that love Him beyond the breadth that we could ever imagine, Go to the secret place and Be still...
And I do and I did 99% and by golly...it works.

Scott Haun haven't heard that name in years.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:06 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,142,356 times
I've read the Bible through, twice. I'll keep my comments to myself, since they only really apply to me (no two people need to share the same opinion of it).

That's good to have read the Quran and other significant texts. The more, the better.

I put in a recommendation to read the Tao Te Ching and any Buddhist text. Even the more modern Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is great.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:30 AM

27,960 posts, read 15,050,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Using 'scott hahn & jeff cavins Our Father's Plan' as a guide really helped me 'piece it all together' as the beautiful Plan for Salvation that Our Father gives us!
Or you were taken for a ride...

Old 10-13-2018, 08:52 AM

241 posts, read 49,080 times
i have read the standard bible, but have since been introduced to the apocrypha, a collection that derived from the essenes. to tell you the truth, i do not know what to make of the gospel of thomas. sure, there are other sensational writings( nag hammadi library being forgeries) but the gospel of thomas carbon datings suggest that it derives around the inception of the early christian movement. the jesus seminar, a collection of scholars, layman and theologion, wrote some interesting things not only about the early christianz, but also of the gospel of thomas. as a christian, i dont really think the gospel of thomas is relevent when compared to the canonical gospels.nevertheless, the gospelof thomas was an early written text that was written around the time of the early christian inception
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or