Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:21 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Does the book come in paperback or hardcover? And have you seen it to know, if your name is written in this book?

The Lake of fire does not equate to a place of eternal damnation, torment or punishment which fundamentalist call HELL? That is, and always has been a figment of man's imagination from the day of its conception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do that every day. Don't you?

Ahh, you believe in the Akashic Records. If you must, you must.

On the other hand, jimmie. You toss the lake of fire in with such relish. The whole, she will die a fiery death if she does not go by your book thing, is enjoyable to you and appeals to you.

Every thing is terribly violent.

A man or man/god/spirit, must die screaming in agony on a cross for you to be clean.
You believe I have to be thrown into fire.

That relationship to violence has no place in my relationship with God.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 10-15-2018 at 06:06 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I would rather use a cross without Jesus on it in a church building because crucifixes can be an idol. However I am fine of using one as a decoration. Though i can understand why some churches use a crucifix in their churches which reminds them of Jesus' suffering and death on the cross but at the same time if it is worshipped then it becomes an idol
The crucifix as well as the infant Jesus are icons long established in the Roman Catholic church.

BOTH symbols suggest an impotent helpless god.

A newborn baby can't raise its head and even one several months old cannot yet speak. A baby is helpless to do anything. A dead guy on a stick is equally helpless. (*)

I understand the religious symbolism of the cross and I hold my allegiance to the fact of its redemptive power. It should be remembered, however, that Jesus is alive today. He is not dead. He has risen. Jesus holds ultimate power in His hands.

Death and the grave have no power over Christ or those who have surrendered their lives to Him. THAT is evidence of a supremely powerful and merciful god who is able to grant of His life to those who repent of their sins and accept Him.

Unfortunately the cross has become corrupted by a debauched and spiritually dead church into a meaningless decoration. On mainland Communist China a shopper can buy a cross at shopping center kiosks. What does that say about its influence as a religious symbol? The Communist government wouldn't allow its sale if they thought it had some intrinsic power. Its a simple and attractive decoration to be sure, but a decoration nonetheless.

Does this decoration have meaning for you? You do well if it does. Bear in mind that for the rest of the world it is nothing if not a sad reflection of something with no apparent ability to change lives. The testimony of the saints has greater power to change lives than a bit of jewelry or expensive construction on display in a church.

A religious icon is meant to represent something of power and inspiration. Is anyone moved to repentance for their sins by images of the nativity? Think about it.

It is time to repent of sin, for the Master is nearly at the door.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

(*) Spiritual levels of authority established by the Roman Catholic church in order of importance and power are;
1. The Virgin Mary
2. The Pope
3. Jesus (because He always does what His mother tells Him to do)

Last edited by Choir Loft; 10-15-2018 at 06:30 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
On the other hand, jimmie. You toss the lake of fire in with such relish. The whole, she will die a fiery death if she does not go by your book thing, is enjoyable to you and appeals to you.

Every thing is terribly violent.

A man or man/god/spirit, must die screaming in agony on a cross for you to be clean.
You believe I have to be thrown into fire.

That relationship to violence has no place in my relationship with God.
Jesus’ death and resurrection is the mechanism by which we are redeemed. There is no other way to God.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus’ death and resurrection is the mechanism by which we are redeemed. There is no other way to God.

You'll find out how wrong you are, little jimmiej.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I get along fine without any religious symbols and church buildings. Only man needs that stuff. It's important to separate the chaff from the wheat, or however that saying went. Seek only what matters to God/Jesus. Leave all the unnecessary stuff behind.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:

No jimmie. You need the violence to feel better and clean. I do not.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
No jimmie. You need the violence to feel better and clean. I do not.
If you earnestly seek God, your sins are washed away by the blood of Christ, whether you like it or not.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
If you earnestly seek God, your sins are washed away by the blood of Christ, whether you like it or not.
and then we are free to sin some more?

Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
and then we are free to sin some more?

Which is why fundies are so fond of The Magic Words To Jesus. Just parrot the words and feel free to sin your fool head off - or in other words - be themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity