Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:27 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 02:18 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Jesus rebuked his scripture believing disciples and said that they did not know what Spirit they were of to think calling fire down from heaven was of the Spirit of God.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:58 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus rebuked his scripture believing disciples and said that they did not know what Spirit they were of to think calling fire down from heaven was of the Spirit of God.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:21 PM

15,861 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Not to believe Jimmiej if he tries to tell me God intends to harm me if I don't go along with Jimmiej's beliefs.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Christians, what has the Spirit of God revealed to you that directly conflicts with scripture?
wow that is a hard question. there is one thing he has shown me that it would seem to conflict with one scripture.. but it aligns and reveals about 20-30 scriptures , scriptures no one has ever made real sense of for me.

so then you have to weigh questions like was that general type of statement Jesus made, was it true about the many or was it also truth down to the one?
I know his word is true .. every dot of it. But for some reason that one general type of statement wasn't 1000 % true in every situation. that it was a suggestion and true as a general rule of thumb, but not 100% truth in all situations or for all purposes.
in the same way, thou shalt not kill has been the truth since Cain and Abel....but he asked Abraham to sacrifice his son as a matter of faith.. yet Abraham did not have to sacrifice Isaac. God just needed to know he was willing to give the Lord his most precious gift and most precious possession, the very root and branch of all the promises even God himself made to Abraham. Abraham proved he loved God more than his promises.

so yes there is times He might ask us to dance around just outside of the lines( because all things are lawful but not all things are beneficial) we have a relationship based on first faith then obedience... he has done it for us to and him to just to know we are walking in faith and obedience as Abraham was walking with him and not just to a new set of Christianized laws based on the thousand suggestions to the wise..in his word...

so yes he broke one or two such suggestions/ scripture with me.. and it was him who did that.. just like he did it with Abraham.

especially for baby christians ... they are still the suggestions for the wise and for the faithful!! unless He tells you otherwise and he confirms it a few ways . because even in the old testament and the new he seems to like to break the rules men created from all the suggestions. it is good to always follow his and the suggestions of his people in his word especially until you know you know him and you can like so many including Moses and Abraham and JOb and Jerimiah and most of the rest of the prophets .. who could all argue his own words with him! because that is what you will have to do and chances are slim to none that he asks you to break the suggestions Not until you can argue his words with him..!
so to the OP question Yes.. he has broken his suggestions/ word a few times with me and just like he Broke the Sabbeth by crushing the wheat that day..... I know beyond a doubt it was him . Just as it was HIM who broke their ideas about the Sabbeth... but in doing that, it explained 30 or so verses that no one else has been able to explain to my satisfaction.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 11-06-2018 at 06:17 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 07:27 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You are referring to Luke 9:55-56. However, the older and better Greek manuscripts do not contain the phrase ''You do not know what kind of spirit you are of for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.'' The older and more reliable manuscripts read as follow;
Luke 9:55 But He turned and rebuked them. 56] And they went on to another village.''
For instance, Codex Sinaiticus reads;
55] ϲτραφειϲ δε επετι 56] μηϲεν αυτοιϲ και επορευθηϲαν ειϲ ε τεραν κωμην : κ(αι)

55 But he turned and rebuked them. 56 And they went to another village

Codex Sinaiticus - See The Manuscript | Luke |
Concerning Luke 9:55-56, the note in the NET Bible has the following;
tc Many mss ([D] K Γ Θ ƒ [579] 700 2542 pm it) have at the end of the verse (with slight variations) “and he said, ‘You do not know what sort of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy people’s lives, but to save [them].’” This variant is clearly secondary, as it gives some content to the rebuke. Further, it is difficult to explain how such rich material would have been omitted by the rest of the witnesses, including the earliest and best mss.
sn The point of the rebuke is that now was not the time for judgment but patience; see 2 Pet 3:9.

https://netbible.org/bible/Luke+9
Dr. Walter L. Liefeld comments;
Some ancient texts add ''And He said, 'You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them.' '' The first part of the sentence, up to ''you are of,'' is in the Western text D and a couple of versions. The rest is, with varying details, found in a number of texts generally lacking the stature of those MSS that omit them. Those that lack the questionable reading are P⁴⁵,⁷⁵ א A B C L W, among many others. The longer reading is in the KJV, is bracketed in the NASB, and is placed in a footnote in RSV and NIV. Marshall, after weighing arguments pro and con, including (pro) the appropriateness of the saying to the context and (con) the weak MS evidence and likelihood that a scribe would add words that seemed appropriate, concludes that in view of the ''considerable doubt'' the words should be either omitted or bracketed (Gospel of Luke, p. 408). Metzger (Textual Commentary, p. 148) also considers the claim to genuineness weak.

The Expositor's Bible Commentary, volume 8, p. 934
You are therefore appealing to words that probably are not original to the text. Then wasn't the time for judgment. But judgment will come.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:36 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Not to believe Jimmiej if he tries to tell me God intends to harm me if I don't go along with Jimmiej's beliefs.
I’ve never done that or anything like it. I do not promote my own beliefs, but rather the Bible. I back up my opinions with scripture.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:51 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
I’ve never done that or anything like it. I do not promote my own beliefs, but rather the Bible. I back up my opinions with scripture.
No, you attempt to *justify* your personal opinions by convincing yourself that the Bible means something different than what it says. You have no real desire to understand the Bible.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:55 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No, you attempt to *justify* your personal opinions by convincing yourself that the Bible means something different than what it says. You have no real desire to understand the Bible.
And since I post scripture, the reader can decide if what I say matches the Bible. You, on the other hand, have no idea what you believe.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:59 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
And since I post scripture, the reader can decide if what I say matches the Bible. You, on the other hand, have no idea what you believe.
You don't know what you "believe" either. You can't just start believing something one day that you didn't believe the day before. You claim to believe something that is supposedly described in a book.

If it were true then God wouldn't need to use a book to communicate it to you. You have said many times that your faith consists of things that can only be known from reading the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity