U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Status: "Waving a sign that reads John 3:16" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
16,391 posts, read 8,924,600 times
Reputation: 1667

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You don't know what you "believe" either. You can't just start believing something one day that you didn't believe the day before. You claim to believe something that is supposedly described in a book.

If it were true then God wouldn't need to use a book to communicate it to you. You have said many times that your faith consists of things that can only be known from reading the Bible.
I know exactly what I believe and have remained steadfast in my convictions since I was a teen. My beliefs can be summed up in John 3:16.

I said, we can know God by observation, but we cannot know specifics about Jesus without scripture.

At least we agree you are clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 AM
 
Location: New England
32,302 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Reputation: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I know exactly what I believe and have remained steadfast in my convictions since I was a teen. My beliefs can be summed up in John 3:16.

I said, we can know God by observation, but we cannot know specifics about Jesus without scripture.

At least we agree you are clueless.
That is very sad, what you are saying is you heard and got every thing you read and heard right and have never been wrong on anything concerning the scriptures and how you see things. Don't worry, you are not alone, most bible evangelical fundamentalists believe the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 03:59 AM
 
Location: New England
32,302 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Reputation: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
. My beliefs can be summed up in John 3:16.
.
How ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 04:09 AM
 
Location: New England
32,302 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Reputation: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You are referring to Luke 9:55-56. However, the older and better Greek manuscripts do not contain the phrase ''You do not know what kind of spirit you are of for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.'' The older and more reliable manuscripts read as follow;
Luke 9:55 But He turned and rebuked them. 56] And they went on to another village.''
For instance, Codex Sinaiticus reads;
55] ϲτραφειϲ δε επετι 56] μηϲεν αυτοιϲ και επορευθηϲαν ειϲ ε τεραν κωμην : κ(αι)

55 But he turned and rebuked them. 56 And they went to another village

Codex Sinaiticus - See The Manuscript | Luke |
Concerning Luke 9:55-56, the note in the NET Bible has the following;
tc Many mss ([D] K Γ Θ ƒ [579] 700 2542 pm it) have at the end of the verse (with slight variations) “and he said, ‘You do not know what sort of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy people’s lives, but to save [them].’” This variant is clearly secondary, as it gives some content to the rebuke. Further, it is difficult to explain how such rich material would have been omitted by the rest of the witnesses, including the earliest and best mss.
sn The point of the rebuke is that now was not the time for judgment but patience; see 2 Pet 3:9.

https://netbible.org/bible/Luke+9
Dr. Walter L. Liefeld comments;
Some ancient texts add ''And He said, 'You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them.' '' The first part of the sentence, up to ''you are of,'' is in the Western text D and a couple of versions. The rest is, with varying details, found in a number of texts generally lacking the stature of those MSS that omit them. Those that lack the questionable reading are P⁴⁵,⁷⁵ א A B C L W, among many others. The longer reading is in the KJV, is bracketed in the NASB, and is placed in a footnote in RSV and NIV. Marshall, after weighing arguments pro and con, including (pro) the appropriateness of the saying to the context and (con) the weak MS evidence and likelihood that a scribe would add words that seemed appropriate, concludes that in view of the ''considerable doubt'' the words should be either omitted or bracketed (Gospel of Luke, p. 408). Metzger (Textual Commentary, p. 148) also considers the claim to genuineness weak.

The Expositor's Bible Commentary, volume 8, p. 934
You are therefore appealing to words that probably are not original to the text. Then wasn't the time for judgment. But judgment will come.
You will never convince me of that. Jesus Christ came and corrected all the misconcepts we have had of God our Heavenly Father, he was and is the exact representation of all that God is, anything in the past needs to be held up against him and everything in the future too . What Jesus said to the sons of thunder makes perfectly good sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 04:35 AM
 
Location: New England
32,302 posts, read 21,155,366 times
Reputation: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

I said, we can know God by observation, but we cannot know specifics about Jesus without scripture.
Jesus came to reveal the truth about the Father(Not the scriptures, a gentile would never have said prove it by the scriptures that you are the one it testifies of) and our relationship to the Father. Your bible clearly tells us this, but you reject this concept in favor of the bible is our link to God and our beliefs about the bible are what our "beliefs are built on, it should not be, it should be on the one it testifies of is.
Christianity as we know it is built on the beliefs about the bible, when it should be built upon the revelation of the one it testifies of, and the one it testifies of, has the one goal and that is to make known the Father to us. John 17 verifies this, anyone with an ounce of spiritual sense can clearly see from reading that, that it is Jesus Christ the exact representation of all that God is, is the revealer of our Father. It is our Heavenly Father who all desire to know, and when Phillip asked him Show us the Father, Jesus basically said to him all that you see is the Father.

Paul said, that God our Father is that close that we could feel after him, well, how close is close?. The truth is, it is easier to reach for the bible than to reach out and feel after him. Of cause you and all fundamentalists will take this as myself dismissing the scriptures, not at all, i am educating you in what they tell you who we look to for our heart's desire in knowing the Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 04:43 AM
 
3,708 posts, read 1,149,394 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My beliefs can be summed up in John 3:16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How ?.
How jimmiej?

Jimmiej has me on ignor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 05:03 AM
 
10,626 posts, read 12,774,661 times
Reputation: 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I know exactly what I believe and have remained steadfast in my convictions since I was a teen. My beliefs can be summed up in John 3:16.

I said, we can know God by observation, but we cannot know specifics about Jesus without scripture.

At least we agree you are clueless.
We can both agree that since you cannot accept what God has done, you need a book written by man to tell you something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 07:26 AM
 
1,611 posts, read 692,238 times
Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Christians, what has the Spirit of God revealed to you that directly conflicts with scripture?
That blood sacrifice is demonic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,505 posts, read 12,190,741 times
Reputation: 16677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
That blood sacrifice is demonic.
I forgot that one! Me too!
Well, for me, just that it is one crazy belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 07:40 AM
Status: "be angry and sin not!" (set 13 days ago)
 
4,697 posts, read 1,227,267 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
That blood sacrifice is demonic.
no one will think that when he resurrects us because he overcame death with the keys the father gave him because he walked righteously, and feared God more than men!

He is a man like us ! But he overcame the big one death! the goliath of goliaths..

Come drink from the 'River of life' , let it heal your souls..
ps it is his River now too, to give to you because the Father gave him the keys to it . Because He was Faithful to overcome death.... if you ask for it or know you are in need of it, the water of life can be yours too , because He CAN NOW offer it to us, because He was faithful!

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 11-07-2018 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top