U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,152,379 times
Reputation: 7505

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure the Bible never says "God is love". People say that, but that's not equivalent. People allege all sorts of things that aren't in the Bible. Unless you can point to it as a specific scripture, there's no proof of such statement.

God is obviously revealed in two very different ways between the Old Testament and New Testament. The Old shows the forceful side, heavily steeped in rules and obedience. It's heavily male in tone. The New Testament shows God in the form of Jesus, the ultimate symbol of love and acceptance. You might even say it's a bit female in tone and approach. Maybe those two sides (ying and yang?) speak much about not only God, but the totality of nature and the universe (positive and negative ions, etc.)

It's interesting that the Bible ends with Jesus and love. In the unfolding of time and revelation, we end on a positive and encouraging note. Yeah, if we just stopped with the Old Testament, that would be a different matter, but that's not the case.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-12-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:13 PM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,181,103 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Bible never says "God is love". People can and should correct me though.
Oh, you really didn’t know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau
God is obviously revealed in two very different ways between the Old Testament and New Testament. The Old shows the forceful side, heavily steeped in rules and obedience. It's heavily male in tone. The New Testament shows God in the form of Jesus, the ultimate symbol of love and acceptance. You might even say it's a bit female in tone and approach.

It's interesting that the Bible ends with Jesus and love. In the unfolding of time and revelation, we end on a positive and encouraging note.
Looking at it as progressive revelation is one way to go. I would say, however, it’s more of a progression in ability to understand. In other words, many people start out with a view of themselves and the world that doesn’t allow them to see God as love, so they misunderstand what revelation they do receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:18 PM
 
8,671 posts, read 3,111,043 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8
Dear friends, don’t trust every spirit. On the contrary, test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 Here is how you recognize the Spirit of God: every spirit which acknowledges that Yeshua the Messiah came as a human being is from God, 3 and every spirit which does not acknowledge Yeshua is not from God — in fact, this is the spirit of the Anti-Messiah. You have heard that he is coming. Well, he’s here now, in the world already!

4 You, children, are from God and have overcome the false prophets, because he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are from the world; therefore, they speak from the world’s viewpoint; and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God doesn’t listen to us. This is how we distinguish the Spirit of truth from the spirit of error.

7 Beloved friends, let us love one another; because love is from God; and everyone who loves has God as his Father and knows God. 8 Those who do not love, do not know God; because God is love.

9 Here is how God showed his love among us: God sent his only Son into the world, so that through him we might have life. 10 Here is what love is: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the kapparah for our sins.

11 Beloved friends, if this is how God loved us, we likewise ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God remains united with us, and our love for him has been brought to its goal in us. 13 Here is how we know that we remain united with him and he with us: he has given to us from his own Spirit. 14 Moreover, we have seen and we testify that the Father has sent his Son as Deliverer of the world.

15 If someone acknowledges that Yeshua is the Son of God, God remains united with him, and he with God. 16 Also we have come to know and trust the love that God has for us. God is love; and those who remain in this love remain united with God, and God remains united with them.



Like I said,
I Dont recall being baptized in the name of love.
Nor do i recall The Lord ever sealing a believer with the love of darkness!

Last edited by pinacled; 10-12-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,144 posts, read 34,386,217 times
Reputation: 10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What scripture says "God is love"?
God is love, but it is being turned into "love is god".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Status: "Waving a sign that reads John 3:16" (set 5 hours ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
16,378 posts, read 8,912,733 times
Reputation: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. And that's where the disconnect between fundamentalist Christians and other Christians comes in and why we cannot accept that the Bible is literally God's words. It just cannot be.
To come to that conclusion, you must reject even the words of Christ, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,209 posts, read 54,662,203 times
Reputation: 66697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Oh, you really didnít know.

Looking at it as progressive revelation is one way to go. I would say, however, itís more of a progression in ability to understand. In other words, many people start out with a view of themselves and the world that doesnít allow them to see God as love, so they misunderstand what revelation they do receive.
I think that's well said. Contrary to what some people like to say, NF Christians aren't dismissing the Bible. We just understand it as the attempt of men to understand God and that this understanding takes place in the experience and culture in which they lived.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,144 posts, read 34,386,217 times
Reputation: 10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What scripture says "God is love"?
God is love, but it is being turned into "love is god".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Status: "Waving a sign that reads John 3:16" (set 5 hours ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
16,378 posts, read 8,912,733 times
Reputation: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that's well said. Contrary to what some people like to say, NF Christians aren't dismissing the Bible. We just understand it as the attempt of men to understand God and that this understanding takes place in the experience and culture in which they lived.
The writers claim differently, that they were moved by the Spirit to make such utterances. Arenít you dismissing that claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 PM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,181,103 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that's well said. Contrary to what some people like to say, NF Christians aren't dismissing the Bible. We just understand it as the attempt of men to understand God and that this understanding takes place in the experience and culture in which they lived.
Thatís also true of me even though I am no longer Christian. (Although, me saying that I agree with you may cause some people to accuse you of consorting with sinners. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,209 posts, read 54,662,203 times
Reputation: 66697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To come to that conclusion, you must reject even the words of Christ, no?
No. Why do you say that?

I suspect you are again demonstrating the danger of the black/white, good/evil, either/or way of thinking. To say that the Bible is not the actual word of God does not mean that we are rejecting it. Do you truly still not understand that?

Think about it. I've said this time and again: My church reads more scripture during its services than any other I've ever attended in my life. How can you then claim we reject it? We seek to find what we can learn from it, but it's a deeper study than just taking the words at face value. What was the context in what was written? Who wrote it or said it? Why? And most importantly--how can we apply that to the way we live our lives, particularly the way we treat others?
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top