U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2018, 07:13 AM
 
10,597 posts, read 2,705,869 times
Reputation: 7191

Advertisements

Ive wondered about this lately, it was sort of mentioned in another thread and got me thinking, Jesus had no problems showing his abilities to the apostles during his time on the earth, they doubted him over and over again, yet Jesus kept doing miracles and supernatural acts for them.

If faith alone was not good enough for the people who lived and walked with Jesus, why in the world should people living 2000 yrs later, be expected to rely so much on faith? Why doesnt Jesus show off his abilities for people today? I realize some would still not believe in him, but SOME would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,379 posts, read 12,133,948 times
Reputation: 16624
Valid question...I'm thinking many Christians will bring up the Holy Spirit.
Its a whole other ballgame when instilled with the Holy Spirit...not a complete turn around,
but there is a boost inside, for sure.
Faith with no Baptism in the Holy Spirit is
still extremely powerful.

Again, i don't promote blind faith...i don"t want to put it down...but, once you use your faith
to heal a couple people...its not really faith anymore...you have had a direct demonstration
of what it can do...
so now you 'know', for yourself, the power that is inside us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 08:02 AM
 
5,963 posts, read 1,702,308 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive wondered about this lately, it was sort of mentioned in another thread and got me thinking, Jesus had no problems showing his abilities to the apostles during his time on the earth, they doubted him over and over again, yet Jesus kept doing miracles and supernatural acts for them.

If faith alone was not good enough for the people who lived and walked with Jesus, why in the world should people living 2000 yrs later, be expected to rely so much on faith? Why doesnt Jesus show off his abilities for people today? I realize some would still not believe in him, but SOME would.
The apostles didn't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 AM
 
Location: US
27,970 posts, read 15,053,894 times
Reputation: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The apostles didn't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We do.
Where did Jesus tell the apostles to meet to be baptized with the Holy Spirit?
Acts 1:4, 5 -
And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."


Lol, and you think that you know your own New Testament So well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 08:12 AM
 
5,963 posts, read 1,702,308 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where did Jesus tell the apostles to meet to be baptized with the Holy Spirit?
Acts 1:4, 5 -
And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
You're correct. How about before then? I assumed the OP was asking about that. They didn't have the Holy Spirit until after Jesus left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 08:25 AM
 
Location: US
27,970 posts, read 15,053,894 times
Reputation: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You're correct. How about before then? I assumed the OP was asking about that. They didn't have the Holy Spirit until after Jesus left.
You said that the Apostles didn’t have the indwelling of the holy sprit but “we” do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 08:42 AM
 
5,963 posts, read 1,702,308 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You said that the Apostles didn’t have the indwelling of the holy sprit but “we” do...
Yes. Christians do. Before then, the apostles didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 AM
 
1,280 posts, read 434,756 times
Reputation: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive wondered about this lately, it was sort of mentioned in another thread and got me thinking, Jesus had no problems showing his abilities to the apostles during his time on the earth, they doubted him over and over again, yet Jesus kept doing miracles and supernatural acts for them.

If faith alone was not good enough for the people who lived and walked with Jesus, why in the world should people living 2000 yrs later, be expected to rely so much on faith? Why doesnt Jesus show off his abilities for people today? I realize some would still not believe in him, but SOME would.

Please see Hebrews 11.


The Bible lists person after person who acted based on faith alone. It was good enough for everyone in Hebrews 11.


God knows that we're all human and have doubts. That is a normal part of being a Christian. Perhaps He picked regular people, with their doubts, to make that point.


However, faith is trusting in something that we know is true even though we don't directly see it. Perhaps it took Jesus's miracles to move people past their doubts and to have that faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 12:44 PM
 
Location: US
27,970 posts, read 15,053,894 times
Reputation: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. Christians do. Before then, the apostles didn't.
The Apostles were said to have received it on Pentecost...


You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you …”, Acts 1:8) and “after” His ascension (“… He was taken up …”, Acts 1:9,10) “then” we have the actual coming of the Holy Spirit (“… they were filled with the Holy Spirit …”, 2:1-4). - https://christianindex.org/disciples...ly-spirit-102/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 12:46 PM
 
5,963 posts, read 1,702,308 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Apostles were said to have received it on Pentecost...
OK? And?

Do you not comprehend that I'[m speaking of BEFORE and AFTER Pentecost? Am I really being that unclear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top