U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 12:51 PM

241 posts, read 49,185 times

Advertisements

jesus not only broke ancient social norms by conversing equally with a women, but he conversed equally with a women who was also a samaritan.

note: not only was it a punishable ancient offense to speak equally with a women or samaritan, but it it was also a stoneable offense in some ancient provinces.

seeing the news today, i see jesus teaching not only as relevant, but as practical as it was 2000 years ago

it is often taboo for one to be meek, merciful or pacifist without worrying about the social fallout or encroach to a mans masculinity

a group of people, who experienced a horrible tragedy, shocked the world and many leaders when they forgave

as a man who lives in a world that condones stoicism, i choose to not only be pacifist, but to forgive everybody

i do not do this to be self righteous, perfect or to be behaviorally rewarded.

i choose to forgiveness and pacifism because it is of my moral compass.

jesus, a lowly humble nazarene, never threw stones .

jesus is a challenge, imploring the world to forgive, to turn the other cheek, to have compassion

bible:

Mark 12:31 (KJV) And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

excuse uneditef cell phone grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 12:56 PM

25,838 posts, read 13,426,503 times
The concept of Jesus is certainly more relevant today than that of his (purported) sire.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:57 PM

5,965 posts, read 1,705,354 times
Jesus was also hated for no reason, just as so many people still hate him and his followers, for no reason.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:06 PM

25,838 posts, read 13,426,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Jesus was also hated for no reason, just as so many people still hate him and his followers, for no reason.

I have never heard the words "I hate Jesus" or seen them written in my 67 years on the planet. You made that up in order to keep up the pretense that Christians are persecuted. You fundies are so insecure.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:33 PM

56,107 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Quote:
I don't think that's true at all. Jesus was hated for the reason that he threatened the religious authority structure and called them out on their abuses of power. Similarly, when people today see those who would hide behind a structure of religious authority to abuse power, they are being called out on it.

That seems to me to be the No. 1 complaint of unbelievers: That SOME religious people are trying to take control and abuse power under the guise of religion. In such cases, atheists might find themselves oddly in the same position as Jesus was back in the first century.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:39 PM

5,965 posts, read 1,705,354 times
living rent free in some people's heads

Old 10-13-2018, 02:35 PM

20,419 posts, read 9,834,499 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I have never heard the words "I hate Jesus" or seen them written in my 67 years on the planet. You made that up in order to keep up the pretense that Christians are persecuted. You fundies are so insecure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think that's true at all. Jesus was hated for the reason that he threatened the religious authority structure and called them out on their abuses of power. Similarly, when people today see those who would hide behind a structure of religious authority to abuse power, they are being called out on it.

That seems to me to be the No. 1 complaint of unbelievers: That SOME religious people are trying to take control and abuse power under the guise of religion. In such cases, atheists might find themselves oddly in the same position as Jesus was back in the first century.
It helps to have your rent paid.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:15 PM

241 posts, read 49,185 times
as a non-denominational christian, i viee power and authority as contradictory to what jesus taught.

i would opt to be servant, not a leadet

i, myself, would never want power because jesus himself was a servant, not a ruler.

jesus demonstrated this when he washed his disciples feet, exemplifying that we are esentially servants to one another. jesus said that the second most important law is this: treating thy neighbor as you would treat thyself

jesus never regarded pilate or herod as sires; in fact, jesus regarded pilate and herod as if they were they were mere everyday people.

the lowly humble nazarene, jesus, was no dictator.

jesus illustrated gods nature when he taught about the inportance of humility in this parable:

Luke 14:7-11

World English Bible (WEB)

He spoke a parable to those who were invited, when he noticed how they chose the best seats, and said to them, “When you are invited by anyone to a marriage feast, don’t sit in the best seat, since perhaps someone more honorable than you might be invited by him, and he who invited both of you would come and tell you, ‘Make room for this person.’ Then you would begin, with shame, to take the lowest place. But when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that when he who invited you comes, he may tell you, ‘Friend, move up higher.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at the table with you. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”

excuse unedited grammar

Last edited by spiros7; 10-13-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 10-13-2018, 08:31 PM

3,671 posts, read 1,539,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
as a non-denominational christian, i viee power and authority as contradictory to what jesus taught.

i would opt to be servant, not a leadet

i, myself, would never want power because jesus himself was a servant, not a ruler.

jesus demonstrated this when he washed his disciples feet, exemplifying that we are esentially servants to one another. jesus said that the second most important law is this: treating thy neighbor as you would treat thyself

jesus never regarded pilate or herod as sires; in fact, jesus regarded pilate and herod as if they were they were mere everyday people.

the lowly humble nazarene, jesus, was no dictator.

jesus illustrated gods nature when he taught about the inportance of humility in this parable:

Luke 14:7-11

World English Bible (WEB)

He spoke a parable to those who were invited, when he noticed how they chose the best seats, and said to them, “When you are invited by anyone to a marriage feast, don’t sit in the best seat, since perhaps someone more honorable than you might be invited by him, and he who invited both of you would come and tell you, ‘Make room for this person.’ Then you would begin, with shame, to take the lowest place. But when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that when he who invited you comes, he may tell you, ‘Friend, move up higher.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at the table with you. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”

excuse unedited grammar
First, good topic, and some good answers, but don't put down the paint brush just yet. yes our Lord forgave, but he also made a whip or a scourge of small cords, and drove out the money changers that was in the temple. but notice, he also overthrew the tables.

remember he said that he came to set at variance between a mother and a daughter,,, ect. Matthew 10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Matthew 10:35 "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Matthew 10:36 "And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Matthew 10:37 "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me".

yes, our Lord was a suffering servant, but he was born KING.

PICYJAG.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:54 PM

8,671 posts, read 3,107,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
jesus not only broke ancient social norms by conversing equally with a women, but he conversed equally with a women who was also a samaritan.

note: not only was it a punishable ancient offense to speak equally with a women or samaritan, but it it was also a stoneable offense in some ancient provinces.

seeing the news today, i see jesus teaching not only as relevant, but as practical as it was 2000 years ago

it is often taboo for one to be meek, merciful or pacifist without worrying about the social fallout or encroach to a mans masculinity

a group of people, who experienced a horrible tragedy, shocked the world and many leaders when they forgave

as a man who lives in a world that condones stoicism, i choose to not only be pacifist, but to forgive everybody

i do not do this to be self righteous, perfect or to be behaviorally rewarded.

i choose to forgiveness and pacifism because it is of my moral compass.

jesus, a lowly humble nazarene, never threw stones .

jesus is a challenge, imploring the world to forgive, to turn the other cheek, to have compassion

bible:

Mark 12:31 (KJV) And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

excuse uneditef cell phone grammar
Oh I can relate.
These smart phones have me spell checking spell check. Then, even after proof reading. Some kinda weird computer code software translation errors give me more work after hitting the submit button.
Argh,
Freaking frustrating to say the least.
I can read well over 100 pages an hr.
Type upwards of 50 plus words a min. on an analog keyboard. Grrr, then comes, "convenient techknowledgy"?

>Social Norms?
; Uhh, , _ _ Do you mean abide by and fullfill Torah.
If so, yup. Societal norms are like male and female are obvious.

>Pacifist?
Sorry, you won't even find a single coward in heaven. Typically pacifist is synonymous to timid.
Yes the English language is difficult. Meek is easier understood as Humble.
As in the Lord is humble in Heart. Timid is more like a coward who uses insult to cover their own pain, and then proceeds to go out an hurt others.
Woe to them.

Blessed are the merciful_____________.!
Ask you will receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity