Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 AM

241 posts, read 95,101 times

Advertisements

excuse unedited cell phone grammar

did the gospel of thomas appeal to some christian theologions because of its carbon dating and possible derivation that dates back around the inception of the early christian community?

the gospel of thomas, a document that is not only early but may have been derived from the illusive q document that was the derivation of both mathew and luke, is still very important not only because of its the age that offers a glimpse into ancient culture and custom, but because it also dates around the inception of the early post jesus community that has beenn illusive due to the lack of historical documents and archeology discoveries.

now, i cannot say or determine if it should be viewed as an addition to ones study. though, i will point out that many of the parables in both mathee and luke are also found in the collection of sayings known as the gospel of thomas.

while i dont want to astray the sheep, it is interesting to note that many theologions consider it a fifth gospel.

the main denominational institutions, however, regard it as a gnostic work rather than anything christian related.

though it has been disregarded, it remains an important document to both theologions and historians who are trying to reconfigure life 2000 yrs ago.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
excuse unedited cell phone grammar

did the gospel of thomas appeal to some christian theologions because of its carbon dating and possible derivation that dates back around the inception of the early christian community?

the gospel of thomas, a document that is not only early but may have been derived from the illusive q document that was the derivation of both mathew and luke, is still very important not only because of its the age that offers a glimpse into ancient culture and custom, but because it also dates around the inception of the early post jesus community that has beenn illusive due to the lack of historical documents and archeology discoveries.

now, i cannot say or determine if it should be viewed as an addition to ones study. though, i will point out that many of the parables in both mathee and luke are also found in the collection of sayings known as the gospel of thomas.

while i dont want to astray the sheep, it is interesting to note that many theologions consider it a fifth gospel.

the main denominational institutions, however, regard it as a gnostic work rather than anything christian related.

though it has been disregarded, it remains an important document to both theologions and historians who are trying to reconfigure life 2000 yrs ago.
What carbon dating?

And compared to what else?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:55 AM

excuse unedited cell grammar

sorry, i dont know why the word " carbon " appeared before the word dating. i have a glitch that results in having to backspace unecessary words

some prominent scholars and theologions date its creation to around 200 a.d, while others, most notably the jesus seminar, date the document much earlier to around the time james epistle was created, which would be 40-60 a.d.

by comparison, the gospel of thomas parables are also found in the synoptic gospels of mathew and luke. this has lead historians, scholars and theologion to think that it derived from the hypothetical q-document where both mathew and luke may have derived.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What carbon dating?

And compared to what else?

sorry, i dont know why the word " carbon " appeared before the word dating. i have a glitch that results in having to backspace unecessary words

some prominent scholars and theologions date its creation to around 200 a.d, while others, most notably the jesus seminar, date the document much earlier to around the time james epistle was created, which would be 40-60 a.d.

by comparison, the gospel of thomas parables are also found in the synoptic gospels of mathew and luke. this has lead historians, scholars and theologion to think that it derived from the hypothetical q-document where both mathew and luke may have derived.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
The Gospel of Thomas is most interesting because it contains core material from the ministery of Jesus, and like the other gospels also contains elements designed to further a particular perception of the nature of thet ministry and how best to convey it. I don't know if there has been any kind of study detailing shared elements and contrasting divegent elements. That might have great value in isolating what is and is not core to that ministry of Jesus.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:11 AM

while this is off topic, it is interesting to note that both titus and timothy have authors unknown. so there canonization remains controversial to some not only because the way it differiates from pauls other epistles, but because of the things it contains.

personally, i am fulfilled spiritually by the canonical gospels.

unlike the synoptic gospels, john differiates from the synoptics quite distinctly

some theologions and christians adhere to the gospel of thomas as a fifth gospel. they do because of the parables as well as it adding to the study of the canonical gospels. some say that the canonical gospels can be converged with the gospel of thomas to convey a more clear meaning of god, while others are skeptical and denouce it as heresy. this one thing is made certain: it is no forgery

personally, i am spiritually fulfilled by the canonical gospels. to tell you the truth,i dont really know what to make of the gospel of thomas. it is interesting to note that it is not only an early legitimate document, but it cobtains many parables and saying that are found in the synoptics

Last edited by spiros7; 10-14-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 11:43 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,070 times
Quote:

Jesus seminar is not a reliable source. Their audience are History Channel viewers. The Jesus Seminar credibility ranks up there with aliens in the Bible and the landing on the moon conspiracy.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:36 PM

i am not too familar with the history channel, nor do i agree with everythin the jesus seminar has elaborated. i do, however, find some of their findings interesting. i never was a fan of the history channel,but i do know that the jesus seminar feature some prominent scholars who have some interesting things to say based on legitimate sources. of course, there are many counters to what

the jesus seminar was not only well regarded among scholars, denominations and theologians, bit it was seriously debated among

Old 10-14-2018, 12:55 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,070 times
Quote:
i am not too familar with the history channel, nor do i agree with everythin the jesus seminar has elaborated. i do, however, find some of their findings interesting. i never was a fan of the history channel,but i do know that the jesus seminar feature some prominent scholars who have some interesting things to say based on legitimate sources. of course, there are many counters to what

the jesus seminar was not only well regarded among scholars, denominations and theologians, bit it was seriously debated among
I don’t agree with any of this. Who regards them as scholars? Who holds them with high esteem? I can call myself a prominent scholar but that doesn’t make it tue.

Do you know that the Jesus Seminar discounts Jesus miracles?

Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post

Do you know that the Jesus Seminar discounts Jesus miracles?
One should always analyze legendary alements as to their purpose and the impact they might have on the essential message of Christ. We will then see that all they do, true or not is add to a cult of personality made into a religion that often ignores or even outright detracts from the basic message of God's love to be reflected in our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity