Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:21 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,214,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
You wouldn’t understand. Its technical.

Seriously, it is all in the Bible.
GotQuestions.org does a much better explaining it.

‘The point is that God has ordained to redeem a remnant of humanity to salvation. These elect individuals were chosen before the creation of the world, and their salvation is complete in Christ.’

https://www.gotquestions.org/elect-of-God.html
Only people with the right "heart condition" are receptive to the truth (as per the Watchtower and Bible Society of Pennsylvania) and will receive everlasting life while you(and myself) go off to everlasting destruction.

Is it that kind of technical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 PM

22,797 posts, read 10,231,752 times
Quote:

The point is that God has ordained to redeem a remnant of humanity to salvation. These elect individuals were chosen before the creation of the world, and their salvation is complete in Christ.’

You don't know what you are talking about concerning the elect and chosen and who they have historically been.

You are making up things about history and I really wished you would quit on it.

Posting a link from the interweb quoting somebody's opinion is not taken as fact, you know that right?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,176,943 times
Quote:

‘The point is that God has ordained to redeem a remnant of humanity to salvation. These elect individuals were chosen before the creation of the world, and their salvation is complete in Christ.’
And they will be teaching you the way of righteousness as you didn't learn the first time.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:53 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,758,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You don't know what you are talking about concerning the elect and chosen and who they have historically been.

You are making up things about history and I really wished you would quit on it.

Posting a link from the interweb quoting somebody's opinion is not taken as fact, you know that right?
Heheh intercom

Last edited by pinacled; 10-17-2018 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 PM

1,183 posts, read 529,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

It is not an opinion but merely reflects what Scriptures says about the Elect. I posted Gotquestions.org because they explained much better than I can.

Here is the statement from Gotquestions website.

All of our answers are reviewed for biblical and theological accuracy by our staff. Our CEO, S. Michael Houdmann, is ultimately accountable for our content, and therefore maintains an active role in the review process. He possesses a Bachelor's degree in Biblical Studies from Calvary University and a Master's degree in Christian Theology from Calvary Theological Seminary (Kansas City, MO).

Old 10-17-2018, 10:49 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,013,000 times
Quote:

Bafflegab.

It works on certain brains. As evidence: Religion & Advertising.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:56 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,350,923 times
Quote:
I am not a believer in Universalism, or Progressive Christianity. The Church of Latter Day Saints would never refer to me as a Mormon. I am a Bible believing born again Christian. Religions that do not adhere to Christian orthodoxy and do not agree that the Bible is divinely inspired without error, are not part of my faith. Would not these institutions agree with this declaration.

For those in my Church we consider ourselves as The Elect. We either have been predestined or freely chose salvation. Regardless, we are the Church. Many are not. So, why do some consider this statement as offensive?
Ask yourself this Sum...when you do stand before Him will He ask what your denomination is or what you actually did with your life? God is not concerned with whatever label we slap on ourselves.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:59 AM

22,797 posts, read 10,231,752 times
Quote:
It is not an opinion but merely reflects what Scriptures says about the Elect. I posted Gotquestions.org because they explained much better than I can.

All of our answers are reviewed for biblical and theological accuracy by our staff. Our CEO, S. Michael Houdmann, is ultimately accountable for our content, and therefore maintains an active role in the review process. He possesses a Bachelor's degree in Biblical Studies from Calvary University and a Master's degree in Christian Theology from Calvary Theological Seminary (Kansas City, MO).
The elect of Israel/Ephraim is 7000 Israelis living amongst Jews in every generation and when a Gentile joined these numbers by becoming Ephraim under a conversion, they took on the name of the elect,'' Ephraim.''

YOU ARE NOT EPHRAIM, you are not Judah, you are not one of the elect, but there is still salvation, the elect is something else, and I can understand you take the words of Anti-Semites for 2000 years claiming to be Israel,'' THE ELECT,'' but they are not Israel and neither are you. There are conditions to become a part of Israel and you don't fill those conditions even a little.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:58 PM

32,905 posts, read 26,132,057 times
Quote:

Quote:

The view expressed by Gotquestions concerning election and predestination is the Calvinist interpretation. But it is not Biblical. The Calvinist view of election and predestination fails to take into account and cannot explain why since God desires that all men be saved as per 1 Timothy 2:4, and doesn't desire that anyone perish as per 2 Peter 3:9 why He would then sovereignly decree to elect and predestine only certain people while leaving others under condemnation.

That view logically implies that while God wants to save everyone, and although He is Sovereign and all powerful, yet for some reason, He is unable to save everyone. It is true that not everyone will be saved despite the fact that God desires that all be saved. And the reason is because by God's sovereign will, in human history the volition of man co-exists with the sovereignty of God. God limits the use of His sovereignty so that human volition can act contrary to God's will.

The issue in salvation is whether a person will respond to the gospel message by believing in Christ Jesus. That is, by believing that Jesus died for his sins and rose again. Anyone who believes this and as a result simply trusts in the finished redemptive work of Jesus on the cross has eternal life.

The issue in predestination isn't even salvation. The object of predestination is not salvation, but what anyone who believes in Christ is predestined to. God in His foreknowledge knows who will volitionally respond to the gospel message and receive Jesus as Savior. And knowing this, He elects them and predestines them to be conformed to the image of His Son and to be glorified as per Romans 8:29-30.

A person's volitional response to the gospel message determines whether or not he will be eternally saved. God doesn't withhold salvation from a person without regard to a person's volition. Jesus said to the group of people to whom he was speaking, ''and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life'' (John 5:40).

The invitation to eternal life is for everyone. One need only accept the invitation by placing his faith in Jesus Christ.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 PM

20,373 posts, read 12,655,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The view expressed by Gotquestions concerning election and predestination is the Calvinist interpretation. But it is not Biblical. The Calvinist view of election and predestination fails to take into account and cannot explain why since God desires that all men be saved as per 1 Timothy 2:4, and doesn't desire that anyone perish as per 2 Peter 3:9 why He would then sovereignly decree to elect and predestine only certain people while leaving others under condemnation.

That view logically implies that while God wants to save everyone, and although He is Sovereign and all powerful, yet for some reason, He is unable to save everyone. It is true that not everyone will be saved despite the fact that God desires that all be saved. And the reason is because by God's sovereign will, in human history the volition of man co-exists with the sovereignty of God. God limits the use of His sovereignty so that human volition can act contrary to God's will.

The issue in salvation is whether a person will respond to the gospel message by believing in Christ Jesus. That is, by believing that Jesus died for his sins and rose again. Anyone who believes this and as a result simply trusts in the finished redemptive work of Jesus on the cross has eternal life.

The issue in predestination isn't even salvation. The object of predestination is not salvation, but what anyone who believes in Christ is predestined to. God in His foreknowledge knows who will volitionally respond to the gospel message and receive Jesus as Savior. And knowing this, He elects them and predestines them to be conformed to the image of His Son and to be glorified as per Romans 8:29-30.

A person's volitional response to the gospel message determines whether or not he will be eternally saved. God doesn't withhold salvation from a person without regard to a person's volition. Jesus said to the group of people to whom he was speaking, ''and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life'' (John 5:40).

The invitation to eternal life is for everyone. One need only accept the invitation by placing his faith in Jesus Christ.
Thank you, Mike. Excellent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity