U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 PM
 
5,494 posts, read 2,318,353 times
Reputation: 16531

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
"you people"?


Look, here's the thing. Truly, they have been waiting for the 2nd coming and, accordingly, relocation to a much better free real estate plus all the amenities, for over 2000 years. That's a LONG wait and there apparently is not signs showing that it's coming any time soon. Next Monday, 6:45 am. Boom, all go to heaven.
Why exactly are you surprised then, that they, sort of, anxiously await it? I mean, I get it, entire promise is based on obey and be a slave in your life, you'll get your rewards later. But life is short, faith is not that strong, death is coming fast and furious - and where's the promised?

For a pretty simple reason. Those who point at every thunderstorm and say, "There it is! It's on us!" undermine the credibility of those who simply try to express the good news of Christ.



The other aspect of it? Awaiting the Second Coming and the Tribulations with bated breath is beside the point. It speaks to a worldview that is heavy on God's judgment and damnation and light on God's grace. As in, "Behave yourselves because God is now coming." Yet, that's not why we should follow Christ. We shouldn't be following him out of fear of punishment. We should follow him out of simple devotion to who He is and what He means to a troubled world.



God says "Do not be afraid" far more times than he says, "Vengeance is mine." I think that's the message we really should be taking to heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2018, 05:17 PM
 
40,117 posts, read 26,779,715 times
Reputation: 6051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
For a pretty simple reason. Those who point at every thunderstorm and say, "There it is! It's on us!" undermine the credibility of those who simply try to express the good news of Christ.
The other aspect of it? Awaiting the Second Coming and the Tribulations with bated breath is beside the point. It speaks to a worldview that is heavy on God's judgment and damnation and light on God's grace. As in, "Behave yourselves because God is now coming." Yet, that's not why we should follow Christ. We shouldn't be following him out of fear of punishment. We should follow him out of simple devotion to who He is and what He means to a troubled world.
God says "Do not be afraid" far more times than he says, "Vengeance is mine." I think that's the message we really should be taking to heart.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Booth Texas
14,883 posts, read 4,991,637 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
So. On Facebook this morning. Acquaintance mentions hurricane Michael in Florida and a 7.2 earthquake in New Guinea happening in the same week. To her, that's a sign that the Apocalypse is at hand.

So I did what any rational, even marginally curious person would do. I looked up on the USGS earthquake database and found -- lo and behold -- that earthquakes of that magnitude are pretty much a monthly occurrence somewhere in the world. And hurricanes, of course, make landfall like clockwork every summer and fall in the Western Hemisphere.

And yet, despite the absolute frequency of these events since time immemorial, every hurricane, earthquake, volcano eruption, tsunami, F5 twister, and landslide is seen as an omen of the impending End of Days. I mean, one loopy person referred to separate hailstorms that hit a Colorado zoo and a French vineyard as proof. Outside of some birds at the zoo and some grapevines, nobody died on those. Yet, that's a sign that a wrathful God is about to wreak vengeance on a sinful humanity.

But if you look backwards in history, we've seen much worse. World War II. The Spanish Influenza. Heck, the Black Plague killed off 25-33% of humanity. 850,000 people died in a 1556 earthquake in China. The list goes on and on. Europe imploded after the Roman Empire collapsed. In other words, we've seen far worse.

So here's my question. What weird psychology is at work with you people, that every disaster is a sign that the Apocalypse is coming?
It is that we have all been brainwashed for 2000 years, and you begin by assuming that you are indwelled with the Holy spirit when you are not. I walked around as one of those prophets for years, and it is very hard to overcome with a person who has always been brought up from childbirth. I spoke in tongues for almost 40 years and prophesied over 100's and every one of them were crying....

What happened at Pentecost was a rain that came and went because it was designed to come and go, but now, since we all read the New Testament assuming it is written to us, we grow up knowing we are indwelled with a spirit, and we assume we have the rain of Pentecost when not one person on this Earth does have it, nobody has the holy spirit of Pentecost but we all know we have it....

Nobody has the gifts of Pentecost, nobody is indwelled with a seasonal rain that came and stopped as the rain stops...

There would not be a promise for the second rain had the first rain remained.

We tell ourselves the spirit is speaking to us, the problem being is that it's true, spirits do speak, it just isn't the rain and holy spirit that was given on Pentecost because of the fact that if there was one single person who had this spirit, there wouldn't be any other religions. There would not be so much as one Atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 PM
 
17,590 posts, read 10,661,846 times
Reputation: 8510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
With regard to your comment concerning earthquakes, the USGS says,
''ComCat earthquake catalog contains an increasing number of earthquakes in recent years not because there are more earthquakes, but because there are more seismic instruments and they are able to record more earthquakes.''

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/why-are-we...ience_products
Meaningless, as people now see more earthquakes.


Plus from your link:


"According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 16 major earthquakes in any given year, which includes 15 earthquakes in the magnitude 7 range and one earthquake magnitude 8.0 or greater. In the past 44 years, from 1973 through 2017, our records show that we have exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes only 11 times, in 1976, 1990, 1995, 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2016.

A sign is what is visible, not simply the numbers and the link was speaking of increases in size, not frequency.


You might find this interesting as it is not just speaking of the size but the number and why and human activity is one reason, plus global changes and all occurring in the last 100 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 07:57 PM
 
17,590 posts, read 10,661,846 times
Reputation: 8510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There have always been famines, plagues and earthquakes. And Kingdoms against other Kingdoms throughout man's history.
But not as many, not as devastating as to the numbers killed and not as visible to everyone, which is what a prophetic sign includes.


The 20th century was the most murderous in recorded history. The total number of deaths caused by or associated with its wars has been estimated at 187m, the equivalent of more than 10% of the world's population in 1913. Taken as having begun in 1914, it was a century of almost unbroken war, with few and brief periods without organised armed conflict somewhere. It was dominated by world wars: that is to say, by wars between territorial states or alliances of states.



https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ighereducation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 PM
 
17,590 posts, read 10,661,846 times
Reputation: 8510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Actually, I don't think I'm the one who is blind here. We live in a time of unmatched prosperity and peace, a trend that seems to be accelerating. Comparatively speaking, it's certainly more peaceful, law-abiding and prosperous compared to the time when Saint John the Divine lived in exile on Patmos with his apocalyptic visions.

So let's take your examples point by point.

How in the Sam Hill do you know there have been more earthquakes in the past 100 years than in all of recorded history? More than a century ago, large parts of the world were either underpopulated or did not have the reporting mechanisms or journalists to note when earthquakes happened. The reason we hear about more earthquakes today is because there are far more seismic instruments that are also far better at detecting tremors.

There were 113 armed conflicts in Europe alone between 1900 and 1939. That doesn't even count Asia, Africa, the Middle East, or Latin America. If anything, the world has become a far, far safer and more peaceful place. The world is actually safer than ever. And here's the data to prove that | Jefferson Public Radio

As far as the world population in hunger statistic is concerned, we are actually in a period of unprecedented prosperity. According to the World Bank, the global poverty rate has plunged to 10%, compared to 36% in 1990.


So, no. I realize that if you're a hammer, everything in the world looks like a nail, but nothing you say is borne out in fact.
See above post re wars. Again prophecy is what is seen. Today it is possible for just about everyone to see the mass of wars, etc.


John lived during the Pax Romana when wars were rare there and only on the outskirts of the Roman Empire.


Prosperity is an average. However 1/10th of the worlds population were chronically undernourished.


https://www.worldhunger.org/hunger-q...-in-the-world/


It should be better and is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 PM
 
17,590 posts, read 10,661,846 times
Reputation: 8510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
GINOLJC, to all.

the beginning of sorrows FIRST.

Matthew 24:3 "And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
Matthew 24:4 "And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Matthew 24:5 "For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Matthew 24:6 "And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Matthew 24:7 "For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
Matthew 24:8 "All these are the beginning of sorrows.: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake".

The Coming of Christ./

Matthew 24:29 "Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Matthew 24:30 "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matthew 24:31 "And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other".

PICYJAG.
They are also ignoring Rev 11:18 which has never before been possible and is happening now. Man is ruining the earth.


KJV Revelation 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.


The word "destroy" in Greek:


01372 d(1) spoil, ruin, destroy utterly (RV 8.9); of a moth in clothes eat, consume (LU 12.33); pass. of pers. waste away, become weak (2C 4.16); (2) morally, corrupt, lead astray, ruin; pass. be depraved (1T 6.5).



Just read the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 08:17 PM
 
8,671 posts, read 3,112,227 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Actually, I don't think I'm the one who is blind here. We live in a time of unmatched prosperity and peace, a trend that seems to be accelerating. Comparatively speaking, it's certainly more peaceful, law-abiding and prosperous compared to the time when Saint John the Divine lived in exile on Patmos with his apocalyptic visions.

So let's take your examples point by point.

How in the Sam Hill do you know there have been more earthquakes in the past 100 years than in all of recorded history? More than a century ago, large parts of the world were either underpopulated or did not have the reporting mechanisms or journalists to note when earthquakes happened. The reason we hear about more earthquakes today is because there are far more seismic instruments that are also far better at detecting tremors.

There were 113 armed conflicts in Europe alone between 1900 and 1939. That doesn't even count Asia, Africa, the Middle East, or Latin America. If anything, the world has become a far, far safer and more peaceful place. The world is actually safer than ever. And here's the data to prove that | Jefferson Public Radio

As far as the world population in hunger statistic is concerned, we are actually in a period of unprecedented prosperity. According to the World Bank, the global poverty rate has plunged to 10%, compared to 36% in 1990.


So, no. I realize that if you're a hammer, everything in the world looks like a nail, but nothing you say is borne out in fact.
Wrong,
Anyone can use statistics to ignore the ratio of the poverty line.
The inflation since 1990 is exponetional in comparison to wage increase.
I'm not in the mood to teach math here in this sub forum. These same sort of statistical devices are used to argue against climate change. The effects of the climate have been recorded in the polar ice caps for everyone to see.
Core samples give ample evidence of the effects mankind has had on the climate. Ignoring the frequency and power of hurricanes over the last few decades is the same thing.

How often does a hurricane strike France?
Or even move through the middle east.

Earth quakes also have been recorded to have increased and the trace evidence will likely lead to mankind's actions.
Not so much a supernatural event in terms of perspective, but still supernatural in terms of mankind's interference with the natural order.
Corruption has but one goal.
Corrupt absolutely.
The same people mocked the Lord while he suffered on the cross.

Such atrocious disregard for the purity of life is enescable for those that deny the Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Booth Texas
14,883 posts, read 4,991,637 times
Reputation: 1520
Default A day Of Spitting Out Frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They are also ignoring Rev 11:18 which has never before been possible and is happening now. Man is ruining the earth.


KJV Revelation 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.


The word "destroy" in Greek:


01372 d(1) spoil, ruin, destroy utterly (RV 8.9); of a moth in clothes eat, consume (LU 12.33); pass. of pers. waste away, become weak (2C 4.16); (2) morally, corrupt, lead astray, ruin; pass. be depraved (1T 6.5).



Just read the news.
If something in Revelation has taken place, it has taken place in your life. Everything in Revelation has to swiftly be fulfilled by anyone reading the book in every generation unless people want to deny the first and last thing Revelation says.

The very first thing said is trying to make a very serious point that everything written within the book must shortly come to pass, Revelation is showing a death and a birth just as if Elijah was taken away and Elisha left behind. You have to live by the prophesies in the book or there shall never be a day of spitting out frogs for you. You can keep your frogs, but they will come if you will prepare the way of the coming of the kings of the East, Behold, there be kings in waiting outside and frogs within lol.

The frogs, the frogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 PM
Status: "Watching America made small." (set 14 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,882 posts, read 13,451,742 times
Reputation: 11701
Christians are weird. You can quote me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top