Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Yes, if the cabin is within 100 miles of the coast line convert it to a houseboat. I know, big joke now until you see dead fish and red tide all over the world if the temp keeps going up. It's coming...just like birth pangs too.. major events increasing in frequency. We see these almost monthly now. You have to be in denial to say nothing is going on with the weather.
Weather is different than climate change and the earth is constantly changing.
But, apparently, it's an inconvenience to the nature of things as we see it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:13 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

I know the difference between weather and climate change. The flat Earthers don't however. What many aren't seeing is this.. it's an inconvenience to the nature of things as we see it...but much, much more. Earth marches on with or without us but God needs this planet to sustain mankind in my opinion. We cannot live in any civilized manner if millions/billions need to flee the coasts and resources become scarce to the point nations colliding. This isn't Hal Lindsey crap...these are some of the world's top scientists...listen to them....listen to them describe the permafrost in Alaska melting, Greenland melting, on and on and on. My God we're like frogs in a pot of boiling water not knowing anything is up.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I know the difference between weather and climate change. The flat Earthers don't however. What many aren't seeing is this.. it's an inconvenience to the nature of things as we see it...but much, much more. Earth marches on with or without us but God needs this planet to sustain mankind in my opinion. We cannot live in any civilized manner if millions/billions need to flee the coasts and resources become scarce to the point nations colliding. This isn't Hal Lindsey crap...these are some of the world's top scientists...listen to them....listen to them describe the permafrost in Alaska melting, Greenland melting, on and on and on. My God we're like frogs in a pot of boiling water not knowing anything is up.
The only constant throughout life is change, but that doesn't mean that it comes freely without any challenge.
If we build a house on a volcano we should know what to expect, even in tornado alley or along the coast.

Unfortunately, death is also a part of what we experience in this life. However, it's not something we should fear.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:25 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen.
Proverbs 12:22
Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord

Old 10-19-2018, 05:49 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Proverbs 12:22
Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord
Then why practice it in defense of an evil consequence like Hell or damnation? Fear of such a fictitious abomination is not necessary. Love is more than sufficient reason to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Don't have far to go now. This is my front yard.

Count me jealous.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Count me jealous.

My life has taken many a twist and turn but I ended up being blessed. And I appreciate it every time I look out a window.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:18 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Don't have far to go now. This is my front yard.
I've seen it before and remain envious. Was the purple martin house always there?

Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I've seen it before and remain envious. Was the purple martin house always there?

Yes, was here when I bought the place. But alas, no martins have made it a home. At least, yet.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:35 PM

118 posts, read 66,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
So. On Facebook this morning. Acquaintance mentions hurricane Michael in Florida and a 7.2 earthquake in New Guinea happening in the same week. To her, that's a sign that the Apocalypse is at hand.

So I did what any rational, even marginally curious person would do. I looked up on the USGS earthquake database and found -- lo and behold -- that earthquakes of that magnitude are pretty much a monthly occurrence somewhere in the world. And hurricanes, of course, make landfall like clockwork every summer and fall in the Western Hemisphere.

And yet, despite the absolute frequency of these events since time immemorial, every hurricane, earthquake, volcano eruption, tsunami, F5 twister, and landslide is seen as an omen of the impending End of Days. I mean, one loopy person referred to separate hailstorms that hit a Colorado zoo and a French vineyard as proof. Outside of some birds at the zoo and some grapevines, nobody died on those. Yet, that's a sign that a wrathful God is about to wreak vengeance on a sinful humanity.

But if you look backwards in history, we've seen much worse. World War II. The Spanish Influenza. Heck, the Black Plague killed off 25-33% of humanity. 850,000 people died in a 1556 earthquake in China. The list goes on and on. Europe imploded after the Roman Empire collapsed. In other words, we've seen far worse.

So here's my question. What weird psychology is at work with you people, that every disaster is a sign that the Apocalypse is coming?

I think the weird philosophy is simply a lack of understanding of how our planet began. Fire, brimstone, earthquakes, volcano's, tectonic plat shifts, asteroid and comet impacts. Then it was not the "End times" but the "Beginning times." The only difference is that now, humans are around to experience and put imaginary, even supernatural purposes to it all. When actually, as you said, earthquakes and the like happen every day, they are just a part of living on a planet with huge mass and gravity. I think that many Christians, lacking any evidence for their beliefs, use these natural events as evidence. Their leaders also feed into this delusion, quite frankly, they make a ton of money on books and Compact discs about the "End Times." The "Left Behind" series being one example of selling mysterious, supernatural myth for a ton of money. Its all very unfortunate, but I suppose has to run its course, as the ignorance of the middle ages did. (200,000+ innocents burned as witches). All in all, its quite a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity