Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:28 PM

241 posts, read 94,615 times

Advertisements

there are communities throughout america that consist of these great faith and non-faith sects: jews, muslims, humanist, atheist, secularist, christians, buddhist.

i have read countless stories of communities who work for the common good to assure dignity.

these communities work to assure dignity, to quell divisions and to help those who experience weather related hardship

interfaith communities are an interesting mix of atheist , liberals, conservatives, christians, secularists and other faiths that work together for the common good, bringing a unqiue peace to cities and counties through out america and abroad

they even advocate good practices such as pacifism

as a pacifist, i think it is good that interfaith communites, which include atheist and conservative opinion, advocate pacifism throughout america

what is your opinion?

Mark 12:31 (KJV) And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:40 PM

33,037 posts, read 26,252,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
there are communities throughout america that consist of these great faith and non-faith sects: jews, muslims, humanist, atheist, secularist, christians, buddhist.

i have read countless stories of communities who work for the common good to assure dignity.

these communities work to assure dignity, to quell divisions and to help those who experience weather related hardship

interfaith communities are an interesting mix of atheist , liberals, conservatives, christians, secularists and other faiths that work together for the common good, bringing a unqiue peace to cities and counties through out america and abroad

as a pacifist, i think it is good that interfaith communites, which include atheist and conservative opinion, advocate pacifism throughout america

what is your opinion?

Mark 12:31 (KJV) And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
As a pacifist, if, assuming that you're married, your wife was about to be killed by an attacker, and you could save her, but only by killing her attacker, would you kill him or would you let him kill your wife to maintain your pacifism?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:46 PM

241 posts, read 94,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As a pacifist, if, assuming that you're married, your wife was about to be killed by an attacker, and you could save her, but only by killing her attacker, would you kill him or would you let him kill your wife to maintain your pacifism?

i would never kill. i dont believe in taking or harming another human life. i impractically believe that life is a right that should be prolonged for someone who needs a life saving surgery. for example, i want to register to be a living organ donor because of the lack of available life prolonging organs available.

i am not one of those goody goody perfect self righteous people. i just want to prolong life for somone who needs a kidney, partial liver or bone marrow

i would never take someones life.

although i am a pacifist, i still support and appreciate the veterans who risk their life.
if i had a job, i would definately contribute to the wounded warrior project

i believe life should be prolonged and experienced---not ended

i would never harm another person; in fact, i would rather use my masculinity to help someome

Last edited by spiros7; 10-22-2018 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 01:55 PM

20,424 posts, read 12,717,233 times
Quote:
i would never kill. i dont believe in taking or harming another human life. i impractically believe that life is a right that should be prolonged for someone who needs a life saving surgery. for example, i want to register to be a living organ donor because of the lack of available life prolonging organs available.

i am one of those goody goody perfect self righteous people. i just want to prolong life for somone who needs a kidney, partial liver or bone marrow
Doesn’t your wife count?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:58 PM

33,037 posts, read 26,252,942 times
Quote:

i am one of those goody goody perfect self righteous people. i just want to prolong life for somone who needs a kidney, partial liver or bone marrow

i would never take someones life.

although i am a pacifist, i still support and appreciate the veterans who risk their life.
if i had a job, i would definately contribute to the wounded warrior project
So in answer to my question, you would let an attacker kill your wife when you could have saved her, because you would never kill?

Old 10-22-2018, 02:22 PM

27,986 posts, read 29,811,476 times
Quote:

what is your opinion?

I definitely agree that it's a good thing for various faiths to work together to serve the needs of their communities. I know that there is an interfaith council in Salt Lake City that is made up of individuals from pretty much every faith group imaginable (except for Jehovah's Witnesses, who apparently are opposed to such things). They do a great deal of good in bringing people together, stressing the things we all have in common, celebrating our diversity and learning to respect one another. That said, however, I am not in favor of ecumenism between the various Christian denominations. I don't like the idea of being asked to compromise any of my beliefs and I don't expect anyone else to compromise theirs, either. That doesn't mean we can't all be unified in accomplishing a lot of very worthwhile things.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-22-2018 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 03:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,269,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I definitely agree that it's a good thing for various faiths to work together to serve the needs of their communities. I know that there is an interfaith council in Salt Lake City that is made up of individuals from pretty much every faith group imaginable (except for Jehovah's Witnesses, who apparently are opposed to such things). They do a great deal of good in bringing people together, stressing the things we all have in common, celebrating our diversity and learning to respect one another. That said, however, I am not in favor of ecumenism between the various Christian denominations. I don't like the idea of being asked to compromise any of my beliefs and I don't expect anyone else to compromise theirs, either. That doesn't mean we can't all be unified in accomplishing a lot of very worthwhile things.
I don't find anything wrong with the principle of promoting unity among the world's Christian churches. And I also have no problem, if there are certain beliefs that people want to hold onto, as long as it is not something repugnant, like that of eternal punishment for a finite life. Especially, for merely not believing? That is just absurd.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I don't find anything wrong with the principle of promoting unity among the world's Christian churches. And I also have no problem, if there are certain beliefs that people want to hold onto, as long as it is not something repugnant, like that of eternal punishment for a finite life. Especially, for merely not believing? That is just absurd.
Obviously, no single individual can be forced to compromise when it comes to individual beliefs, nor should they have to. Just to make my position clear (if maybe it wasn't), I don't like the idea of churches as institutions working towards unity by saying, "Okay, well let's see if we can all compromise to come up with a single theology we can all live with." I do like the idea of all religions working together for the common good of mankind and learning about the others' beliefs. I don't feel that we can ever come to respect each other without putting forth an effort to understand one another, and I don't think that differences in theology should keep us from having close relationships -- either one-on-one or between different religious groups as a whole.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,269,907 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, no single individual can be forced to compromise when it comes to individual beliefs, nor should they have to. Just to make my position clear (if maybe it wasn't), I don't like the idea of churches as institutions working towards unity by saying, "Okay, well let's see if we can all compromise to come up with a single theology we can all live with." I do like the idea of all religions working together for the common good of mankind and learning about the others' beliefs. I don't feel that we can ever come to respect each other without putting forth an effort to understand one another, and I don't think that differences in theology should keep us from having close relationships -- either one-on-one or between different religious groups as a whole.
Your position was clear, and I do not disagree. I just find that if we set-aside our differences and focused on loving one-another, we might find that there really isn't a lot that we would disagree on, generally speaking.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Your position was clear, and I do not disagree. I just find that if we set-aside our differences and focused on loving one-another, we might find that there really isn't a lot that we would disagree on, generally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.