U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:04 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times

Advertisements

Seems my grandmother told me she prayed to the Saints to pray for her or whomever she desired prayer for. About the same as we sometimes ask our friends, family, you posters, etc to pray for us.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 01:52 AM

20,342 posts, read 9,813,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Seems my grandmother told me she prayed to the Saints to pray for her or whomever she desired prayer for. About the same as we sometimes ask our friends, family, you posters, etc to pray for us.
... even the silent prayers of a sincere heart is heard.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:20 AM

767 posts, read 429,248 times
Quote:
but those in Heaven do not pray to or for anyone. prayers were made for imperfect man, to Jehovah God, directly through Jesus. just because the saints have a blessed potions before God, doesn't mean we can get our prayers to Jehovah God by means of the saints. Jesus was and still is the ONLY one in Heaven who can take one's prayers to God ,(John 14:6 Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me). see also (1Tim. 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus). though true we can pray for another , we would still have to go through Jesus, such as saying "in Jesus name." just because Jesus is back in Heaven didn't mean it ended, and now one can use another Spirit being to become the "mediator."

that will be Jesus job until he return all Power BACK OVER to his Father ,(1Cor. 15:25-28 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. For “He has put all things under His feet.” But when He says “all things are put under Him,” it is evident that He who put all things under Him is excepted. Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all). ALL in Heaven understand their Roll, if they didn't, they would be expelled like satan and his weak followers. so NOT one saint will hear ANYONE'S prayer directed to them, then takes it to Jehovah God. because they ALL KNOW, that it's Jesus job to do so. peace

Old 11-02-2018, 10:20 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
With all due respect JoJo, and as a one time forced to be JW myself, I think I will just stick with what Grandma told me.
For a child of Irish immigrant Catholic parents, she was pretty liberal in her beliefs.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 11-02-2018, 12:19 PM

40,039 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Quote:

Quote:
With all due respect JoJo, and as a one time forced to be JW myself, I think I will just stick with what Grandma told me.
For a child of Irish immigrant Catholic parents, she was pretty liberal in her beliefs.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:36 AM

237 posts, read 87,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
but those in Heaven do not pray to or for anyone.....
Then please explain your interp. of Revelation 5:8 && Revelation 8:3-4

That shows me elders/angels/saints offering prayers before God!
Why would the saints still be offering prayers (if they are already before God)?
Who would they be praying for - themselves????? I think NOT.
Certainly they are aware of things on earth or why would they ask 'how long....'? - Revelation 6:10

Old 11-06-2018, 07:59 AM

1,382 posts, read 486,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's never been claimed to be directly biblical by the RCC, as far as I know, but then the RCC is not a sola scriptura church so being biblical is a moot point. Praying to saints is part of the Tradition.
It apparently comes from the tradition of praying to Astarte, the queen of heaven, and Bel, the sun god of Babel, which was also done by Israel, for which they were severely punished in the end.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:10 AM

56,003 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
It apparently comes from the tradition of praying to Astarte, the queen of heaven, and Bel, the sun god of Babel, which was also done by Israel, for which they were severely punished in the end.
I've never heard that before. Do you have a link?

From what I can find (and I confess I didn't look all that hard), references to prayers to saints pops up around the third or fourth century, and by then, Middle Eastern gods would have had little influence on Roman Christianity.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 AM

1,382 posts, read 486,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never heard that before. Do you have a link?

From what I can find (and I confess I didn't look all that hard), references to prayers to saints pops up around the third or fourth century, and by then, Middle Eastern gods would have had little influence on Roman Christianity.

//biblehub.com/2_kings/23-13.htm[SIZE=-1] - 22k[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2][/SIZE] 1 Samuel 7:4 So the Israelites put away their Baals and Ashtoreths ... ... So the Israelites got rid of the statues of Baal
and Astarte and served only the LORD.

Apparently Paul had to fight the idea of the many gods by saying there were no gods, therefore you could eat the food sacrificed to these non existent gods. As for the statues of the queen of heaven, my neighbor, a Roman Catholic, has a statue of Mary, the queen of heaven, in her front yard.

I think it was Constantine's son who made idolatry acceptable to the Roman church. Constantine was the beast with two horns like a lamb (Revelation 13).

Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 AM

56,003 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
//biblehub.com/2_kings/23-13.htm[SIZE=-1] - 22k[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2][/SIZE] 1 Samuel 7:4 So the Israelites put away their Baals and Ashtoreths ... ... So the Israelites got rid of the statues of Baal
and Astarte and served only the LORD.

Apparently Paul had to fight the idea of the many gods by saying there were no gods, therefore you could eat the food sacrificed to these non existent gods. As for the statues of the queen of heaven, my neighbor, a Roman Catholic, has a statue of Mary, the queen of heaven, in her front yard.

I think it was Constantine's son who made idolatry acceptable to the Roman church. Constantine was the beast with two horns like a lamb (Revelation 13).
OK, that didn't really address my post as to how a goddess worshiped in the days of Samuel popped up centuries later in the Roman church, whose followers would likely have never heard of her.

LOL at the mention of your neighbor having a statue of Mary in the front yard. So do thousands of other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or