U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,559,824 times

Advertisements

Is prayer to saints / Mary biblical?

"It is the official position of the Roman Catholic Church that Catholics do not pray TO saints or Mary, but rather that Catholics can ask saints or Mary to pray FOR them"

Thoughts? I never had a good answer for this one until I found this on Got questions.

https://www.gotquestions.org/prayer-saints-Mary.html

"There is absolutely no basis or need to pray to anyone other than God alone. There is no basis for asking those who are in heaven to pray for us. Only God can hear our prayers. Only God can answer our prayers. No one in heaven has any greater access to God's throne than we do through prayer "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
It's never been claimed to be directly biblical by the RCC, as far as I know, but then the RCC is not a sola scriptura church so being biblical is a moot point. Praying to saints is part of the Tradition.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,559,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's never been claimed to be directly biblical by the RCC, as far as I know, but then the RCC is not a sola scriptura church so being biblical is a moot point. Praying to saints is part of the Tradition.

That makes sense, thanks.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:55 AM

8,099 posts, read 7,065,854 times
Comes from a prophetic Word of God , which the vision of the virgin gave to Catherine Laboure which the virgin said to make a Miraculous medal which the vision showed and the vision said ``O Mary , conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee``

Old 10-23-2018, 07:59 AM

28 posts, read 7,612 times
It is idolatrous and wrong.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 - There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you.

1 Timothy 2:5 - For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 AM

25,753 posts, read 13,395,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusLovingBaptist98 View Post

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 - There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you.

1 Timothy 2:5 - For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
I'm going to pray to Mary, St. Philomena, Aphrodite, and Jude The Obscure that the veil of dogma that blinds you be lifted forever and ever. Amen.

You're welcome.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:29 AM

16,256 posts, read 7,644,495 times
Quote:

So, is it "idolatrous and wrong" to ask ANYone to pray for you? Is God the God of the living or the dead?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:35 AM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Is prayer to saints / Mary biblical?

"It is the official position of the Roman Catholic Church that Catholics do not pray TO saints or Mary, but rather that Catholics can ask saints or Mary to pray FOR them"

Thoughts? I never had a good answer for this one until I found this on Got questions.

https://www.gotquestions.org/prayer-saints-Mary.html

"There is absolutely no basis or need to pray to anyone other than God alone. There is no basis for asking those who are in heaven to pray for us. Only God can hear our prayers. Only God can answer our prayers. No one in heaven has any greater access to God's throne than we do through prayer "
My problem with Catholic theology in this regard is that when people ask the saints or Mary to pray FOR them, there is the clear assumption that the saints and Mary can actually hear them make this request. I don't think there is any reason to believe that they can.

I've heard Catholics say, "Well, if you wanted a friend or family member to pray for you, you'd ask them to, right? You wouldn't be praying to them, but you'd simply be requesting their prayers on your behalf." Well, it's not the same thing at all! If I wanted someone to pray for me, I wouldn't just direct my thoughts to that person and request that they pray for me, either verbally or non-verbally. I'd have to pick up the phone, text or email them or talk to them in person. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect them to even know that I needed their prayers.

How is it that when certain people die, they are given supernatural powers enabling them to hear the unspoken desires of the living? I don't believe they are, even if they have been granted "sainthood." And, as good a woman as Jesus' mother obviously must have been, I don't see her as being divine in any way or able to do anything now that any other deceased human being can do.

As far as I'm concerned, we're supposed to pray directly to God. Period.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:50 PM

10,510 posts, read 2,683,290 times
Quote:

Ive always thought it was interesting it specifically mentions these things, like witchcraft, calling up the dead, conjuring spells, etc...

Why are any of these things even possible in the first place?

Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM

600 posts, read 355,576 times
Requests made to dead Saints have been known to have been answered. For example, a request made to the deceased St. Damien of Molokai. It was a Hawaiian lady who got healed of an incurable disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or