U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2018, 09:24 AM
 
Location: New England
32,252 posts, read 21,127,372 times
Reputation: 2282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Kind of the point of what I was asking.
I saw the reference to the bible not Jesus Christ, nothing unusual though i suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2018, 09:31 AM
 
5,972 posts, read 1,708,691 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I saw the reference to the bible not Jesus Christ, nothing unusual though i suppose.
Yes, the Bible is how we know who Jesus is. Feelings can be fickle, and the heart is deceitful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Status: "An English arse is stalking me." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,373 posts, read 8,910,346 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, the Bible is how we know who Jesus is. Feelings can be fickle, and the heart is deceitful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 12:10 PM
 
Location: New England
32,252 posts, read 21,127,372 times
Reputation: 2282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, the Bible is how we know who Jesus is. Feelings can be fickle, and the heart is deceitful.
Yours might be mine isn’t. So I will suggest to you do what your bible says and guard it with all diligence you might then be numbered along with those whom Jesus said are good. The good man brings good things forth from his heart.

Anyway you do preach the Bible not Christ, the reason you don’t see yourself doing that is your heart according TO YOU is deceitful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 12:20 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,930,237 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
In looking at my church’s Sunday bulletin and website, it seems like at least half of the number of church events are secular. For example, my church is currently featuring several plays (performed by church members but totally secular), lectures (by an outside secular speaker and on a secular topic), social justice events (again, totally secular), a children’s “autumn festival”, book groups (for church members, but reading a secular book) and the like. Only a minority of events are “Christian”, such as youth ministry events, classes and the like.

This seems weird to me. Does your church do the same thing: having a large portion of its programs being totally secular?

I’d think that a church would focus on its niche- Christianity- and would leave the secular stuff to other groups. This also seems like unusual marketing; why compete with secular groups for secular events?
Apparently you are looking for and expecting a total Pharisaical experience, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 12:22 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,930,237 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, the Bible is how we know who Jesus is. Feelings can be fickle, and the heart is deceitful.
and written words are void an SPOKEN words are beneficial and lifting.

Everything I know and need to know about Jesus is told to me by the holy spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Status: "An English arse is stalking me." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,373 posts, read 8,910,346 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
and written words are void an SPOKEN words are beneficial and lifting.

Everything I know and need to know about Jesus is told to me by the holy spirit.
You learned about Jesus through scripture or from someone who had read it, just like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Gettysburg, PA
1,618 posts, read 1,622,319 times
Reputation: 3004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
In looking at my church’s Sunday bulletin and website, it seems like at least half of the number of church events are secular. For example, my church is currently featuring several plays (performed by church members but totally secular), lectures (by an outside secular speaker and on a secular topic), social justice events (again, totally secular), a children’s “autumn festival”, book groups (for church members, but reading a secular book) and the like. Only a minority of events are “Christian”, such as youth ministry events, classes and the like.

This seems weird to me. Does your church do the same thing: having a large portion of its programs being totally secular?

I’d think that a church would focus on its niche- Christianity- and would leave the secular stuff to other groups. This also seems like unusual marketing; why compete with secular groups for secular events?
That does seem odd to me. Though I've heard mainstream churches are trying to cater to people so as to provide a smorgas-bord of activities so that everyone who might be slightly interested in church will come (like if the activities are too "churchey" and have too much Bible in them people will not be interested). No experience with that stuff so I can't call it out for sure.

Anyway, I can't think of any regular activity in our church that is secular; the one that may fit is our monthly after-church lunches. But that's not even totally secular because it's fellowship with other Christians which is encouraged in the Bible. We have weekly prayer/Bible study, Men's breakfast (Biblical topic studied) and a Women's get-together twice a month which is also biblical-centered. Then there's Sunday Bible school and Vacation Bible School. Can't think of any others at the moment. I'm sadly not involved too much. Too much darn work and that stupid business I started. I love it, but I feel bad about not being involved too much in my church. One of these days Lord willing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 03:30 PM
 
5,972 posts, read 1,708,691 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yours might be mine isn’t. So I will suggest to you do what your bible says and guard it with all diligence you might then be numbered along with those whom Jesus said are good. The good man brings good things forth from his heart.

Anyway you do preach the Bible not Christ, the reason you don’t see yourself doing that is your heart according TO YOU is deceitful.
It's what the Bible says. I know you only pick and choose the parts you like, but it's what the Bible actually says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,930,237 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You learned about Jesus through scripture or from someone who had read it, just like the rest of us.
stop lying...if Jesus does not SPEAK to you, how sincere is your relationship???

Obviously I did not, because what I know of JESUS does not include building walls, hating LGBTQ, denying others health care / choice. shelter, food, education and EQUALITY. Nor does what I learned about Jesus include stealing children from their parents and using a massive military to intimidate UNARMED refugees seeking a better life.

And if you are not indigenous to this land, you too are ILLEGAL...Jesus told me that as well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top