Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 09:54 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,427,745 times

Advertisements

Matthew 24: 29

29 “Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’[b]

30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth[c] will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.[d] 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Jesus said he will return and be VISIBLE in the sky to where the whole earth will see him. He said it would happen to the generation of people he was speaking to.

Preterism isn't the answer either; Jesus said his return would be visible to all the tribes of the earth. VISIBLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 10:01 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,243,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth[c] will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.[d] 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Jesus said he will return and be VISIBLE in the sky to where the whole earth will see him. He said it would happen to the generation of people he was speaking to.

Preterism isn't the answer either; Jesus said his return would be visible to all the tribes of the earth. VISIBLE.
ERROR, get is right.

Mark 9:1 "And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Luke 9:27 "But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

understand, there is a two fold return to our Lord's coming back. First in Spirit, and then in flesh and bone, where every eye will see him.

PICYJAG.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
ERROR, get is right.

Mark 9:1 "And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Luke 9:27 "But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

understand, there is a two fold return to our Lord's coming back. First in Spirit, and then in flesh and bone, where every eye will see him.

PICYJAG.
Where does it say that?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:

There are several possible conclusions one might reach. Here's a few:

1- Jesus said no such thing.
2- Jesus was wrong.
3- The anonymous guy who "quoted" Jesus got it wrong.
4- He actually DID appear. But nobody was looking at the time. Total bummer.
5- It's just a story.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:46 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Any reason to think he didn't return and we thought he was crazy and tossed him in the Looney hospital?

Before he "comes back", people have to recognize what they are seeing and that is a tall job these days

Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,243,402 times
Hebrews 9:28 "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation".

this is the apperance where "EVERY" eye will see him.

but he returned in Spirit on Pentecost before some standing died.
supportive scripture, John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:17 "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 14:18 "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

now the question, did they "SEE" him in the flesh? lets see.

John 14:21 "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him".

notice what Jadus said, next, John 14:22 "Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

NOT unto the world. see, "EVERY" eye didn't see him but saw his MANIFESTATION, NOT HIS APPEARING, listen. Acts 2:1 "And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Acts 2:2 "And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Acts 2:3 "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them".THAT'S THE MANIFESTATION JUDAS ASKE ABOUT IN JOHN 14:22

why "cloven tongues?". because they would speak in other Languages which is the GIFT of the Holy Spirit, JESUS, now glorified in the Spirit. this MANIFESTATION of speaking of tongue is recorded in 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. (AGAIN, THERE'S THAT MANIFESTATION JUDAS ASKERD ABOUT).
1 Corinthians 12:8 "For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1 Corinthians 12:9 "To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1 Corinthians 12:10 "To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tonguesTHIS IS THE MANIFESTATION THAT HAPPEN ON PENTECOST).
1 Corinthians 12:11 "But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

so by returning on Pentecost , some standing there did not tast death, just as he said. and when the KINGDOM is taken up, 1 Corinthians 15:24 "Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power". then will he return in bodily form and EVERY EYE will see him then, (Rev 1:7).

that's when he "APPEAR" not Manifest, but Appear for the second time as Hebrews 9:28 so correctly states.

a re-read of this post might be needed for clarity.

PICYJAG.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 AM

This isn't a new question of course; 2 Peter mentions "scoffers" who brought this up in the late 1st or early 2nd century. But there it is.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:32 AM

1,183 posts, read 536,658 times
Quote:
This isn't a new question of course; 2 Peter mentions "scoffers" who brought this up in the late 1st or early 2nd century. But there it is.
Scoffers and people asking questions trying to understand Truth. Huge difference as this site has many more scoffers

Old 10-24-2018, 11:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Scoffers and people asking questions trying to understand Truth. Huge difference as this site has many more scoffers

Because it has many simple-minded, bigoted fundies to scoff at.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:53 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:

Theologians and commentators have various views on which generation 'this generation' refers to. Some, such as D. A. Carson take the position that Jesus was referring to his own generation. I don't agree. Others, such as John F. Walvoord and Charles H. Dyer take the position that Jesus was referring to the future generation that would see the signs of which He had just spoken. This is the view to which I hold.

Quoting Walvoord and Dyer with respect to 'this generation' in Matthew 24:34;
This passage contains two key, controversial phrases: ''this generation'' and ''all these things.'' Determining their meaning will help to unlock Christ's teaching here. Carson is emphatic that Jesus meant His own generation, and states: ''This generation' . . . can only with the greatest difficulty be made to mean anything than the generation living when Jesus spoke''. Noland says that the word consistently refers to a single human generation and adds: All the alternative senses proposed here (the Jewish people; humanity; the generation of the end time signs; wicked people ) are artificial and based on the need to protect Jesus from error.'' The mention of error is based on what some consider to be a misstatement by Christ, since a generation is normally from thirty to one hundred years and obviously, the prophecy of the second coming was not fulfilled in that period -- a charge which MacArthur rightly labels ''spurious.'' A better explanation is to allow the word ''generation'' its normal meaning of a period of thirty to one hundred years. However, rather than referring to His own generation, or being in error, Jesus was pointing to the particular future generation that will see the specific signs of the great tribulation. In other words, the same generation that will experience the great tribulation will also witness the second coming of Christ.

Matthew, John F. Walvoord and Charles H. Dyer, pp. 330-31
After his resurrection, the disciples asked Jesus if it was at this time that He would restore the kingdom to Israel. In reply, Jesus told them that it wasn't for them to know the times and epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority. In saying that, Jesus left open the possibility that a great deal of time might elapse before His return.
Acts 1:6 So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, ''Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?'' 7] He said to them, ''It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority.
The age of Israel was put on hold for the calling out of a new people - the Church. Once the Church-age has completed, it will be taken up into heaven and the Tribulation which is the last seven years remaining to the age of Israel will take place. At the end of the Tribulation Jesus will return, physically and visibly, and will establish His kingdom upon the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity