U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:14 PM

20,402 posts, read 9,828,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
That justice according to the thoughts of men is not always fair, right or impartial.
To go into anything else would detract from this thread, but no one should be intimidated.

Indeed, one should listen and follow their own heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hey Jer, don't know if you can identify with this, but i was in my local Portuguese bar a few backs and was talking to this guy who could trace his heritage back to the Mayflower (Said he was a descendant of William Bradford). This guy was maybe around 60 years of age served in the Marine Corps, never saw any action as such, he was found in possession of weed but would not snitch anyone and the power that be respected that. What do you think?.
It was his choice to have possession and he took personal responsibility for his own thought, deed and actions.

Proverbs 28:13
Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:24 PM

20,402 posts, read 9,828,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As some of you may know, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( score one point for me for using the "approved" nomenclature) issues "callings" to its members on a ward (i.e. congregational), a stake (i.e. several groups of congregations) and general church levels. When you are "extended a calling" to serve in a specific position, you may, of course, decline. Most Church members that I know accept every calling that comes their way, believing that the person who issued the calling was inspired to do so. As a kind of an atypical member of the Church, I accept only callings that I think I could enjoy and do a good job at. I haven't had a calling at all for the last couple of years. My husband is currently heading up our ward's Family History (i.e. genealogy) program.

Well, about a hour-and-a-half ago, my husband and I were asked to meet with our Stake President. That would imply that a calling is imminent. Neither of us could imagine what on earth it might be. As it turns out, we were called to serve for the next three years as Sunday School teachers to the inmates at the Salt Lake County Jail. It sounded intriguing, so we accepted.

So, for the next three years, we'll be driving about a half an hour every Sunday to the jail, where we'll be teaching inmates in the minimum, medium and maximum security areas of the jail. These are men who are awaiting trial or sentencing for various crimes. It's a LDS program, but apparently there are even more men who are not LDS than who are who attend. It's a "no touch" facility -- no handshakes, pats on the back or anything. So, within a couple of weeks, we'll be starting. This is my "I was in prison and ye visited me" contribution to the church, and to be perfectly honest, I'd rather be serving in the jail than in the temple. (I hope I don't get struck down for saying that!)
I am sure you will find it intriguing and challenging at the same time, just be who you are as a person and things will be fine.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:41 AM

1,588 posts, read 1,975,363 times
What's your lesson plan going forward Katz, are you going to start out with introductions, light/mild discussion as an opener, dive right into things, or "Use The Force"!? The latter one entailing closing your eyes, opening The Book Of Mormon, pointing to a spot on a page, and starting with that...?

I took my BOM (given to me in Park City Utah in 1989) did the "closed eyes" method and wound up with Chapter 47 in the Book Of Alma. Introduction in italics, followed by the Chapter text...

Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 AM

21,960 posts, read 22,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
What's your lesson plan going forward Katz, are you going to start out with introductions, light/mild discussion as an opener, dive right into things, or "Use The Force"!? The latter one entailing closing your eyes, opening The Book Of Mormon, pointing to a spot on a page, and starting with that...?

I took my BOM (given to me in Park City Utah in 1989) did the "closed eyes" method and wound up with Chapter 47 in the Book Of Alma. Introduction in italics, followed by the Chapter text...
I understand there's a specific curriculum, which (for once) I'm grateful for. And we're going to be shadowing another couple for a few weeks first, to get a feel for it.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 AM

25,820 posts, read 13,417,575 times
I learned an extremely important lesson from my one night in jail as a teen: I don't wanna spend another night in jail.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
Wow, truly incredible.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:26 AM

21,960 posts, read 22,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I learned an extremely important lesson from my one night in jail as a teen: I don't wanna spend another night in jail.

Think how much more pleasant it would have been if I'd been there to preach to you about Jesus.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:30 AM

25,820 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Think how much more pleasant it would have been if I'd been there to preach to you about Jesus.

I'd've listened attentively if you'd brought a blanket. The cell was freezing.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:35 AM

14,818 posts, read 4,970,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I went for 6 months, the shock is waking up each morning to the realization that you aint in your bed, you go in shock every time you wake up.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:26 PM

1,534 posts, read 879,044 times
good luck and God bless and help both of you on your mission. may it be fruitful and beneficial to you and most of all to those you minister to.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 10-30-2018 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or