U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 PM

21,978 posts, read 22,168,365 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( score one point for me for using the "approved" nomenclature) issues "callings" to its members on a ward (i.e. congregational), a stake (i.e. several groups of congregations) and general church levels. When you are "extended a calling" to serve in a specific position, you may, of course, decline. Most Church members that I know accept every calling that comes their way, believing that the person who issued the calling was inspired to do so. As a kind of an atypical member of the Church, I accept only callings that I think I could enjoy and do a good job at. I haven't had a calling at all for the last couple of years. My husband is currently heading up our ward's Family History (i.e. genealogy) program.

Well, about a hour-and-a-half ago, my husband and I were asked to meet with our Stake President. That would imply that a calling is imminent. Neither of us could imagine what on earth it might be. As it turns out, we were called to serve for the next three years as Sunday School teachers to the inmates at the Salt Lake County Jail. It sounded intriguing, so we accepted.

So, for the next three years, we'll be driving about a half an hour every Sunday to the jail, where we'll be teaching inmates in the minimum, medium and maximum security areas of the jail. These are men who are awaiting trial or sentencing for various crimes. It's a LDS program, but apparently there are even more men who are not LDS than who are who attend. It's a "no touch" facility -- no handshakes, pats on the back or anything. So, within a couple of weeks, we'll be starting. This is my "I was in prison and ye visited me" contribution to the church, and to be perfectly honest, I'd rather be serving in the jail than in the temple. (I hope I don't get struck down for saying that!)

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-24-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 07:56 PM

56,277 posts, read 54,731,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As some of you may know, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( score one point for me for using the "approved" nomenclature) issues "callings" to its members on a ward (i.e. congregational), a stake (i.e. several groups of congregations) and general church levels. When you are "issued a calling" to serve in a specific position, you may, of course, decline. Most Church members that I know accept every calling that comes their way, believing that the person who issued the calling was inspired to do so. As a kind of a atypical member of the Church, I accept only callings that I think I could enjoy and do a good job at. I haven't had a calling at all for the last couple of years.

Well, about a hour-and-a-half ago, my husband and I were asked to meet with our Stake President. That would imply that a calling is imminent. Neither of us could imagine what on earth it might be. As it turns out, we were called to serve for the next three years as Sunday School teachers to the inmates at the Salt Lake County Jail. It sounded intriguing, so we accepted.

So, for the next three years, we'll be driving about a half an hour every Sunday to the jail, where we'll be teaching inmates in the minimum, medium and maximum security areas of the jail. These are men who are awaiting trial or sentencing for various crimes. It's a LDS program, but apparently there are even more men who are not LDS than who are who attend. It's a "no touch" facility -- no handshakes, pats on the back or anything. So, within a couple of weeks, we'll be starting. This is my "I was in prison and ye visited me" contribution to the church, and to be perfectly honest, I'd rather be serving in the jail than in the temple. (I hope I don't get struck down for saying that!)
So interesting, Katz! Please check back in as you feel appropriate and let us know how it is going. I would be very interested in hearing of your experience.

I have a friend who does prison ministry work, but he is a black man, SDA, working with incarcerated black men, so it is a different dynamic.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:58 PM

15,503 posts, read 12,190,741 times
Cool... jail , prison, nursing home..a Downs Syndrome resident home, hospice....so filled with raw love to give and feel.
Your heart will never be so opened.
Mark my words.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:05 PM

14,900 posts, read 5,002,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As some of you may know, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( score one point for me for using the "approved" nomenclature) issues "callings" to its members on a ward (i.e. congregational), a stake (i.e. several groups of congregations) and general church levels. When you are "extended a calling" to serve in a specific position, you may, of course, decline. Most Church members that I know accept every calling that comes their way, believing that the person who issued the calling was inspired to do so. As a kind of a atypical member of the Church, I accept only callings that I think I could enjoy and do a good job at. I haven't had a calling at all for the last couple of years. My husband has headed up our ward's genealogy program.

Wow, SO PROUD O YOU!

You are very lucky to have such a chance, really lucky, there is nothing better than prison ministry..........Thing about prisons, I have spoke in a bunch of Texas prisons and everytime I taught, the room was full of people crying the whole time, every single time, especially when we went to female prisons, those women cry all through the service and hang on to everything you say......Wished I was still doing that, I am jealous, too damned lazy more like, but congrats, you will become very special to alot of people now. People seem to take church drastically different behind bars, they get emotional after looking forward to a break like that, God is all you have in jail.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM

15,503 posts, read 12,190,741 times
I have a feeling people that have done this sort of thing will super 'get it'...it is transforming .

Old 10-24-2018, 08:29 PM

784 posts, read 256,762 times
As a probation officer - I unfortunately see lots of people who "found God" in prison or jail. Unfortunately, the people who make the biggest issue of "finding God" are usually the first ones to return to the same activities that got them in jail or prison to begin with. Then, they get into trouble all over again.

But, hopefully you get some sort of message across to some of them.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:40 PM

It isn't about the majority, it never is, it is the one. You run a mission or half way house trying to help people like that and you already know that you will be taken advantage of by the 95 percent, and you will work and work, teach and teach spending dollar after dollar when you watch all of them go back to their heroin, and their crime, but when you have turned that one couple around, got them off of drugs and they become missionaries in third world countries, all that work and effort finding just that one is worth everything. But even if all your efforts are wasted, it wasn't a waste for you, for you it is a blessing no matter the outcome. I pretty much believe everyone is saved, and so I don't see it as saving souls but that you are involved trying to do good, and trying to help somebody else enrich they lives.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:05 PM

1,259 posts, read 298,110 times
Do you think you misled people with the title of your post?

I mean don't you think that most people would think you were actually going to jail when you posted that title?

Old 10-24-2018, 09:09 PM

That is the purpose of a title, to draw attention enough that people will click on it.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 PM

21,978 posts, read 22,168,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Do you think you misled people with the title of your post?
I hope so.

Quote:
I mean don't you think that most people would think you were actually going to jail when you posted that title?
Well, it got your attention, didn't it? If I'd said I was going to teach Sunday School, how many people would have even bothered reading my OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or